Author Topic: Hi there everyone! x  (Read 2926 times)

Offline daniellesdogs

• Adult Cat
Re: Hi there everyone! x
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2008, 17:58:08 PM »
you know your dogs better than any one. chuck one dog out and let the one who been with cats meet first. your kittens will hiss and spit like made but reasure them its ok. cuddle dog, then them till all is carm . let the two dogs back to gether so can smell kitten on each other and you, when carm introduse your second pooch. when i got my cats i had 6 dogs and they love each other most the time.i do get a grow and hiss now and then but no vet trips.
your boxers are good looking dogs
good luck

[attachment deleted by admin]
danielle

Offline Ellie

• Super Cat
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2008, 10:37:44 AM »
Hi Vicky and welcome to Purrs  :hi:

Your dogs are gorgeous  :Luv2:

Look forward to seeing pics of Saffie and Skye  :)

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2008, 10:55:43 AM »
Hi Vicky and  :welcome: to Purrs,

Your doggies are lovely ... although I'm not really a "dog" person I do have a bit of a soft spot for boxers.  I'm sure you will have a great time on this site it's very informative and friendly.

I found the following link about introducing kittens to dogs which you may find useful:  http://www.bestfriends.org/theanimals/pdfs/dogs/introducingcatanddog.pdf

Looking forward to seeing pics of the babies when they arrive.

All the best

Sam, Foxy, Zephyr and Rossi xxx
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2008, 08:41:07 AM »
Hi VIcky, your dogs are gorgeous, but whose is the pointy nose to right of picture in the bottom photo? Doesn't quite look like a boxer dog to me  ;)

looking forward to pix of your kitties once they settle in. ;D

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2008, 00:30:17 AM »
Hi Vicky &  :welcome: to Purrs

You're dogs are gorgeous  :Luv:  Look forward to hearing all about the kittens when they arrive  :wow:

Offline Taffadill

• Kitten
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008, 18:16:32 PM »
Hi Vickyb... I just found this site... it seems very nice ... Good luck on friday picking your new kitties up. Vivienn

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 16:00:25 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs Vickyb... :)

Your boxer's are gorgeous....bet your so excited for Friday...... ;D

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 15:15:49 PM »
Hah - crossed in the post!   :evillaugh:  Lovely pics!

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 15:14:50 PM »
Hi Vicki - a big welcome to you and your extensive family  ;D

Exciting - it's always fun having kittens around.  Bet Rufus is looking down and having a bit of a grin to himself....  :hug:

I second what DM's suggested - have had dogs and cats myself without ever having had any bother, or being too particular other than to give them both time and space to get used to each other.  Best not to leave them alone unsupervised initially, but let them set the pace.  When we fostered a friend's kitten for them, our dog was delighted - she just saw another playmate, and the kitten was likewise enchanted - the pair of them were great mates from the outset, and tussled and tumbled about together in no-time - Tess (our dog) was very gentle, and seemed to know just how far she could go.  Paddy (our beloved moggie) was on the other hand outraged - and would only watch from a safe distance, hissing and arching his back if the little feller got anywhere near.  That lasted for a whole day, until curiousity got the better of Paddy, and he had to have a nose to nose and a close kitten inspection   :rofl:  After that everything was cool.   8)

Good luck with your introductions and,  well - the inevitable - piccies please?   :wow:

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 15:11:07 PM »
OMGGGGGGGGGGG how cute are they  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:

Everyone is lovely here, I'm guilty of throwing in a post or two of my pooch.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline vickyb

• Kitten
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 15:07:45 PM »
Will try & post some photo's of new babies on friday....

Know this isn't a doggie forum but thought i'd post some of the dogs until i can post some kitty one's on friday!! x :shy:

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 15:03:36 PM »
Welcome on board ... we will be needing pictures of these 2 when they arrive  :Luv:

I'm trying to remember what I did .. apparently my memory is bad as I can't remember and it was only 6 months ago  :shocked:

I definitely separated the 2 of them. I let Memphis find his feet and get used to his surroundings and make himself at home. It didn't take long at all. Then I brought Molly in on a lead. Memphis did a lot of hissing and curling of his back if she got too close. I just let Molly do her own thing, she was so scared of this teeny little hissing machine though  :rofl: I praised her when she appeared more relaxed and let Memphis get on with his own thing. He got big and brave and realised she won't hurt him, he got more and more comfortable and he's been bullying her ever since  :evillaugh: They really are the best of friends and Molly lets him walk all over her.

My rabbit Mig (house bun) doesn't like him though. He tolerates him. Memphis is doing is best to be friends (he gets upset that Mig loves Molly but hates him). I often find him laying next to Mig in his cage .. Miggy doesn't have a problem with that.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 15:04:17 PM by Den »

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Dark Moon

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 14:54:47 PM »
Well GOOD ON YOU for giving those two wee girls a home. Please keep us informed as to how they are doing.

As to the dogs....  Slow is the thing. They will be sooooooooooooooo excited at these new, differently smelling, and wee creatures. They will all come to know and care and protect one another, but for the first couple of days, just take it slowly. LOVE the doggies. Just be watchful. They can hurt when they don't mean to.

I really don't think there will be any trouble. I too have had dogs and cats and horses (and fish and birds and hamsters and guinea pigs and goats and turtles and and) all my life and, frankly, have never taken any particular care when introducing new ones. And also never had one injured. But it is always wise to be a little careful.

Animals always recognize babies - of whatever species - and tend to react accordingly. Just watch them. It's something new. And dogs are so 'olfactory'. Hold the new babies close to you and let the doggies sniff them (briefly. Don't want the kittens upset either!). Maybe keep them apart for a day or so - while yet taking time to 'introduce' them - letting the doggies smell the kittens next to you. But, you know, I seriously expect the bigger 'trauma' will be for the kittens. They need to be introduced to the dogs as much as the dogs to them.

But (you don't need me to tell you this!) in an astonishingly short time, they will all meld into one huge happy family. In my childhood home it was a Doberman (rescued from abuse), two cats (my Mum's Blue Boy and my Muff) and my rabbit (my Father's next most favourite animal. His favoiurite was the hamster. Never knew why!) all playing together on the livingroom floor.

Warmest of welcomes to Saffie and Skye!

Offline vickyb

• Kitten
Hi there everyone! x
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 14:35:10 PM »

Hi, been reading through posts for a few days so just thought i'd introduce myself.  I'm Vicky, live with my OH & 3 children, we have 2 boxer dogs ~ Diesel  (had since 9 wks old ~ now 3 yrs old)  & Cassie (20mths old who we rescued last yr).  Also have 2 horses ~ Rebel & Storm....and 3 rabbits!.  We live in Lancashire and live in a large bungalow with plenty of land (about 2 acres). 

We are eagerly expecting our 2 new arrivals on Friday ~ 2 kittens we're giving a new start - from cats protection.  They are two females, approx 6 mths old from same litter and they are both grey/white.  We are naming them Saffie & Skye.  Skye is a lot smaller than Saffie but Saffie is more timid than Skye..bless. 

I lost my rescue cat Rufus about 5 yrs ago now and was really heartbroken at the time, so these will be first kitties since rufus.  He never left my side and was so gentle & loving, beautiful to look at (longhaired red) and i still miss him loads.

Anyway, we are all getting prepared for friday...spent a fortune already!!  The kittens were spayed yesterday so hopefully will have recovered enough to come home for friday.

Would be grateful though if anyone could please offer any tips or advice on introducing the new arrivals to the dogs etc.   Cassie was brought up with a cat before we rescued her and i swear to god she thinks she is one...she is so feline in her ways....but Diesel has never been near a cat.  He is so soft and not aggressive at all, but i'm really anxious about them all getting along.  I know it will be a slow process & slowly does it but i just hope everything goes ok.  I really don't want cass & diesel to feel pushed out. 

x x x

Link to CatChat