Author Topic: Vacuum cleaners - recommendations  (Read 29166 times)

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
Re: Vacuum cleaners - recommendations
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2008, 20:29:57 PM »
I am still waiting for someone to invent my favourite hoover... which would play music instead of that horrid vrrrrrrr vrrrrrr vrrrrrr noise when I turn it on, cordless so it won't tangle up in something every time I change directions, and picks up any object that gets in the way (furniture, a piece of sock, cat toy or whatever) by itself.

Offline SpecialRed

• Senior Cat
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2008, 20:22:46 PM »
It's probably down to personal preference.  I have one friend who hates her Dyson and another who swears by it.

Its actually not about personal preference one is simply better than the other!! lol

Offline bren

• Adult Cat
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2008, 17:26:14 PM »
I have a dyson allergy one I thinks it brill

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2008, 13:30:23 PM »
My sis has a Miele washing machine... its about 6 years old... and silent as heck

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2008, 13:24:31 PM »
The Miele S4281 was top rated (75%) by Which, followed by the cat & dog (74%)
There was also a cheaper bosch that got 72% http://www.johnlewis.com/230475854/Product.aspx

I am a Miele fan though. I want a silent motor washing machine but my other Miele one is only 4 years old so I have a long wait  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2008, 13:06:46 PM »
Thanks - that is the one I was looking at - I don't think the other one is very powerful. I have seen yours for about £160 delivered. OH thinks I like buying things for the sake of it which is partly true I suppose  :shy:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Mojo

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2008, 13:03:03 PM »
I think this one is mine, there is also a Cat and Dog 700??

http://www.miele.co.uk/Products/Features.aspx?pid=539

Yes Ruth-Was using it in the bedroom one day (using the tube with no attachments as it was the only way it would suck anything at all) and I suddenly smelt burning. I quickly turned it off and grabbed a teatowel to put over the fire alarm. I then called my OH who said "What are you doing?" "The Dyson caught fire" "Are you sure?" At which point I removed my hand from the alarm and it went off. I think it must have been a blockage somewhere (though I seemed to empty it all the time hoping the suction would get better-it didn't)

Needless to say the Dyson was swiftly removed and replaced by the shiny new Miele  :naughty:

Add Glitter to Pictures

R.I.P My beautiful Mango xx 13/05/2006 - 01/11/2009

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2008, 12:59:43 PM »
Our last one overheated and cut out - but might have been something to do with hoovering up brick & plaster dust  :evillaugh:

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2008, 12:57:05 PM »
Mojo it caught fire???? OMG.

I don't mind the Dyson cylinder clean up. I have it down well where I wrap a bag aroudn the cylinder and then once its tight around it I empty the cylinder. At the end of using it I just use a damp cloth to wipe it down or use the handheld.  :evillaugh:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2008, 12:54:49 PM »
I think mine is the DC07

I am terrible for making my mind up and will need to study all the models before deciding. Then I have to find the cheapest place to buy it  :evillaugh:

Which model do you have? - aren't there a couple of cat & dog Miele models?

Offline Mojo

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2008, 12:47:49 PM »
In answer to your question about the Miele Mark- Its relatively quiet; when you have it on the "everyday" setting its not too loud, I don't find it irritating like I did with the Dyson (which caught on fire BTW! It was the DC07 Animal and I also had the problem with the hose twisting- GRRR!!!)

When its on the Sooper Dooper suck-everything-in-its-path setting its quite loud, but not deafening. Let me know what you think when you get one! ;D

Add Glitter to Pictures

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2008, 12:43:01 PM »
I hate emptying dysons - I think it is so unhygienic  :sick: - I have never managed to empty it without some going on the floor and it never all comes out - I hate having to pick clumps of fluff off the middle bit  :sick:

Especially as most house dust is dead skin cells  :sick:

I think I will order a Miele today!  :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 12:43:33 PM by Mark »

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2008, 12:37:34 PM »
I have to say just saw the Miele one online, and whilst it looks good, I have to go with Dyson. The compactness and no bag thing does it for me.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2008, 12:30:52 PM »
Are the Meile ones quiet?

The Dyson is really loud - I hate it.

Offline Mojo

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2008, 12:25:45 PM »
Thanks everyone, this is really interesting,

We currently have a Henry and I HATE him, he bashes into walls and doors and doesn't seem to pick up the hair very well.

Hubby won't consider a Dyson despite me wanting one initally.

But in Currys at the weekend I was looking at the Miele cat and dog model so its interesting that its recommended, what put me off was knowing whether it was suitable for wooden flooring.

Hubby is currently looking at a Vax Mac 3 (something along those lines)

I have the Miele Cat & Dog hoover, can recommend it! It came with about three different heads, (one with the whirling motor, one normal one for wooden floors, and a smaller one with a motor for the sofas/Stairs etc! also there are some smaller heads inside a flap on the front of the hoover)

The large motor powered head is great for carpets, it really sucks up the fluff! The smaller motor one is good for sofas and the normal one I use on my wooden floors. There are also different levels of "suck power" if you will, When I first bought mine I had it on the most powerful setting, and it really brought up all the hairs etc. Then you can use a slightly less powerful setting for every day/every week hoovering. I loooooove my Miele!!!  :shy:

Add Glitter to Pictures

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2008, 09:31:27 AM »
I just looked at the Which top 75 and most are Miele, a few Dyson, the Sebo Felix, one bosch (pro energy), one Nilfisk. If you want to have a look, you can get a months free trial but remember to cancel, unlike my OH who has been paying the sub for months  :evillaugh:

The top 4 were all Miele, followed by the Nilfisk. Even the highest scoring only scored 75% with Which.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 09:40:04 AM by Mark »

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2008, 09:21:28 AM »
Thanks everyone, this is really interesting,

We currently have a Henry and I HATE him, he bashes into walls and doors and doesn't seem to pick up the hair very well.

Hubby won't consider a Dyson despite me wanting one initally.

But in Currys at the weekend I was looking at the Miele cat and dog model so its interesting that its recommended, what put me off was knowing whether it was suitable for wooden flooring.

Hubby is currently looking at a Vax Mac 3 (something along those lines)

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2008, 08:09:39 AM »
I do think the Dyson's are cheaply made from cheap parts now - unlike the old ones that were made in te UK. OK you get a 5 year guarantee but I'm still not impressed. The tube on my old DC01 never buckled but it does constantly with the animal. cutting the airflow off. I even got a new tube under guarantee when the old one came away from the fitting last year. As someone else pointed out, emptying them isn't very nice. I would rather pay for bags and be able to dispose of safely. Another thing is,the large turbo brush is usedess so I have always used the smaller one but even then, it doesn't pick up all the hairs - you just have to see how much hair my G-tech carpet sweeper picks up to see. I know their is a newer Dyson animal out now - mine is the purple/silver one from 3 years ago. I will def give Miele a go the next time - either that or the Sebo cylinder which has a bumper all round. I am always chipping paint off banisters etc with the Miele.

I'm sure Dyson are better than a hoover constellation (I remember the pink one my mum had in the 60's  :evillaugh: ) but still not great  :evillaugh:

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 08:14:27 AM by Mark »

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2008, 07:54:12 AM »
I am going to trade my Dyson DC011 for the Dyson Animal. Has to be.. the DC011 is lovely but is bulky for a cylinder, and whilst has done  a great job cleaning, the engine got dusty after I cleaned up plaster dust  :shy: .  I got Dyson in to service it and the guy said apparently I've damaged some part of the motor, cost to replace the motor to get it back to what it was and the service was nearly as much as the Animal, so I'm going to just get a new one, they'll recycle the old one for me. Which I don't mind as its well over 5 years old and has serviced my house well. But it is terrible at picking up cat hair so the Animal is the way to go.

Offline HaneyHarperIndyMum (Val)

• Senior Cat
  • Harper Boy
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2008, 06:26:09 AM »
I also have the Dyson Animal (purple).  I have had it three years and loved it so much I bought my daughter in-law one for Christmas 6 months later.  I really like the power and it does a fantastic job with pet hair.  Oh and yes Dyson is a bit costly but in the long run it is well worth it. I have never regretted buying it.  It is the best vacuum I have ever used and at 54 years old I have used my fair share. lol :rofl:

There are two things I don't like about it though, the first one is that it is heavy and my house is a two story home so lugging it up the stairs is a pain and the second thing is that I wish it were more low profile so it would fit underneath my bathroom vanities when I vacuum my hard floors. 

I'm thinking about buying a second vacuum just for my upstairs and think I may go for one of the Oreck models since they are low profile and weight only about 8 to 10 pounds.   Has anyone used an Oreck? 
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 06:34:52 AM by HunterHarleyMum »

Offline gibraltarcat

• Senior Cat
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2008, 21:45:37 PM »
I've got the Miele Cat and Dog. Had it for years now and love it. Great for cat hairs and everything else. Very light and maneuverable.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2008, 20:40:32 PM »
I have the boggo Dyson DC107 (I think), and in comparison to my previous cleaners, its fantastic  ;D

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2008, 20:37:25 PM »
I thought Dyson Animal too heavy and gave it to my brother for his birthday. I went and bought an old model DC05 and a turbo brush but turbo brush not picking up as good as it used to now and £30-40 for a new brush as out of guarantee period  :(

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2008, 18:54:36 PM »
I have a dyson animal and it's great.  Regardless of whether other makes are better or not, a dyson certainly isn't rubbish so anyone who has been that unimpressed must have had a faulty one, imo.

I think the old Dysons were impressive - I had a DC01 but the newer ones aren't a patch. Also they are very noisy. I would never buy another one.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2008, 18:12:08 PM »
It's probably down to personal preference.  I have one friend who hates her Dyson and another who swears by it.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2008, 18:06:56 PM »
I have a dyson animal and it's great.  Regardless of whether other makes are better or not, a dyson certainly isn't rubbish so anyone who has been that unimpressed must have had a faulty one, imo.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2008, 18:00:01 PM »
Miele do quite a few models. I will have to have a look as OH is signed up with Which online

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2008, 17:51:36 PM »
The Miele one got a good review in Which

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2008, 17:43:16 PM »
I am getting a Miele the next time - I'm not at all impressed with my Dyson animal. I just know that anything Miele does what it is supposed to - If my washing machine & dryer are anything to go by.

There is a budget one made by G-tech that I think would be pretty good. If you buy direct from the manufacturer, it costs £79.99 but I found it here for £50
http://www.unifit.co.uk/default.cfm?viewprod&id=10715

The man that owns the company used to be the chief engineer for Vax but started hs own company, G-tech. The rechargable carpet sweepers are great and pick up loads of  hair that gets trapped in carpet fibres that a dyson can't get. Loads of people on here will testify  :evillaugh:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2008, 17:17:37 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs, madasacatter!

We have the Miele Cat and Dog and find it excellent.  We have wooden and tiled floors, plus various rugs, throughout and it works superbly on everything plus the soft furnishings.

We also have one of those Swiffer thingies and that is superb on hard flooring - use the dry cloth and then the wet cloth for optimum results.  The dry cloth is great for picking up cat hairs.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline madasacatter

• Senior Cat
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2008, 17:03:51 PM »
We have 2 Dyson uprights in the house.  They are noisier, more cumbersome to use, more flimsy (plasticy), and heavier to use than the two Miele we have.  We have a Miele cat and dog, and also the TT500 Blue coloured cylinder, I would never go back to the Dyson for the reasons  mentioned earlier.  I don't like having to pay for the bags, but the Dyson dust tank used to fill up with long coated gsd fur so quickly, and to have to go out to the wheelie bin all weathers and have the dust blow back into your face and eyes is no fun.

If repairs are needed, Miele send you a box one day, you pack it up and they collect the next day, repairs take just a few days.  The bags hold and compress the dirt surprisingly well, so they do not work out that expensive I suppose.  Woodchip litter can be tricky, but is picked up well by these machines, as well as the lightweight type of litter.  i have heard good reports about the Sebo upright too, my sister has one and love it.
Coventry Cat Group

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2008, 16:27:14 PM »
I am with Maddiesmum on this one - I thought the Dyson was UTTER RUBBISH and, realising that I used to spend most my time shouting at it, I Freecycled it and got myself a Miele, which I can heartily recommend.

In my house, I have victorian wooden floorboards, slate floors, carpet and thick rugs. Oh, and three persian cats. The Miele more than capably copes with all floor surfaces, sofas, curtains, etc. Okay, it has a bag but other than that, I would certainly say that after the Dyson, this one is a joy to use!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 16:20:46 PM »
Dyson, Dyson, Dyson...  I have a DC14 which for some reason is called 'Vroom' but it has the same techno bits as the animal.  I am thoroughly ashamed every single time I hoover at how much dirt it picks up.  My carpets don't even look dirty but I get half a chamber full of fluff each and every time.

Dyson give a 5 year guarantee nowadays so you can't go far wrong.  The one I have has a floor bar that automatically adjusts to the height of the floor ie laminates v carpet.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 12:47:38 PM »
I got rid of my Dyson, I hated it and it hated me.  I now have  a Miele pet one and it's brilliant.  Also the Vileda electric brush is marvellous

Offline moiramassey

• Adult Cat
  • Moira's Mitzi
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 12:11:11 PM »
I also have the Dyson pet hair special and find it is excellent.

Blacken, Mini, Flynn and Mitzi
"One cat just leads to another" Ernest Hemingway

Offline ChrisB

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Gizmo, Bubbles, Cleo, Daisy and Ellie
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 11:48:09 AM »
I've got a Dyson (DC20 Animal with turbo attachments for pet hair) and totally recommend it - they are quite expensive but, as BC says, the difference is amazing.
Unconditional love is hard to find unless you have a cat

Offline lucy

• Hero Cat
  • Xanthe
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 11:41:28 AM »
We went for a Henry as they are reasonably cheap and reliable - there must be a reason why every office has one! Not sure that they have any special powers for cat hair though!

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 11:32:44 AM »
we got a cylinder Sebo (not bagless though) which works well on carpet and on our horrible wood kitchen floor & bathroom cat litter hoovering. I've always liked them cos you can take them to bits yourself if something (eg cat toy...) gets stuck. Plus it's light.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 11:28:34 AM »
you can't go past a dyson in my opinion. When I first bought mine, I first vacuumed with my old hoover then went over with the dyson. The cylinder was full before I had done half the room... :-:

It contends with a shedding labrador cross and two cats and does a fab job. Even on my close-pile carpet you can see the strips that have been hoovered after a week of not hoovering ......

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
Vacuum cleaners - recommendations
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 11:00:41 AM »
We're after and new one, and with 2 cats we seem to get hair everywhere, any purrs recommendation for me??

We have laminate flooring as well so would need to be good on that

Link to CatChat