Author Topic: Indoor cats and cats in the car  (Read 1783 times)

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
Re: Indoor cats and cats in the car
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 11:14:15 AM »
We have 2 indoor cats, Jess is 22 months and Milo is 6 months. Jess was very destructive when he arrived (milo didn't arrive till a year later), furniture scratched and blinds chewed to name 2 things. Milo has been much better behaved.

We leave ours around 10-11 hours a day and they seem to cope fine (Jess is a very delicate sausage but this isn't related to this) I feel happier leaving 2 for this length of time than I did when we had Jess on his own.

From what I can gather the boys spend much of the day sleeping but like Suzanne we often find things knocked over,

Milo doesn't mind car travel but Jess hates it and it stresses him, but then we don't drive so its not something he encounters frequently.

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Amber and Chilli
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 09:25:56 AM »
Hiya, welcome to Purrs! I am now coming to the end of my adoption story, I am hopefully bringing my 2 new friends home tomorrow afternoon! Originally I really wanted kittens, but I am having 2 6/7 month old siblings instead as both myself and my partner work full time, and even though he works shifts, they would be left to 4-5 hours most days. I would suggest that you look for cats 6 months or older as you will be out for most of the day. Siblings from the same litter would be ideal, but 2 cats who have always lived together and enjoy each others company can be just as close.

As far as travelling goes, my last cat did not travel well, on the 1/2 hour journey home when I picked him up he had every kind of accident going and the car smelled interesting for a few days! Every time he has been in his carrier since then, he has usually at least peed in it. Some cats, however will be much better travellers but it is really up to individual animals. Once you have found your cats and got to know their personalities, you willbe able to judge much better what is best for them.

Good luck!

http://furrytripod.wordpress.com/ : Casper's tripod blog and sponsorship page

Offline Reynard

• Super Cat
  • Pearl & Poppy
    • Post 14 Digital Motorsport Photography
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 23:10:05 PM »
Hiya Neil, welcome to Purrs!  :welcome:

I think you might be better off getting two cats if you're out all day - the saying goes that the best toy for a cat is another cat.  ;) I'd also second the suggestion re acquiring adults rather than kittens as there's less chance of shredded furniture etc. Rescues regularly have cats wanting to go as pairs, so that'd be a good place to start. Not sure where you're based, but getting in touch with your local branch of Cats Protection would be a good start.

As for travelling, my two absolutely love it!  ;D Pearl is used to long journeys as she is a show cat and she's quite comfortable being in her carrier strapped into the seat next to me. Toby doesn't do much in the way of car journeys these days, but he used to commute with me to London on a regular basis - he hates carriers so travels on a lead and harness, where the handle of the lead gets fixed through the rear seat belt so he has the back seat but can't come through to the front. I do pander to his whims and take him for a drive every now and again as he loves the change of scenery.

I think that the best approach regarding travelling with your cat(s) or leaving them at home is try both and see how things pan out. You may find that they adore going with you but on the other hand, they may decide that they prefer staying on familiar ground. The latter shouldn't be an issue as it's fairly easy to invest in an automated feeder for wet food and keep fresh water and a bowl of dry food handy.

Offline kris

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 13:42:57 PM »
I think it's more likely that cats will learn to cope with being alone, as long as they have adequate food and water and things to play with and it's not too long, than they are to cope with being taken to a new place every week but you can always try it one evening and see how they react, you might be lucky  :)

Offline Ngriffiths

• Kitten
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 13:31:03 PM »
Hi, and thanks for the information.

I guess it was just my assumption that having the cat with me as much as physically possible would be of benefit to him/her.  Even though bringing the cat to my parents, I would be staying there too etc so actually only away from the cat for 2-3 hours.  However, the advice seems to be that they will be perfectly fine left alone?

I am only away on Friday evenings during the football season (although this is 9 months of the year) and I was planning on getting the cat when the season finishes shortly, in order to get the cat used to it's current surroundings etc for 3 months or so first.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 13:08:15 PM »
Hi and  :welcome: to Purrs.

I have indoor cats and they are fine when I'm out at work.  I think they probably sleep a lot of the time (though not all the time judging by the things knocked over!) and are then lively when I'm home.  Indoor cats do need you to spend a fair amount of time with them when you are home so that they don't get bored, so it wouldn't be ideal if you were out every evening as well as out during the day, but if you're home most evenings then they will be fine.  Just make sure you get them lots of toys, activity centres etc. and spend some time in interactive play with them each day.

As you're out at work, it would probably be best if you didnt' get very young kittens, but an older kitten or adult cat would cope fine with you being out all day.  I also agree that 2 is good if they are going to be indoor cats as they then have a playmate and companion when you're out. 

Some cats do travel well and would cope with going to stay somewhere else at weekends, but most cats do not and are best off staying in their own home.  Are you away every friday night, or just during the football season?  Cats cope well with being left alone for 24 hours so it would probably be better if you left them at home with food in an automatic feeder.  You could maybe get a neighbour or friend to pop in and keep an eye on them.

Offline tiga

• Senior Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 12:29:31 PM »
Hi

I have just got two indoor cats about 6 weeks ago. My advice would be to get two cats that are used to each other if you the space. I work full time and I think it is nicer for them to have company (as long as they get along). I was a bit worried about leaving one on its own all day and think 2 is perfect. I am pretty sure mine play together quite a bit as stuff is always moved about when I get home, although I think they do plenty of lying on my bed as well.

I would suggest getting an adult cat with working. Mine are between 1-2 years old and I have been really lucky as they have been really good. No destroyed furniture, always using the litter tray and none of the hassle of kittens. But they have plenty of energy and love playing so I have the best of both worlds. Kittens need a lot more attention at the start. I would also look for a cat that has been used to being indoors. MIne had always been indoor cats and don't really have much interest in going outside.

I'm not sure about the travelling. I would think the cat would probably prefer to stay at home. I go away overnight occassionally for work and have an automatic feeder. I also have a friend check on them and they are absolutely fine overnight on their own. They are always glad to see me when I get home though!

Hope that helps a bit.

Offline Ngriffiths

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 12:25:34 PM »
Thanks for the reply.

I previosuly rehomed a kitten who made a wonderful house cat, and was quite relaxed in the car.  (Unfortunately, my girlfriend and I split up and she took the cat).  I miss having a cat around the house and wonder if I was lucky with the cat I housed previously.  I admit I could prob leave the cat at home whilst I travel away at weekends but think I would feel more comfortable taking her with me and knowing she was ok (I guess the question is would she prefer just to be left there?)

Offline kris

• Adult Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 12:19:12 PM »
Tough one, my view is that older cats make great housecats, they require far less attention and are far more likely to be content with their own company and less likely to become depressed or distressed (cats are mostly very sociable). By older I don't mean on their last legs but a 6 or 7 year old cat might have another 8-10 years of life if you are lucky.

However lots of cats hate being in a carrier or box, you'd be quite lucky if you found one that didn't mind, so if this is going to be a regular thing then a kitten at least may be able to learn to tolerate a carrier, a car and a change in scenery, sadly cats are not generally like dogs who are reasonably content as long as they are with their owner, cats are very teritorial and don't really react well to change.

Anyway, those are my instinctive thoughts and just my opinion, I'm sure there will be others with other views. Good luck though  :)

Offline Ngriffiths

• Kitten
Indoor cats and cats in the car
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 12:08:53 PM »
Hi all,

This is my first post as I am looking to get a cat and would love some advice from experienced cat owners.

Firstly, I am looking at getting a "house cat". Ideally a kitten/young cat that I would prefer to stay in the house for safety reasons etc.

However, I do work full time and am slightly worried that would this mean the cat will get bored as I am not in 24/7?

Finally, I play football at weekends and this often means me travelling about an hour and a half and staying at my parents house every Friday night. Am I likely to stress the cat too much if I was to take him/her with me, she could then relax and have free run of parents house once arrive? Obviously, I would get the best or most comfortable carrier available on the market to keep my cat happy and comfortable whilst in the car.

Advice would be appreciated.

Neil

Link to CatChat