Author Topic: Rescue cat insurance  (Read 2257 times)

Offline Kimberley

• Adult Cat
Re: Rescue cat insurance
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2007, 21:25:38 PM »
It would be twin sister then Kimberley lol, thats my Daisy on there  ;D

Tee hee, well he looks the spit of her..hold on i'll put up a pic to show you...be back in a mo :)

Here he is...

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 21:35:22 PM by Kimberley »

Offline sonya

• Distinguished Cat
  • Ozzy Daisy and Ebony
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2007, 21:21:07 PM »
It would be twin sister then Kimberley lol, thats my Daisy on there  ;D
Cats are like vodkas-you cant just have one

Offline Kimberley

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2007, 21:19:07 PM »
Sonya, your cat in your avator looks like my kittens twin brother, he is identical to your one.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2007, 20:12:42 PM »
Iain, Lexy is a rescue from Battersea and her adoption date became her birthdate minus 3 years (the age the vets guessed her to be based on teeth etc).  So I gave her birthdate online to the insurer as I knew it was on her paperwork, and when I had to claim for her surgeries after her fall, most of the data about previous conditions my vet put as "unknown" and I still got paid. Just paid the excess.

Provided your friend is as honest as possible based on the data she has from the rescue then it should be fine.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2007, 17:52:56 PM »
It would be a pre-existing even though not all cats become carriers of it.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 14:51:49 PM by Millys Mum »

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2007, 19:45:23 PM »
Sorry dont know answer to this one but I think I would have the cat vaccinated  and get it insured and tell a white lie   :shify: :shify:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Another insurance question...
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2007, 18:57:26 PM »
Sorry to hijack this thread but I have an insurance related question so thought i'd ask here...

A friend at work is going to see a rescue cat tomorrow, if they like each other 'no name' will have a name and a lovely new home but... the fosterer has told my friend that the cat (who is around 6 months old) has had a touch of cat flu.  They have said they will cover any vet bills if it re-occurs in the first few weeks but how does she stand with insurance?  If she declares the cat flu will they try and get out of paying for any condirion with the letter A, E, I, O or U in it? Anybody have any experience of insuring a cat who has had the flu?

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 18:49:42 PM »
Blip's a rescue cat and neither of two companies has ever turned down my money to insure her, Iain  ;) I'm sure your friend will be fine...
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 17:59:15 PM »
With marks and spencer you can do it all online so you dont have to speak to a questioning human. Also, if she isnt vax'd they will still insure but wont cover if she got ill by something a vaccine exists for, eg flu

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 21:14:50 PM »
I think Gill's got it covered there!  I think it's important to be honest with insurance companies (better than getting found out in a lie later on!) but if a cat doesn't have any obviouls illnesses and the rescue haven't mentioned any then I'd assume none!

Unless the cat is showing signs of needing a vet visit I'd also hold off going to the vet (even for a vet check) until the insurance is taken out and the 14 days (or whatever) before the policy can be claimed on are up.  That way if the vet finds anything the policy can be used and there won't be any pre-existing conditions.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 20:47:42 PM »
No should not be a problem at all, just make up the answers to the questions.

Whats her name................easy
How old....................if she is looking young then say 3yrs if older say 7yrs  LOL, many change rates at 8yrs old.

What sex......try and get it right but it wont matter of it wrong. you can tell em the right one later, say you were told wrong

Has it had any illnesses......noooooooooooooooooo, unless something serious is known

is it vaccinated.......be honest and if not get vaccinated quick and dont forget to tell em.

Type of cat ............moggie

Colours of cat ......be honest

How long you had her........honest

Where did you get her..........rescue

Cant think of any more but just be vagueish

Offline sonya

• Distinguished Cat
  • Ozzy Daisy and Ebony
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 20:42:45 PM »
Hi Iain and happy new year to you  :) my Ebony is a rescue cat and I had no problems with her insurance through m&s at all, they asked her age and when I explained that she was a rescue , they just asked for an approximate age and everything went ahead no problems.  Hope that helps.

Cats are like vodkas-you cant just have one

Offline IainMcT

• Adult Cat
Rescue cat insurance
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 20:35:14 PM »
Hello, a friend of mine has a rescue cat that is five or six years old. She doesn't have insurance as she thinks its difficult to get insurance for rescue cats. Is this true? If she calls to get quotes tomorrow but doesn't know the cats exact age and it has never had insurance before is it going to be a problem?
Many thanks,
Iain.
And happy new year!

Link to CatChat