Author Topic: Cats and Hairbrushes  (Read 2100 times)

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
Re: Cats and Hairbrushes
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2008, 20:44:40 PM »
think i've only groomed  cody a couple of times..bliss a cat that doesnt really need to be  :)  (he's so prestine theres never really a hair out of place)

Offline J (Indoorcatsuk)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2008, 20:31:57 PM »
I wouldn't say any of my lot are scared of hair brushes... but they certainly have a fettish for my make up brushes.. and run away with them and toothbrushes on a regular basis if I forget to hide them!!! 

The other day I was sat on the floor filling in a form, turned round to pick up the pen and saw my youngest had it in her teeth like a dog holds a stick and was carrying it upstairs for me.  :innocent:
A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere. Groucho Marx.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2008, 22:38:39 PM »
I wouldn't say Lexy is afraid of hairbrushes, but she is afraid of when I use mine to  brush out my hair when it's wet. I think maybe its the spray of water that might get to her so she dashes away as if the devil is after her. But it could be right next to her and she will ignore it.

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2008, 22:25:13 PM »
I wouldn't say any of my lot are scared of hair brushes... but they certainly have a fettish for my make up brushes.. and run away with them and toothbrushes on a regular basis if I forget to hide them!!! 
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2008, 22:43:36 PM »
My mother in law got Lirael a brush a few years ago, she only chews on it.

Little Girl who passed away last year loved brushes, even if I was brushing my hair she got excited and wanted to be brushed. All you had to do was hold the brush and she would rub against it.

Offline furballmom

• Senior Cat
  • Gimlee and Phoenix
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2008, 21:58:46 PM »
patch likes to bite my hair brush but the he is a little quirky anyway

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 17:13:19 PM »
Yes, it is.  I made friends with some Italians in Venice a llng time ago and I always take pressies over for their 2 children and send Christmas presents too.  As they know I love cats they always buy me something every year when I go see them - they wanted to get me a bigger one but thought about the weight alllowance!!

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline J (Indoorcatsuk)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 17:00:59 PM »
Yup, she loved it, I wouldn't try it now because she's old and frail but back in the day when she was feisty she loved it.

Is that a large painted stone in the picture Mary ? It's lovely.
A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere. Groucho Marx.

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 16:52:15 PM »
Glad to hear that J - With the vac turned on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??? Gosh  Reminds me of a picture I have in my door way - see attached.

Mary

[attachment deleted by admin]
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline J (Indoorcatsuk)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 16:47:19 PM »
Oh weird, I should have said human hairbrushes, I'd never thought of this before but they aren't scared of their own brushes ( which look less like an possible hedgehoggy sort of creature I suppose ), one of them used to even like being brushed with the dyson brush attachment ( yes when it was on ), but she is really odd around human hairbrushes.
I have to brush my lot because they are indoor cats and I vacuum up a kittens worth of hair everyday anyhow.

Me and My OH Mary, and no, the only violence they have experienced is watching The Professionals.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 16:47:56 PM by J (Indoorcatsuk) »

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 16:44:09 PM »
Maybe they think it's a prickly hedgehog  :rofl:

Are you their only slave - I hope they were never hit with a brush at any time.  Probably not, it'll be the bristles they aren't certain about.

Mary

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 16:41:32 PM »
All mine are mostly ok - Elvis is taking time but has got a lot better.   Sylveter took ages to get him use to being brushed.

It does take a lot of time a patience if a cat is scared of being brushed or just doesn't like it.

With Sylvester I did a little daily for  months.   I started off around the bits they quite like ie face, under chin, base of tail and would brush a little bit more daily - not too much.   I would also play with a toy in one hand and brush a little in the other also - thats what I have had to do more with Elvis.   It does take time and patience.   Elvis was quite wary of the brush at first bbut would just have it in my hand a lot of the time that I was playing with her or stroking her with my hand so she would be aware of the brush but because I didn't do anything with it after quite a few weeks of this her attention  on the brush went to zero.

Patience, patience, patience is the only way I'm afraid but it does get easier - Sylvester now adores being brushed, Elvis is 90% accepting of it.

Offline J (Indoorcatsuk)

• Distinguished Cat
Cats and Hairbrushes
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 16:36:13 PM »
Is it just my lot, but both my tortie girls ( one 2 years old, one 17 ) are transfixed and scared of hairbrushes and treat them as if they are some unknown creature, doing that tentative touchy paw thing with them, then moving away.
Is it just my lot or have any of you lot got cats with hairbrush ' phobias ' ?

Link to CatChat