Author Topic: Is PETA a bit OTT at times?  (Read 15550 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Is PETA a bit OTT at times?
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2008, 11:02:07 AM »
They certainly do MM, I have regular contact with a volunteer in an American shelter, and her tales are much sadder than ours - they struggle to home adults, and seniors pretty much have no chance (hence her having a large number of cats with issues, it was either take them home or pts). She is impressed that I could home a 13yo in 6 months.
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2008, 16:22:17 PM »
I dont think they are doing anything different to most of the shelters in the states. Sad fact that over there they have a much bigger problem than we do and less charities working their butts off.  :(

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2008, 20:03:37 PM »
That's an eye opener - who do you believe?

I had heard before that they are against companion animals - even seeing-eye dogs?  :Crazy:
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 20:04:23 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2008, 19:28:31 PM »
ahhhhhhh never good when you don't practice what you preach is it?

Offline J (Indoorcatsuk)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2008, 15:57:10 PM »
A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere. Groucho Marx.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2008, 00:04:44 AM »
I havent looked at any links on hear but think they are well over the top on many things.

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2008, 19:36:55 PM »
I would have said the same but the subject heading here peaked my interest so went for a look
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2008, 19:28:21 PM »
It is possible that this is the case, Horza, but I guess my point is that, once I was confronted with such ridiculous analogies, I, nor would any of my animal-loving friends, is likely to bother watching the videos. As I suggested in my first post, they make these ridiculous claims, which means that most of us don't bother lookiing any further, which rather defeats the point, don't you think ...?

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2008, 19:14:33 PM »
If you watch the videos and they are good (in well made, getting your point across good) then I don't think they are OTT, but PETA have been OTT in other areas

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2008, 18:33:32 PM »
... but comparing it to the KKK who terrorised and murdered innocent people is ridiculous.

I am with you there Mark - not quite in the same category I wouldn't have said ...

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2008, 18:31:12 PM »
I didn't even watch the videos - just  reading about them was enough. As much as I hate the idea of breeding animals and nobody can give me one convincing argument for it as long as their are animals in rescues, but comparing it to the KKK who terrorised and murdered innocent people is ridiculous.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 18:31:40 PM by Mark »

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008, 18:09:57 PM »
Did you forget the link?

http://origin.www.peta.org/feat/abc/video3.asp

very funny. Nothing OTT about it. It just adds a different angle to the whole pedigree thing, and one I'm on the side of on the whole.

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 17:59:52 PM »
The video's in question are too funny (however the subject) to be OTT

edit: except for the buy one :( not funny
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 18:01:06 PM by hOrZa »

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 17:56:37 PM »
My personal view is that while they draw attention to a number of animal cruelty issues, their manner of doing so alienates the majority of people, so yes, they are OTT. However having said that, and before anyone jumps down my throat, they have on occasion achieved good things, (like the goats). But getting a few goats released from a scientific programme which has already achieved its goals is not as effective as changing the approach of experimentation with animals and I am fairly sure that they have actually achieved that yet ... and I am unsure they will achieve it by acts of animal activisit terrorism.

I was once a member of a nature conservation group that was campaigning for a major cause in which I believed enormously. One of them got carried away and sent a letter referring to a bomb having been placed in an area where it would cause maximum damage. Not only did they loose 75% of their membership and support, they also lost the hearts of the public they were trying to encourage to protect this special place. Extremism is never an effective tool for swaying public opinion in any direction other than against your cause ...

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 17:36:30 PM »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 17:26:37 PM »
I read it somewhere yesterday but not sure who it was. I agree with a lot of their stuff but I think they go the wrong way about gaining support at times.

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 17:23:12 PM »
Of course they are!

How else are they going to get headlines/airtime etc???? Fair do's I reckon.

Mind you, there's always an underlying truth to what they say.

Wasn't it them lot commenting on the Navy and the goats yesterday?

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Is PETA a bit OTT at times?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 16:44:40 PM »
I personally don't believe there are any good reasons to breed but I think PETA are being a bit silly.

Dear Mark,

Watch this edgy new spot for PETA's Animal Birth Control (ABC) Campaign, which makes an interesting comparison between the American Kennel Club and the KKK. "Wrong Meeting?" is the latest and most controversial video in the infamous series of ads created by PETA to encourage responsible animal guardians to spay and neuter their animals and to explain why animal breeders and the American Kennel Club might just be the worst thing that ever happened to cats and dogs in this country.

They're devoted to keeping pure bloodlines, labeling "mixed breeds" as inferior, and creating a dominant "master race" that meets their prejudiced ideas of "perfection." The only things that the American Kennel Club is missing are the pointy white hats. Watch "Wrong Meeting?" now to find out moreā€”and be sure to share it with your friends!

Take care,

Kelsey Gibb, Activist Liaison
International Grassroots Campaigns
People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals
757-622-7382, ext. 8761
KelseyG@peta.org

Link to CatChat