Author Topic: cats and wallpaper  (Read 2089 times)

Offline Catjane

• Distinguished Cat
Re: cats and wallpaper
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2008, 09:33:04 AM »
I have to say I'm quite lucky, cpl Smokey's only naughty scratching is the wicker washing basket, phew!

I bought one of these for the cats Lol! They all  :Luv: it!  :innocent:

Haha - mine love my wicker laundry basket too!  Meesha knocks it over so that she can get inside and curl up among my unmentionables!

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2008, 19:33:48 PM »
I have to say I'm quite lucky, cpl Smokey's only naughty scratching is the wicker washing basket, phew!

I bought one of these for the cats Lol! They all  :Luv: it!  :innocent:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2008, 18:34:26 PM »
Yes, I do have to agree Ruth, the wallpaper in the cat room was worse near the tray!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2008, 17:27:04 PM »
I was chatting to my mum about this yesterday. I'm sure I heard somewhere it was to do with something in wallpaper paste but hers go mad for blown vinyl.

Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2008, 16:59:09 PM »
I have noticed that some cats start their wall paper habit via the litter tray being positioned near it.....much better to start em off by putting the litter trays next to painted walls!  ;)

Once they are in the habit though....your doomed!  :scared:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2008, 10:11:44 AM »
I only have scratched paper in teh cat room, so I just decided not to do the walls in there - it hasn't been touched in ages though, so is only certain cats.
Please spay your cat

Dark Moon

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 09:22:29 AM »
It is so good to know........  but, you know, I lived in this house for almost 15 years and no one ever touched the paper. Maybe it's the other way around - they hated the old stuff so wouldn't touch it. Like the new so... O.K., even I know I'm reaching.....

Offline Catjane

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 09:08:29 AM »
Yup my lot do it too!  I've given up trying to stop them, as it usually happens in the middle of the night!  They don't seem to bother with wallpaper with paint over the top though?  (It wasn't me!  I live in a rented property!)

MBll

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 01:02:45 AM »
Oh yeah...........cats & wallpaper ........they just dont go together lol   Its only been a few months since i papered the livingroom & they have clawed/stripped it in a few places also in the kitchen.   So Im goini to have to do what i did for the other rooms just get rid of the paper & emulsion all the walls.

ccmacey

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 00:50:28 AM »
It seems not to matter what the pattern is...

Maybe they dont like your decor?  :rofl:

It's not the pattern is, it's the feel. My cats go for textured wallpaper, they have managed to find and partialy destroy most of it. I had to toung & grove the bottom half of my kitchen as the were just trashing the paper around the tray. I think it's just a cat thing.

Dark Moon

cats and wallpaper
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 00:35:00 AM »
Hi all!

Sorry I haven't been around this past week but I have been thinking of you. More of that elsewhere.

Just curious... do any of you have experience with cats attacking wallpaper? This has been on-going in my home for years. I thought maybe I just had one who perhaps 'saw' something on it or heard something behind it and so attacked... but now several are (my kitchen wallpaper is shredded; the downstairs hall has a good start on it; the upstairs hall border....   I know that once there is a tear or a flap - well, that's understandable. It's rather like needing to see what's at the bottom of the kleenex box (do yours empty them too?). But a friend of mine just moved into a lovely little home and the first thing his two cats did was to scratch the wallpaper. It seems not to matter what the pattern is...

Just wondering.  (Wish they had 'helped' when I was stripping the original wallpaper!)

Link to CatChat