Author Topic: Wood based litter  (Read 4402 times)

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
Re: Wood based litter
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2008, 23:15:04 PM »
No ones motioned chick crumb its like worlds best, clumps great and only cost £7.50 for  a 20kg bag
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2008, 22:46:25 PM »
Zooplus do similar called golden grey and its £8.99 for 14kg   ;)

I was just about to post then but MM beat me to it!  I use the golden grey from zooplus and it's cheaper than any of the clumping litter I used to buy from the supermarket and works as well.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2008, 22:09:09 PM »
I used to get a clumping cat litter from Co-op, called Tidy CAt - was very good value, but I found when i had 'large' cats like Tom, they did such big wees, it wasn't worth me taking out the clumps, cos it was most of the tray!! It is similar to gravel litter, but darker.
Please spay your cat

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
  • Alfie, Frankie & Leigh, my boys & me
    • http://www.alfie-cat.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2008, 16:36:21 PM »
Hi tab,

I also use the wood based litter as that's what the rescue centre lady brought me when I adopted Alfie and they also used it at the rescue where I got Frankie from so I've stuck with it. I've never had any proiblems with bug but I do find that it quickly turns to sawdust which gets trodden through by Frankie as he digs forever in the litter tray. The good thing about it for me is that I can get a smallish bag cheaply from Wilkinsons as I don't have any transport that's a boon but they also do bigger bags if one wishes. It last well and doesn't get very smelly and with 3 cats and two large litter trays a bag last me a week with me removing solid stuff twice a day. As I mentioned the only minus point is the sawdust but my new cleaner gets that up pretty well.

Cheers

Leigh
Alfie and Frankie's dad - "Letterbox" are Rockin' the Feline World

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2008, 16:13:38 PM »
Thank you for those I'll have a look for them. The only clumping litter Id seen was cat san
love
Tab

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2008, 15:55:54 PM »
Im really short of money at the moment and cant really afford the clumping catsan that I used so I went on to Tesco's normal but it makes me cough and Im not convinced the cats like it.

Have you tried Sainsbury's Ultra Clumping? I think thats better than Catsan clumping and its cheaper, well a bit anyway - £3.99 for 5 lt - still not cheap, but the clumps hold together better than Catsan.

Zooplus do similar called golden grey and its £8.99 for 14kg   ;)

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2008, 21:25:58 PM »
I found the wood based stuff to be great and always smelt good - and never any beetles. But when my man was getting older I had read they sometimes don't like the feeling under their feet and he had started going out the tray so I changed to cat san. I would agree the Sainsbury's one is great - don't have one near me but they were really good.

Turned out the issue was a covered litter tray with my man and took it off and he never went outside the tray again - but I stuck with cat san after that!
Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2008, 21:18:49 PM »
Im really short of money at the moment and cant really afford the clumping catsan that I used so I went on to Tesco's normal but it makes me cough and Im not convinced the cats like it.

Have you tried Sainsbury's Ultra Clumping? I think thats better than Catsan clumping and its cheaper, well a bit anyway - £3.99 for 5 lt - still not cheap, but the clumps hold together better than Catsan.

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2008, 10:55:39 AM »
Thank you all. I shall give it a go again. The cats used it fine when I had it and use it at the cattery but the beetles put me off  :sick: Living in a high rise I dont get beetles, spiders or creepy crawleys apart from the odd silver fish and flys but Amber eats those. Im really short of money at the moment and cant really afford the clumping catsan that I used so I went on to Tesco's normal but it makes me cough and Im not convinced the cats like it. Put it this way Mogs goes in the covered tray, turns rounds and gets 3/4's of her body out again and then wee's standing up so its all up the side and really not nice when you take the lid off  :sick:
Thanks again
love
Tab

Offline rosiesmum

• Senior Cat
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2008, 08:27:16 AM »
I use the tesco premium wood pelllet cat litter. Never had a problem with it at all.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2008, 01:06:36 AM »
The wood litter bags  and maybe others too ahve small holes in them................to allow the bags to be stacked on pallets one of the big companies told me ..............so maybe the beetles got in from where it was being stored.

I always use wood pellets and the birmans arrived with some disgusting clumping stuff and didnt mind a bit when I used the wood pellets.

I use Smart Cat which I find so much better than other makes but it is probably more expensive and I have to get it from a pet shop. I also find it lasts longer than the cheeper ones and smells better  ;D

I have one litter tray that is used all the time and another two that only get used very occasionally and a 30kg sack is lasting at least 6 weeks.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2008, 21:50:00 PM »
Never had any probs with it, but I have only been able to use it since Ginger died, as he wouldn't use it, would rather use my carpet!! The rescue lady stores hers in a garage and has no issues.
Please spay your cat

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2008, 21:16:12 PM »
We use "purrrfect" natural clay and baking soda litter from costco - it comes in huge plastic carry-cans. We tried wood based, but our two just wouldn't have it. They'd hold everything in all day, then only go when they really had no choice, and even then they would fuss around and look deeply miserable and uncomfortable about the whole thing :-[ :evillaugh: Since they're indoor cats, the poor darlings only have their trays, so we had to go back to clay. :tired:

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2008, 20:45:21 PM »
Have been using the wood stuff for over 10 years now  :wow: and would not go back to the heavy clumping stuff
I used to buy (fullers earth ??) still gets scattered about now and then, but that depends on how urgent the cover
up is  :sick:
I store mine in the immersion heater cupboard- no chance of damp in there, and I've just bought a dyson animal
handheld hoover, no more brush and pan :evillaugh:

nah tis good stuff, economical, envoiromentaly friendly etc,etc
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2008, 19:27:06 PM »
No problems here either - thumbs up from the bengals  ;D  Like Ruth I buy the 30L bags from pets at home - doesnt last me 4 or 5 weeks though  :rofl:

If it did I'd be napping the boys from you for neglect :naughty:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2008, 19:21:07 PM »
I tried it when i just had the girls and ^George^ and they hated it, the facial expressions were terrible so i took it away.
I have had to change the kitchens worlds best tray as Lola was eating it so it now has a clumping wood litter which they are bit more pleased with. Its got Oko in the name i think  :-: :-: its more like large fullers earth pieces than pellets.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2008, 17:52:17 PM »
i use it now too with no probs but there was someone on CC before it closed who had beetles in her WBCL so it can happen in any type, coz its all stored en mass in warehouses for bagging you see and some can get in that way.

(I have weavels in broth mix once..that was abit  :sick:  )

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008, 17:46:53 PM »
I use it all the time and I've not had any Beetles (or Rolling Stones, sorry couldn't resist that one, showing my age or wot!!)  Only thing I found was it seems to be easire for Bonnie to dig down to Australia and it's all oveer the floor and then gets crushed and is like sawdust in a circus ring BUT Bonnie now has a large covered litter tray and I don't have any extra cleaning up to do.  :rofl:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline le chat noir

• Senior Cat
  • Whiskers now at the bridge & Phoebe currently AWOL
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 17:34:06 PM »
It's a thumbs up from our house as well.  Spookie does not always cover up her number twos and always lets us know when she's finished  :rofl:

Offline Linda (Bengalbabe)

• Hero Cat
  • Gayzette Minerva
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 17:25:03 PM »
No problems here either - thumbs up from the bengals  ;D  Like Ruth I buy the 30L bags from pets at home - doesnt last me 4 or 5 weeks though  :rofl:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 17:23:28 PM »
I use it too - and no beetles - perhaps you house is infested with death watch beetles and is poised to fall on you head!!  :scared:

It is fairly large and a bit wobbly underfoot but mine don't seem to have any issues with it at all.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 17:03:44 PM »
I tried wood based for a while (no trouble with beetles) but Foxy refuses to go in the try with wood based ... I don't think she likes the feel of it swelling up under her bum  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: So we've gone back to good old fullers earth type.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 17:01:17 PM »
Thanks Ruth. I would be storing it in my flat so not damp or anything its just the stuff I was given was stored in a garage so I didnt know if the beetles had moved in then lol
love
Tab

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 16:45:54 PM »
I used this exclusively for Lexy. No problems with beetles at all.  If you're storing somewhere where it could get damp then possibly so, but if not then I'm not sure its the litter. I buy the large bags now from PAH, 30Ls and one lasts me a good 4-5 weeks. I do have a large bin I use for it though, you may want to try that?  Just get a large sealable plastic box/bin if you're unsure Tab?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 19:25:47 PM by Kittybabe (Ruth) »

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
Wood based litter
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 16:40:38 PM »
Does anyone use wood based litter and do you have any problems?

Im asking because I was given some a year or so ago and I found I had beetles in the flat. Never seen before or since and I assume they came out of the litter. Now I would love to know if this is normal as the stuff I was given had been stored in an open bag in a garage. Apart from the beetles both me and the cats liked it and the stuff Ive changed to is really dusty so Im thinking of changing back to wood based.

Thanks for any help
love
Tab

Link to CatChat