Author Topic: Hello ...  (Read 3819 times)

Offline PennyLineker

• Adult Cat
  • Penny & Lineker
Re: Hello ...
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2008, 21:39:03 PM »
I am ever hopeful.  Whatever the outcome Penny will be well cared for, she's my little baby.  Thanks for all your good wishes and advice, I wish I'd found this website a long time ago!
Natalie (aka PennyLineker)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2008, 21:32:35 PM »
Ah right, that explains it then.

Aww, the poor babe. I do hope for positive results, you can't change what you did, you did it for her own good and on the vets recommendation, and that is all we can do for them.
Please spay your cat

Offline PennyLineker

• Adult Cat
  • Penny & Lineker
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2008, 21:30:12 PM »
They did a blood test and urine test in the vets which showed her blood was 10 and her urine had glucose in it too.  The test they are doing now which had to go away is a fructosamine test which shows her glucose levels over 2 to 3 weeks and its this one that is taking the time.

I had tried homeopathic things on Pennys skin, even rubbing extra virgin olive oil in to it (my mum had a friend that suffered and he swore by it) but nothing helped her at all and she used to tear herself to bits, even to the point where she had no whiskers on her face as she has rubbed them all out.  The thing is, once she started having the steriod injections, because i thought she was fine and they were doing her no harm, i did not look into alternatives, if i had known that this as a side effect, i would definately have continued looking for an alternative.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2008, 21:23:53 PM »
Oh dear, doesn't sound like you had much options really. how come they are taking so long to come back? I had annual bloods done on my cat last Thurs evening, and got the results on Mon, and last year I got them back on the Sat - they are sent to the lab, but my vets can do certain tests in house, and I would have thought for diabetes, they would need to know asap.
Please spay your cat

Offline PennyLineker

• Adult Cat
  • Penny & Lineker
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2008, 21:21:45 PM »
He said it was not ideal, but there was another treatment but that caused cancer long term, so this was the lesser of the two evils, but saying that, i never ever knew it could cause diabetes otherwise I would not have gone along with them.  I really thought I was doing the best I could for her.  We should get her results tomorrow.  The blood was sent away on Tuesday.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2008, 21:16:51 PM »
What an odd thing to be told about steroids. Good luck for teh test results, when are you expecting them back?
Please spay your cat

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2008, 21:15:31 PM »
 :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: Gorgeous furbabes.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline PennyLineker

• Adult Cat
  • Penny & Lineker
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2008, 21:09:39 PM »
Funnily enough, no I was never told this.  I was told that in cats steriods were fine, in a dog, she would have died by now, but in cats they did not have the same side effects.  I have only just found this out through research into diabetes.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2008, 21:05:38 PM »
WElcome to Purrs, you have lovely babes. Good luck with Penny, I am assuming your vet has said that steroids over a long period can cause diabetes?
Please spay your cat

Offline PennyLineker

• Adult Cat
  • Penny & Lineker
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2008, 21:01:12 PM »
I had Lineker and his brother Shilton (1990 world cup!) but sadly Shilton was only 18 months old when he was knocked down by a car and killed.  Sadly the person that did knock him down did not know a lot about cats and that most of the time they dont have injuries as such, just shock, and I think that if they had comforted him and talked soothingly he might have survived, but instead they just watched him, and watched him die.  That was a very very sad day and Lineker pined so much that we got Penny 3 months later.  Initially Lineker was not that impressed with her, but now, 14 years later, they are inseparable.

I have had another cat since then too, Louis 7 years ago.  He adopted me, but again i knew he was not going to live long as he was so dopey.  I used to look out the window and would see him stretched out in the sun in the middle of the road.  He was so nosey too, on one occassion my next door neighbour loaded up his car with rubbish and got halfway to the dump only to look in his rear view mirror to see Louis sitting there enjoying the ride.  He cursed Louis no doubt, turned round and drove him home.  He was killed outside our house 4 weeks before we moved house - a hit and run.  He was just left in the road.  Where we live now we back on to fields and a park and he would have loved it.

Saying that, for all the heart ache and suffering when i lost Shilton and Louis, i would not have changed it for the world.  In the short time i had them they gave me so much pleasure and happiness.

Lineker is getting old now, he is nearly 18 and in the last year he has slowed down so much.  He no longer can climb a fence (which actually I am overjoyed about, as he cannot leave the safety of the garden any more) but he is such a loving little fella.  When he is not duffing up his father he is curled up sound asleep, or laying in a bit of sun in the garden.

Penny, she turned 14 in December suffers from Eczema and has steriod injections on a monthly basis which keeps her skin lovely, but sadly the vet is now testing her for diabetes.  They have done some blood tests and we are waiting for the results.  I have everything crossed that her increased glucose was down to stress and her vet visit, as she does not seem to have any other symptons at all.

Sorry, i think i have waffled on a bit.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2008, 20:43:38 PM »
The cat is Smidgen (8 or nine months old) and the dog is Shadow (6 years old). Shadow is an Australian dog who came here via New Zealand with me. Smidgen is a Cheshire cat, aby cross, who I have acquired since moving into my home ... Personally I think they are both wonderful  :Luv: so it's nice to see their qualities are appreciated ... ;D

Offline PennyLineker

• Adult Cat
  • Penny & Lineker
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2008, 20:39:33 PM »
Thanks, I worship the ground they walk on.  I love your photo with your cat looking lovingly into the dogs eyes, what are their names?

Offline PennyLineker

• Adult Cat
  • Penny & Lineker
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2008, 20:37:10 PM »
OMG it worked, thanks very much.  Below are my babies,  Penny and Lineker.  Penny is always hiding in a bed or under my dressing gown. Lineker likes to sit on the back of the settee while hubby is watching telly and try to pull off his glasses while meowing loudly!

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2008, 20:36:10 PM »
I'm very impressed with your IT skills! It took me at least 10 hours to figure that out!! Oh, and your cats are gorgeous!!  :Luv:

Offline PennyLineker

• Adult Cat
  • Penny & Lineker
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2008, 20:34:59 PM »
Well here goes ......

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2008, 19:43:44 PM »
Hi and  :welcome: to Purrs:

thought this might help you:

If you need help resizing your pics the following may help:

http://www.download.com/JPEGCompress/3000-2204_4-10404412.html?tag=lst-0-1

or

Image Resizer for windows XP

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx
It's the 10th or 11th on the right hand side .. Image resize.
Once installed right click on the photo you want to resize.
Select resize pictures
Select advanced
Select custom
Put in 400 by 300 (sometimes you have to put in smaller figures if it is still too big).
Click ok and it makes a custom photo ready for uploading

You can resize more than one picture at a time by highlighting them all and following the resizing steps above.

The other way is to upload pictures onto www.photobucket.com   then just copy the ing code under the pic and paste it into the text box of your thread.  If you use this method you don't need to resize the pics   ;)
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2008, 19:41:38 PM »
You can either resize them and attach the using the normal system or you can load them into photobucket. Go to photobucket.com and set up an account then you can load whatever pix or videos you want. Once that is done, you just click on the bottom of the options which will copy the link and go control v to paste the link into your post. Leave a line space before you do it ....

See:

Offline PennyLineker

• Adult Cat
  • Penny & Lineker
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2008, 19:34:07 PM »
I tried to attach a couple of photos, but they were too large.  How do i do it.  Sorry, I'm not very good on the pc!

Thanks

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 19:17:15 PM »
HI and  :welcome: to Purrs, you will find all sorts of useful help and moral support here, so welcome and enjoy (BTW no-one has mentioned this yet but Pix of your babes are absolutely essential  ;D we want to admire them  :Luv:

Offline PennyLineker

• Adult Cat
  • Penny & Lineker
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008, 09:38:28 AM »
Thank you so very much for all your replies.  I have been on to Sugarnet, its a great site and really informative.

I have also sent off for the list of cats with diabetes in my area from the CPS.

Liz, I will be in touch with you.  We should hear back from the vet today with the results of the Fructo test which will determine whether Penny is treated by diet or via injection.  If its ok, I will email you when I know for definate what I have to do for some advice.

Thanks very much again.

Natalie   :thanks:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 17:13:43 PM »
This is from our links section and should give you loads of advice  ;D

http://www.sugarpet.net/

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 17:12:17 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs  ;D

I dont know if this will be of any use and info was taken from Cat Chat

DIABETIC CATS ~ Cats Protection keep a register of people with experience of diabetic cats, who are willing to offer support and advice (non-veterinary) to others with a diabetic cat. If you want a copy of the register, send an A5 stamped addressed envelope (stamped to the value of 50p) to:
Marilyn Digby-Brown, Diabetic Cat Register, Cats Protection, National Cat Centre, Chelwood Gate, Haywards Heath, Sussex, RH17 7TT

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 16:17:06 PM »
Penny hello and welcome to the madhouse, we have a diabetic cat diagnosed last October 2007

He is our alpha male and a former feral, he is aged 11 and since diagnosis has put on nearly a kilo of his missing weight, he is injected twice a day and is on Canininsulin - we keep it in the door of the fridge and so far so good he is going back in february for his next test and is nearly back to normal

The injection part seems the worst thing really but after the couple of initial shots both Robin and I manage to inject the boy, we do it at 7am and 7pm and he gets an extra treat meal usually a sachet of wet food or cheese

He is back to being indoor outdoor to after I discovered Robin had been letting him out at the weekend when I was a work, he is much happier to

Please pm me if you want to talk off line about this as there is a lot to know you also need to get stuff for the highs and lows that you will have till the insulin amount is balanced and this can take a wee bit of time

Tiger sends his purrs and hopes you will cope - the cat hasn't changed is the way we like to see it he just gets meds daily, add in the dog who is on tablets, feral oldie on antibiotics, phhscpathic border collie pup aged 7 months and the other 37 cats who share our lives you can now see why 7am is good for us and Tiger - we have done their breakfast 38 saucers and walked the dogs and can then let out the inddor/outdoor mob, ground the house cats, top up food, clean 18 grit boxes and then think about breakfast for us!!!
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 14:34:41 PM »
Hi and welcome, there are a few people with diabetic cats, I think Liz has recently had one of her clan diagnosed, not sure if you've tried to do a search to see what comes up.  Everyone here is very good and will help you in any way they can - they will also ask for photos so get ready!!!

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 14:34:09 PM »
Hi Penny, welcome to Purrs. Sorry you found us under such circumstances but there'll be plenty of advice and support for you on here.

I am fortunate enough to have never had a cat with diabetes but I know people who have and they manage very well. Good luck keeping Penny well  :hug:
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Offline PennyLineker

• Adult Cat
  • Penny & Lineker
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 14:28:14 PM »
Oh hello everyone.

A bit about me and my feline family - my real name is Natalie and my cats are Penny and Lineker.  Lineker is a ginger and white BSH and he will be 18 in May, Penny is a black and white DSH and turned 14 at the beginning of December.

I found your site and have been looking for advice, as the vet thinks Penny has diabetes.  We are waiting for the results of a Fructosamine Test but the vet is 99% sure she had diabetes as her glucose level is 10.  Hubby and I had to have a couple of lessons last night at the vets practising injecting her (fingers crossed it does not come to that).   Anyway I have been trawling the internet today trying to find out as much as I can on it and also to see if anyone can offer any advice.

Thanks for listening.

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 13:49:59 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs Penny.  We are all a bit cat mad on here, but very friendly.
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Online Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 13:41:49 PM »
Hi Penny

:welcome:  to Purrs - great to have you on board

Looking forward to hearing a bit about you and your family

:Hello:
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline PennyLineker

• Adult Cat
  • Penny & Lineker