Author Topic: Ringworm  (Read 1591 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Ringworm
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2008, 17:29:44 PM »
Fingers crossed they have run out of spores :luck:

Offline sixfurballs

• Senior Cat
  • Bronte, Dino, Huxley & Heidi
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2008, 12:22:02 PM »
Thought it was about time I updated on this. Hunter and Harley had a pretty rough time with the ringworm. It spread very rapidly and they lost most of their whiskers and eyebrows. However, all visible signs of it have finally cleared up and fur  is growing back although in some patches a little discoloured. They have another check up with the vet tomorrow under the UV lamp and fingers crossed it will be all clear. Thanks for all the advice.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 14:39:40 PM »
The bathing should really help once they have had a few, it is a slow progress tho!
Your friend should wear gloves when handling the griseofulvin  ;D

Lynn, canestan is clotrimazole  ;D

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 08:47:44 AM »
No advice but good wishes to your friend and all her sick animals

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008, 23:04:08 PM »
The Griseofulvin should wipe it out, i had to give 1 month of treatment to my cat though.  Also you can treat the lesions directly with canestan cream of even topical iodene tincture.

Offline sixfurballs

• Senior Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 21:04:55 PM »
She is disinfecting and bleaching everything in sight and unfortunately she caught it as well. My friend also has a hamster, 2 guinea pigs and 2 chihuahuas and all but one of her dogs is sick at the moment so she is having a rough time and just wondering if there was anything else she could be doing to help the kittens (Hunter and Harley) along with their recovery.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 21:00:35 PM »
Sounds like plenty is being wiped, squirted and washed then!
Its also important to keep the environment clean, use a disinfectant that kills the spores and regularly soak and wash any bedding they have.

Offline sixfurballs

• Senior Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 20:51:29 PM »
Edited this to give you my friend's words instead:

In a nut shell this is what has been done for the kittens the last two weeks:

1. Griseofulvin oral medicine 2 mls twice a day (very expensive)

2. Nolvasan Solution for pre-cleaning skin prior to ointment application twice a day

3. Clotrimazole 1% Cream applied to skin/sores twice a day

4. KetoChlor Dermatology medicated shampoo for fungal skin conditions and bacterial dermatitis responsive to ketoconzaole and chlorhexidine. Three times per week for the next 2 to 4 weeks.

The Ringworm fungus was still found on the kitten's skin after two weeks of treatments of 1,2, & 3. The shampoo is by prescription only and the kitten's first bathing application begins today. Dr. Gill will then re-check the kittens after two more weeks to determine if shampooing can be reduced to once per week thereafter.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 21:31:42 PM by fourfurballs »

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 20:47:29 PM »
What treatment are they having?
FAB say an oral and topical attack is best. A bath with what UK vets call Malaseb would help alot  ;D

Offline sixfurballs

• Senior Cat
Ringworm
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 20:01:00 PM »
So, my friend in San Diego that had the feral cat and then adopted 2 kittens, has found out that the kittens have ringworm. They have already been through 2 weeks of treatment and whilst they have no sores or scabs under the ultraviolet can see they still have loads of the fungus. Has anyone been through this and/or can suggest any good treatments?

:thanks:

Link to CatChat