Author Topic: Cat Fences  (Read 1528 times)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
Re: Cat Fences
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 22:48:02 PM »
Yes, a cat run is another option, you can buy ready made mesh and timber panels that you can build into any shape you like to fit in the garden. This is mine at my previous house - I had it made so that it incorporated much of the garden and so it was still a nice area for humans to be in too! :

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 20:29:35 PM »
Roz will certainly advise if you ask her and I am sure I have read that occasionally cats have managed to get in with some systems but then cant get out so have to be released but usually they do not come back.

I would think if your garden is enclosed to a decent height it would no be likely that a fox would get in cos they dont climb trees.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 20:27:58 PM »
another option is to have a cat run, rather than enclosing the entire garden. I had a great one in one of my homes in Oz, which, from above, looked something like this. what you are looking at is the side of the tallest section (which was around the trunk of the tree on the far left) and the top of the ground-level run which linked through the fence into the grassed area of the garden so they could keep the dog company. The square thing on top is another run which went off in another direction to a couple of other towers and tunnels at ground level This pic was taken immediately after installation when it was all a bit bare but the plants grew up around it so you could hardly notice it was there ...

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
  • Miss Jasmine <3 (R.I.P Special girl)
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 20:24:59 PM »
I would absolutely love my garden to be catproofed but it's not possible. Although there's a big regeneration scheme going on around here and we're meant to be getting new fences. I'm not sure what they'll be like yet though.

Good luck with it, Barney.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 20:20:55 PM »
If you contact purrs member Roz she can advise you about catproofing your garden, if its done properly other animals would struggle to gain entry   ;D

Iv heard of the rolling poles trapping feet.

Offline barney

• Adult Cat
Cat Fences
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 01:12:44 AM »
Ok I have now decided to have my whole garden enclosed, so that none of my cats can gain access to either the front of house or into neighbouring gardens. Although this will certainly cheese of 'Bigear’s' as she has always been a wanderer. But I need piece of mind as to where they are and what they are up to. To be honest I have concerns about doing this as far as other animals are concerned, i.e. other cats leaping into my garden from trees in neighbours gardens and then becoming trapped in my garden, this also applies to the local foxes. I am also worried that if I was to use netting type enclosure an animal may get caught up in it. I have also seen other products one was spikes which I really dislike due to the nastiness of it and the other was revolving poles which basically just turn when the cat touches it. Has anyone ever had issues with cat fencing as far as other animals are concerned?

Link to CatChat