Author Topic: No wonder people dont get their cats done !!  (Read 4720 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: No wonder people dont get their cats done !!
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2008, 18:10:49 PM »
Im sure Ela can shed light on the rules!

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2008, 18:04:11 PM »
It was mentioned that this cat was a stray. As far as I'm aware this means the cat qualifies for the yellow voucher and the full cost of spaying. My ferals were done on the yellow voucher, and they are a kind of stray. I think this still applies if you intend to keep a the rescued cat.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

ccmacey

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2008, 16:32:29 PM »
Yes I agree Michelle, I hate people that see things as they are not how things are. After all this woman is going through a devoice and it is a pretty messy thing, at least she is getting the cat sorted.

I dont know how anyone can be so judgemental after reading a few words  :censored:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2008, 21:52:02 PM »
and they do not always find themselves on them at a time when their finances are set up to deal with a significant reduction in income. Long term beneficiaries do not have the sort of debt that people are inclined to accumulate when they are on a good income that suddenly disappears ...

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2008, 21:33:18 PM »
on benefits at the moment.
So am I ....but I managed to scrape enough to get my cats done & also forked out over £100 for 1 of my rats even though I could get pdsa help.....no sympathy here ...being on benefits is NO excuse if someone is whining about vet bills then they should not have any  pets.
Sorry RR but you shouldnt judge a situation that you know nothing about

Tend to agree, Michelle. People on benefits are on them for varying reasons.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2008, 17:47:06 PM »
Its okay - I thought the same thing at first - mobile unit sounds a bit like a conveyor belt  :evillaugh:

Ours just park up once a week outside a community centre and they have a mobile trailor thing that will be there all day - so they have time to recover, i'd imagine RSPCA is pretty much the same  :)
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2008, 17:39:26 PM »
Gerti was spayed at a CP mobile unit... the CP lady who runs that round here is lovely  ;D

We took Gerti in early and collected her from there in the early evening and it was fine.

Cheers Dawn.
I had never heard of them before so was abit worried xxx

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2008, 17:38:28 PM »

So Im i ....but I managed to scrap enough to get my cats done & also forked out over £100 for 1 of my rats even thou i could get pdsa help.....no sympathy here ...being on benifits is NO excuse if someone is whinning about vet bills then they should not have any  pets.

Sorry RR but you shouldnt judge a situation that you know nothing about

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2008, 17:38:04 PM »
Gerti was spayed at a CP mobile unit... the CP lady who runs that round here is lovely  ;D

We took Gerti in early and collected her from there in the early evening and it was fine.
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

MBll

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2008, 17:02:13 PM »

So Im i ....but I managed to scrap enough to get my cats done & also forked out over £100 for 1 of my rats even thou i could get pdsa help.....no sympathy here ...being on benifits is NO excuse if someone is whinning about vet bills then they should not have any  pets.

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2008, 15:00:41 PM »
The lady from CP wouldnt give a yellow voucher -
She has said that RSPCA are doing a MOBILE SPAY CLINIC on 21st Jan....Got to be honest i really dont like the sound of that, sounds like a convabelt BUT beggers cant be choosers !!

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2008, 18:50:21 PM »
That is unbelievable - my vets charge £43. It is something people need to consider though, especially when taking on animals from 'free to good homes' rather than rescues - we cover the cost of neutering as long as they take their adoption paper to our vet.
Please spay your cat

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2008, 17:29:26 PM »
Memphis' neuter is going to be free. I was given him for free from the shelter and he came with 1st vaccination, worming, frontline, microchipping  all free with a free neutering voucher for when he is old enough.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2008, 17:25:25 PM »
ah you see, you should live in the slums like me!! ;D ;)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2008, 17:19:12 PM »
Cheers everyone.

I have spoken to a lady from CP who has given me another number to ring for a lady that actually "gives the vouchers". The lady i spoke to said *off record* to try and "sweet talk" them into paying more towards the spay !!

My friend lives in Sevenoaks Kent - I asked the CP women if £73 was a normal price and she said YES

I will mention the Yellow Voucher  ;)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2008, 16:29:55 PM »
*whispers: Call the CPL again and specifically request a yellow voucher. *

;)

:evillaugh: good point!

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2008, 16:25:27 PM »
and people don;t get there cats done 'cos they are either stupid or can't be arsed - or more likely both!!! >:( >:(

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2008, 16:23:56 PM »
my vet will only do in between. In Coventry it costs from as little as £24 (pet vacinnation) to about £50. Go outside the city and it costs up to £70 (rugby, Leamngton - no competition).

Deffo have to shop around and if your friend is close to a city may be worth the extra hassle to save a bit.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2008, 16:20:39 PM »
*whispers: Call the CPL again and specifically request a yellow voucher. *

;)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 16:20:55 PM by JackSpratt »

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2008, 16:12:43 PM »
I usually wait until they have finished their season, the operation is riskier because of the blood vessels and even if they get "caught",  they can be done afterwards.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008, 16:08:58 PM »
It costs more to spay a cat when it is on heat - something to do with more blood vessels or something.

that and the ovaries are more friable - they don't cling together as well as when off season, so it is a more finicky process to remove them. Leave some in and you have a cat who, while unable to have kittens, will still have seasons (like people who have a partial hysterectomy)

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 16:06:26 PM »
It costs more to spay a cat when it is on heat - something to do with more blood vessels or something.
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 16:04:55 PM »
I have copied this from a post by Abby on the hovel ... it was posted on 5 Dec 2007:

Cats Protection have a phone line you can ring if you are on a low income or benefits and need to have your cat neutered/spayed.

The vouchers usually cover the whole cost, in some cases you may need to add a small amount.

The number is 08702 099 099

Please, please, Neuter and Spay your cats, not only to stop the huge numbers of unwanted, abandoned and abused kittens, but also for their own long term health. A neutered/spayed cat is at considerably less risk of getting cancer, being involved in fights, inappropriate behaviour (calling, spraying) etc.

Kittens should be neutered at 6 months, earlier if they are fast developers, check with your vet. It is not a kindness to your cat to let her have a litter before you have her spayed, a single litter can reduce her life expectancy by up to 4 years, and significantly increase her chances of cancer.

For more information and advice on spaying, please post your questions in the health and behaviour forum below.

Thank you for taking out time to read this.

PS: Thanks to Saffron for digging out the phone number.

http://thehovel.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=8660
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 15:54:25 PM »
Its only £42 at my vets and i thought Essex was supposed to be more expensive  :Crazy: :Crazy:

CP can issue a yellow voucher for the full amount but conveniently they dont mention this on their websites! They also claim you have to be on benefits to qualify but you dont anymore, a low income is a good enough reason.

Offline lucy

• Hero Cat
  • Xanthe
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 15:28:47 PM »
Xanthe just cost 85 quid for spay and microchip, which I was happy  enough with as my vet is fantastic and have faith in him. 

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 15:17:11 PM »
It is a lot of money, but guess when you take on a pet you should look into those sorts of costs from the outset to be sure you can provide them with the care they need. It may be that in your friend's case her circumstances were different to what they are now, because life does throw you curve balls as you well know. But, if she is unable to pay the cost of the spay at present, can she not simply keep the cat indoors so as to ensure it does not fall pregnant until she is able to cover that cost?

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 15:16:59 PM »
It may be worth her shopping around.  My vets charge about £35 for spaying so there's a big difference.  What area is she is?  Also, if she's on Benefits, it would be wise to get her on the PDSA scheme for the future, she will have to send I think, a £4 postal order and they will send a certificate to cover future vet bills, this won't include jabs, worming or the spaying but would be handy to have just in case.

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 15:14:49 PM »
I think Cats Protection will pay the full cost of a spay or neuter in some cases.  Your friend should contact them to enquire.  I seem to recall ela mantioning this in the past.

£73 does sound rather steep.  I don't know how much it is at my vets as I've never had a female, but I think it's about £60.  Even £73 is less than the cost of raising kittens though!

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
No wonder people dont get their cats done !!
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 15:09:32 PM »
A friend of mine has taken on a kitten as it was homeless.
The kitten came into season last night.
My friend is going through a divorce and is on benefits at the moment.

I have just rang a vets local to her to find out how much the cost of spaying will be
Well i nearly fell off my chair - £73  :wow: :wow:
I have just rang the local CP who have told me this is about the right price (Thank goodness my vet gives me a huge discount)

CP will give a voucher for £26 off the price of spaying

I rang PSDA but because there isnt a hospital in my friends area they wont help.

I cannot believe it is £73 to spay a female cat....I know vets have to make a living but WOW  that is a hell of alot of money for an OP that takes less then 10mins.

No wonder so many people dont spay their cats

Link to CatChat