Author Topic: Can cat milk cause dihorreah?  (Read 2923 times)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
Re: Can cat milk cause dihorreah?
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2008, 13:02:15 PM »
I tried them on watered down soymilk (I'm lactose intolerant, so that's what I use), but they just gave me the, "and this would be what, exactly?" look :tired:

Haha, yes I tried soy milk with mine - once! Their reaction was similar!!  ;D

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2007, 18:07:17 PM »
I found that mine had soft poos when they'd had cat milk (even diluted) so I stopped giving it to them. They sometimes have goats milk though, which I also water down a bit - and doesnt cause any probs.

That's a great tip, Gillian - I'll have to try that. I like to be able to give them a treat now and then, but very rarely give catmilk because of the associated bottom-issues :sick:
I tried them on watered down soymilk (I'm lactose intolerant, so that's what I use), but they just gave me the, "and this would be what, exactly?" look :tired:
I suspect the goats milk would get a better reception! :evillaugh:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2007, 14:01:02 PM »
I found that mine had soft poos when they'd had cat milk (even diluted) so I stopped giving it to them. They sometimes have goats milk though, which I also water down a bit - and doesnt cause any probs.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2007, 11:48:30 AM »
She is fine today  :Luv2:

In fact, even more affectionate than usual and has been rolling round showing me her belly  :Luv2:

Shame I had to upset her with the carpet shampooer which sounds like a plane taking off  :scared:

Anyway, she cheered up when I offered her some sainsbury's pate with prebiotic  ;D
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 14:22:23 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2007, 11:02:46 AM »
ditto, Misty came with a mini-pack of cat milk which I forgot about since it is not part of my cat's diet. After she left I poured a thin smear into the bowl for my cats, which they scoffed up with great pleasure. I was not so pleased when it came to litter-box cleaning time ... :sick:

Offline Schmew

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2007, 10:52:22 AM »
I'm not a fan of cat milk, and mine never have it. Might be coincidental, but years ago I gave some to my Ted and he was really ill afterwards, so I just don't chance it anymore.

Hope Alice is ok today Mark

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2007, 22:15:26 PM »
My two can get a touch of runny-bum when they get cat milk, even when watered down, mainly because they chug it in about 5 mins without stopping for breath :tired: It's for this reason that they get it about once a month as a treat only.
One way I sometimes con my two into drinking more is to boil some chicken or turkey with nothing added (which they get as their "treat" food every week), and give them the water it was boiled in (after straining it). They love it! ;D Of course, you can only leave it down for them for one evening before ditching it, what with the risk if it going a bit squiffy.

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2007, 20:01:02 PM »
Hi Mark

I have a mini blender that I do Milo and Bella's food in (25) she has CRF and is a butter to get too drink sometimes, they have gravy food too and I add water to it, they love it. I got the mini blender from Lidl a couple months ago

Hope she is better soon  :hug:

xx

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2007, 19:19:32 PM »
I only let them have catmilk about twice a week and always watered down (as advised by the vet) - I will hold off giving it to Alice. I know a lot of people say juice from Tuna is OK but even the springwater one has salt added and can mess with potassium levels and other things so I wouldn't give that.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2007, 17:45:10 PM »
Cat milk is a food, not a drink, so a better way of upping her water intake would be adding water to her wet food, although if she isn't dehydrated, and eating mainly wet, I wouldnt worry about it, and just check her if you are concerned while she has diarrhea, as you could make things worse for her otherwise.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2007, 13:48:48 PM »
I agree with bc, one little dose of diaherea wont be problem and she sounds like she us getting plenty of liquid from her food.

As long as she always had access to water she should be fine, she will drink if she is thirsty.

You dont want to put her off her food by messing with it  ;D

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2007, 13:26:41 PM »
don't know if it the same for cats as it is for humans, but too much water can actually cause diarrhoea in humans - I know cos in Queensland I used to drink llitres of the stuff and for a while there, thought i had something nasty going on,  but it turned out to be just a case of cutting back on the water intake ...

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2007, 13:16:38 PM »
Still cause for caution, especially when she has diarrhea - She doesn't eat much dry but I try to compensate for the lost fluid

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2007, 12:35:59 PM »
If she's not dehydrated then her fluid intake is fine. No cause for fuss or worry ...

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 12:34:48 PM »
I think it's just a case of keeping her fluid intake up. I will probably start adding a bit of water to her pouches before feeding before thinking about sticking needles in her. She prefers gravy type pouches anyway. I don't think she is dehydrated but just something I need to keep an eye on.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 11:05:54 AM »
If you are worried she may be dehydrating, then you can check simply. Just take a pinch of her back skin, where it is loose. If it goes back into place immediately on release she is fine. If it takes a wee while then you have grounds for concern and should probably see the vet for some subcutaenous fluids.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 11:00:13 AM »
just cos you don't see her drink doesn't mean she doesn't.

I know she doesn't as the 2 water dishes don't go down. It's not like the other cats where they drink in the garden etc. I discussed it with Sharon and just giving her chicken & fish today and see how she is tomorrow. She was wolfing the chicken just now so can't be feeling that poorly  :Luv2:

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 09:36:24 AM »
I would cut it out until you see the vet mark - dairy is not a necessary element in an adult cat's diet, and just cos you don't see her drink doesn't mean she doesn't. If she is on a wet-only diet, then I would not be too concerned as all other parts of her health and behaviour, as described, suggest she is doing just fine.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Can cat milk cause dihorreah?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 09:29:18 AM »
I know it is supposed to be the  lactose in regular milk that causes it but Alice has been having bouts and I think it ma be caused by cat milk. I water it down anyway as the main reason I give it to her is to up her fluid intake as she doesn't drink much (if any) water. She did a very pale poo yesterday hours after having it and then a runny bum. She was also sick on the carpet. I will get her to the vet this week, although she seems well in herself. She has generally filled out, purrs for england and her coat has improved.

Link to CatChat