Author Topic: Sniffles  (Read 2231 times)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Sniffles
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2007, 21:43:40 PM »
Gah! Thanks again Gillian. As usual my cats are proving their superiority to me by knowing best! ;)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2007, 12:32:28 PM »
Will order ASAP, then. Thanks. :hug: They're both doing OK, apart from being stubborn and refusing to understand why I'm trying to limit them going outside! The girls aren't affected at all - no snuffles for them. (Ain't it the way? Man flu, even cats do it!)

LOL! - by the way, I wouldnt limit their outside time - fresh air is good for the sniffles, its being inside with heating on etc allows germs to breed!!

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2007, 23:55:21 PM »
Will order ASAP, then. Thanks. :hug: They're both doing OK, apart from being stubborn and refusing to understand why I'm trying to limit them going outside! The girls aren't affected at all - no snuffles for them. (Ain't it the way? Man flu, even cats do it!)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2007, 15:34:17 PM »
Thanks Gillian. :) There's no price on the paste as far as I can see, but I think that might be easier.

The paste isnt available in this country yet,  spect it will be though. The lysine capsules are just as good and don't have any other ingredients which the paste does. You can just split the capsule and mix in food, mine don't notice it.

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2007, 14:06:35 PM »
well we are after all just at their beck and call!   ;)  lol
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2007, 14:02:35 PM »
Yep, one thing my mob are good at - remembering to take care of themselves.  ;D

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2007, 14:01:06 PM »
that's good jack....  glad to hear they eating well adn keeping themselves nice and warm.

Sending big purrs adn head bumps from my lot.

Sxx

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2007, 23:10:44 PM »
Thanks Gillian. :) There's no price on the paste as far as I can see, but I think that might be easier.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2007, 12:01:30 PM »
Thanks Gill. Is Lysine prescription or can I just buy it at a vets?

You can get L-lysine at health food shops or online - I get mine here https://www.yourhealthfoodstore.co.uk/details.php/p1723_chorley_health_foods_l_lysine.html - its a natural amino acid (like taurine etc) and it can help with herpes flu virus. It comes highly recommended by holistic vet Richard Allport (writes in Cat World). The veterinary medicines companies are already realising they could make some money out of this and one company Vetoquinol, markets its own lysine product in paste form http://www.vetoquinol.ca/en/index.asp?page=145  - be available here soon I expect.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 11:46:58 AM »
MKR, My oldest tom is actually prone to colds - has been since he was small. And the other tom is a diabetic so I think the mixture of his lowered immune system and cold weather has caused him to catch it off the older guy. They really loved their chicken the other night(as did the two girls - well, it's only fair!), and are actually eating pretty well so I'm more concerned about them being miserable because they have colds TBH! They are both using their smarts pretty well and sleeping it off in warm places as far as I can tell!

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 23:19:21 PM »
I'd double check with your vet jack....  if it is one of the cat flu viruses especially Calici then antibiotics defo needed to nip it in the bud quickly (IMHO) :)

As you say tho ... it could just be a cold... make sure their fluid levels stay up and they don't get dehydrated.  If blocked noses stick to smelly foods and even warm the food in the microwave so they can smell it.  If they can't smell the food it can put them off eating altogether. :)

Let us know how you get on.  ;)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 18:02:04 PM »
Thanks Gill. Is Lysine prescription or can I just buy it at a vets?

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 12:19:10 PM »
Two of my mob (the boys) have got the sniffles. I've posted regarding this before as one of them is prone to colds but can't find the thread. What can we do to make the colds pass more quickly? I don't want to dose them with antibiotics again unless nescessary.  They all had some chicken last night, and my partner made up a fluffy bed (they already have nine of their own, but he used my fake fur throw!) to encourage them to relax and not be as interested in going out. Any other suggestions?

Have they been diagnosed before with any specific condition? for instance the cat flu viruses? Its just that the herpes cat flu virus can respond well to L-lysine, not sure about calici cat flu. Lysine may well work with sniffles that arent related to either of the cat flu viruses, so its worth a try.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Sniffles
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 11:31:18 AM »
Two of my mob (the boys) have got the sniffles. I've posted regarding this before as one of them is prone to colds but can't find the thread. What can we do to make the colds pass more quickly? I don't want to dose them with antibiotics again unless nescessary.  They all had some chicken last night, and my partner made up a fluffy bed (they already have nine of their own, but he used my fake fur throw!) to encourage them to relax and not be as interested in going out. Any other suggestions?

Link to CatChat