Author Topic: Cat chasing his brother off  (Read 1395 times)

Offline Laurensimm

• Adult Cat
Cat chasing his brother off
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 23:33:21 PM »
Thanks yeah I ordered some da bird toys and they arrived today. I played with milo with it when I got home. Louis was no where to be seen. I had to go and find Louis again today and physically carry him home. Milo was pouncing on him again and Lou was hissing and running away from him and then Lou was all tense.

While milo was upstairs I tried playing with Lou with the da bird. He was playing but then milo heard and come down and Lou lost interest.

I don't know what to do. I think Louis doesn't like his brother anymore and I wonder if Lou has decided that staying outside is less stressful.

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 23:33:00 PM »
Yes that's a great way to distract milo from being aggressive to use play to wear him out. If alot if his energy used up there will be much less for him to use  on aggression.
I know we sell it and its not a plug lol but have you tried both of  them with the flying frenzy toy or da bird It really is the best interactive toy for tiring cats out :)

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
Re: Cat chasing his brother off
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 23:01:28 PM »
Further to my reply on the other thread, it might be worth keeping them in for 2 weeks or so. This way you can watch them and Milo will have less space for his aggression. You'll know what's going on between them and will be able to use distraction methods, such as play, to stop Milo's pursuit of his brother.  :hug:
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Laurensimm

• Adult Cat
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 22:30:14 PM »
I have two brothers who are 21 months old. Both been neutered. They are indoor and outdoor cats and have a cat flap.

They used to be the best of friends and would happily play fight all night and take turns chasing each other and then engage in mutual grooming. As they got older they don't do it as much. I guess this is normal.

However, milo is the more territorial of them and is always the one to chase Louis. Louis doesn't seem to want to play anymore though and hisses at him. Milo has pretty much always tried to bite Louis on his back and Louis (poor thing) howls and hisses and runs away from him. Milo usually gives chase. It usually plays itself out with Louis jumping in the window sill or something and milo getting bored.

I went through a spell about a month ago where milo was really attacking Louis. Possibly redirected aggression after milo had a fight in the yard with a neighbourhood cat. Milo saw it off but was on high alert afterwards! Louis wasn't even around but the chasing Louis and biting him was lasting all night. I tried everything - shouting at milo, using a water spray on him, time outs, feliway plug ins and spray, I tried tiring milo out with a ribbon to chase ... Eventually it seemed to subside thankfully.

Since then the weather has been really hot and both cats are out a lot. Milo patrols the backyards and Louis goes a bit further afield. His favourite place seems to be in some hedges on the road behind. I was having to go and fetch him everyday and was very worried that Louis had decided to move out but then it was cooler yesterday and he finally came back of his own accord! Yay!

Today its warmer again and Lou has been back to his hedge but he re appeared about 7pm for his tea. He was just chilling in the yard and milo chased him off - twice! It was like he had the 'devil' in him! I found Lou in the hedges and brought him back and milo did it again!

How can I stop milo from chasing Louis off? I just want Lou to he able to chill in his own backyard but it seems to me that milo is set in being the dominant cat and doesn't even want his brother in his territory. I'm sad about this 😢.

I bring them in at night even though they are probably safer out at night as I can't sleep if they are out - can you tell I live alone? Crazy cat lady lol. They don't seem as bad in the house now. Milo still chases Lou but the fighting isn't as bad.

Does anyone know how I can stop milo chasing Lou out of the yard? Sorry to ramble ... I feel sorry for Louis!

Link to CatChat