Author Topic: A very worried mummy - Support and vibes for strength needed.  (Read 17938 times)

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: A very worried mummy - Support and vibes for strength needed.
« Reply #103 on: November 04, 2008, 07:04:05 AM »
Layla  :Luv2:
that poem has made me  :'( :'(
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline koscha (Ruth M)

• Hero Cat
  • Meowmy to Kelirehenna, Rincewind & Zeratul
« Reply #102 on: November 04, 2008, 02:40:00 AM »
RIP sweet Layla, no more suffering  :'(

DS,you gave her a very precious gift, that of a loving home.  :Luv:

She had an excellent life compared to that which she started with, you never gave up on her, despite her many issues.

Bless you all at this difficult time.....

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #101 on: November 03, 2008, 14:36:18 PM »
I too have only just caught up with this thread, after having seen your Rainbow Bridge thread.

I am so sorry for all you have been through and know exactly how you feel as I  had the same sort of problems with my precious Tarka.  If you search, I am sure you will find his story but basically he was 10 months old and had been incontinent or had bad diarrhoea all his short life.

I, like you, felt incredibly guilty in the fact that I was upset at having to clean up after him all the time and, to this day, I still feel so, but I know in my heart of hearts he had no real quality of life.  He spent most of his short life in a pen as he could not be left to roam around as he constantly had a runny bum, and his life was never going to improve.  His favourite past time was to sit on my shoulder but I had to be so careful he didn't move around my face too much and I could have four or five clothes changes a day.

Be proud of the life you gave to Layla - many would have given up long before you did - and be very, very proud of the love that she knew she was given by you. :Luv2: :Luv2:

RIP Layla, find little Tarka to play with and have fun with on the Bridge.
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline Lynds

• Adult Cat
  • Izzy
« Reply #100 on: November 03, 2008, 11:01:57 AM »
Heartbreaking.

:'(

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #99 on: November 02, 2008, 23:31:19 PM »
So sorry have only just seen this thread today but saw the other thread. I am so very sorry but you made the hardest and kindest decision  :hug:

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #98 on: November 02, 2008, 21:11:45 PM »
So sorry Debs.

RIP little Layla :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #97 on: November 02, 2008, 21:03:25 PM »
I have only just read your thread and I am so so sorry.  Your poor baby RIP Layla

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #96 on: November 02, 2008, 20:02:24 PM »
i only caught up with this  thread a couple of days ago and my heart goes out to you, it must have been heartbreaking to lose her after trying so hard, but at least she knew you loved her very much  :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #95 on: November 02, 2008, 19:15:58 PM »
RIP Layla, your mummy loved you very much

IF IT SHOULD BE

If it should be that I grow weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then you must do what must be done,
For this last battle cannot be won.

You will be sad, I understand.
Don't let your grief then stay your hand.
For this day, more than all the rest,
Your love for me must stand the test.

We've had so many happy years.
What is to come can hold no fears.
You'd not want me to suffer so;
The time has come -- please let me go.

Take me where my need they'll tend,
And please stay with me till the end.
Hold me firm and speak to me,
Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time that you will see
The kindness that you did for me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I've been saved.

Please do not grieve -- it must be you
Who had this painful thing to do.
We've been so close, we two, these years;
Don't let your heart hold back its tears.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 19:16:45 PM by Millys Mum »

Offline psychopunk

• Adult Cat
  • pipsqueak & cuscus (not in the picture)
« Reply #94 on: November 02, 2008, 18:56:58 PM »
 :candle:  RIP Layla  :Luv:

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #93 on: November 02, 2008, 18:55:57 PM »
I'm so sorry that it has come to this  :hug:

RIP lovely Layla.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #92 on: November 02, 2008, 18:51:44 PM »
I'm just so very sorry. RIP with no more suffering little Layla.  :hug: xxx

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #91 on: November 02, 2008, 17:08:29 PM »
Really sorry to hear this  :hug:  RIP Layla xx

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #90 on: November 02, 2008, 16:47:49 PM »
Im so sorry
 :hug: :hug:
love
Tab

Offline sazkat2

• Senior Cat
« Reply #89 on: November 02, 2008, 14:47:30 PM »
Im so sorry Im thinking of you all  :hug:

PLEASE GIVE A BLACK CAT A CHANCE LOTS ARE LEFT IN RESCUE JUST BECAUSE OF THEIR COLOUR.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #88 on: November 02, 2008, 14:06:31 PM »
So sorry Debs, I really feel for you  :hug: I'm glad that the vet can come out and that you can have this last quiet time with her, thinking of you  :hug:

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #87 on: November 02, 2008, 13:48:08 PM »
I just want to thank everyone for all their support with my proncess over the last couple of months... all the ups and downs... All your supportive words and healing vibes have really helped us through what has been the most heart wrenching time. I can't ever remember feeling so sad and scared.   

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
Re: A very worried mummy - MORE HELP NEEDED! Bad start2day- very emotional :(
« Reply #86 on: November 02, 2008, 13:43:34 PM »
:'(
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #85 on: November 02, 2008, 13:41:34 PM »
I called our vets practice over an hour ago as she has had several bouts of incontinence since I last posted and although out of hours, I have a good relationship with my vet and he came by to look at her. (I see him for CP cats as well as my own 3) He explained that he thought she was definately suffering and confirmed what I had thought, the time has come. It is something we have discussed on the last few visits to the vets and so I knew it would come to this. He has arranged for us to have a couple of hours with her and then we are to take her to the surgery at 3pm today for her to pass on. Our lovely vet has assured me that it's the kindest thing for her and I don't want her to suffer anymore but I feel absolutely devastated and am dreading it. She is laying on the sofa with me now and looks so peaceful as she's asleep. I love her more than anything and I am going to miss her more that I can describe. I feel like my heart is breaking.

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #84 on: November 02, 2008, 13:01:59 PM »
We did try some probiotic in syringe form some time ago but things got even more runny, I will chat to the vet about it though- thank you.

they didn't work for our cat either but it was worth a mention as I believe it can for some.

Offline Lynds

• Adult Cat
  • Izzy
« Reply #83 on: November 02, 2008, 12:55:26 PM »
I've just sat and read this thread and my heart goes out to you. You must be going through hell.

I don't have anything particularly useful to say but want you to know I'm thinking of you.

:hug:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
Re: A very worried mummy - MORE HELP NEEDED WITH LAYLA PLEASE!
« Reply #82 on: November 02, 2008, 12:24:31 PM »
I have been looking at a new product from Feliway which is called 'Felifriend' which is a spray which can be sprayed on new objects in the house to make cats accept them- I wonder if it would help if I sprayed it onto teh trays to make her feel more at ease with them. Has anyone tried it?

Felifriend is used to help cats feel more comfortable about people that are handling them rather than accepting objects around the house - which is where Feliway spray comes in. I use Felifriend on my hands for instance, when I'm meeting a new cat either for grooming or cat-sitting, its used by vets, rescue workers etc. Feliway spray is better used for objects around the house - but not near the trays, its main use is in preventing spraying therefore you spray the target areas - so you wouldnt want to spray the trays as it may mean she avoids (even more)

I agree with Des, that the real problem may be linked to the consistency of the poo and if she has a touch of BD she will feel a bit uncomfortable when she poos and therefore will avoid places (like trays) where she remembered feeling like that. Unfortunately the course of antibiotics can make the problem worse - bit of catch 22 really. Theres no point starting probiotics until the antibiotic course is finished as antibiotics kill of good and bad bacteria therefore the probiotic will have no effect, but when the course is finished LactoB is a good probiotic http://www.petmeds.co.uk/c-523-lacto.aspx?gclid=CIno4_W91pYCFQOx1AodBhhV3Q

Is Layla the one who won't eat anything but dry food? I think diet should be a real conisderation, if you can get her eating wet food without grains/cereals or even better a raw diet that would firm up her poos it may start things on the right road. Have a read of this, see if it is any help http://www.catnutrition.org/ibd.php

So sorry your'e having a tough time at the moment, :hug: I know how frustrating it can be - my Jasper who has CRF frequently goes right next to the tray, or by the front door, or on my bedroom carpet  :sick:

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #81 on: November 02, 2008, 12:23:12 PM »
Well, I have just had a horrible experience that's made me realise a few things- I think poor Layla may be quite incontinent to be honest. She's just sat in the middle of the lounge and all of a sudden has pooed. She had a bit of a shocked look on her face once to had happened but she genuinely didn't seem to expect it at all. I've cleaned her up and now she is just laying on the sofa next to me and she looks so sorry for herself. I can't help but think this has been happening more than I realised and I feel awful.
I've just been talking to my mum too and she thinks that she is suffering. She has so many health problems and has had so much vet treatment in her short life and she always looks so sad. for a two year old she should be playful and sprightly but in fact all she does is sleep. The only time she is hapy is if she is curled up with me or OH. She has had a continual cold since June and I can't even tell you how often she has had treatment for it only for it to come back a week later. She has frequent bouts of cystitis due to bladder disease which although are under control at present, I can never tell if she is still uncomfortable as she can't tell me. She sits and rocks if she isn't laying down probaly due to her possible brain damage. On top of all of this, if she isn't able to know when she needs to go to the toilet then I don't know what quality of life she has. I feel so guilty as I wonder if she has felt like enough is enough for a whil now and I just haven't faced it because I don't want to be without her.

Offline sazkat2

• Senior Cat
« Reply #80 on: November 02, 2008, 11:38:58 AM »
Im so sorry you are so upset today it must be so hard for you all.   :hug:  Just something you could ask your vet about - there is Hills ID cat food that is good for upset stomachs but it is a little pricey but may be worth ago.  It must be difficult for you if it is runny.  The lino was a good idea but if you cant put it down how about some sort of plastic sheeting that you could roll up when u like?  I hope you are feeling a little better as I know how upsetting it is for you  :hug:

PLEASE GIVE A BLACK CAT A CHANCE LOTS ARE LEFT IN RESCUE JUST BECAUSE OF THEIR COLOUR.

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #79 on: November 02, 2008, 11:20:54 AM »
We did try some probiotic in syringe form some time ago but things got even more runny, I will chat to the vet about it though- thank you.

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #78 on: November 02, 2008, 11:16:57 AM »
I do feel for you in this situation and poor kitty too, we had a similar situation when our Squeaky got older and it is very frustrating.  He pooed anywhere but the tray or missed it when he did, have your vets tried probiotics for his tum?  I also know that the 2 cats we adopted later had sensitive tums and were very similar, the CP advised us to only feed Purina biscuits as they have high proportion of rice and they were much better on that.  I do hope you can sort something out x
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 11:17:28 AM by janeyk »

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #77 on: November 02, 2008, 11:16:32 AM »
On the outside of the ears?

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #76 on: November 02, 2008, 11:13:41 AM »
I use REscue Remedy on Kizzy, I put 4 drops in her food, 2 times a day, and you can put it in their water and on their ears - up to 4 times a day for humans.
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #75 on: November 02, 2008, 11:09:55 AM »
I have had her poo tested and a variety of tests done at 3 different vets (I have always been looking for a dfinitive answer but even new vet who is fantastic hasnt found anything suspicious in samples/ bloods) as her poo has a tendency to be frequently on the runny side, not diorreah but nether the less, very loose.  :sick: It's been something I have always been very concerned about but apparantly she has what can be compared to the human condition IBS. Sometimes they are hard, more than often they are soft. It makes no difference though in terms of her toiletting habits- 90% of the time they are on the carpet. The ABs don't help her as she has a sensitive tum but it's not much worse than normal.

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #74 on: November 02, 2008, 11:03:24 AM »
I'm just wondering if I need to give her something else to help with her stress, we have feliway on the go all the time in the same rooms as the trays but I am thinging of going to boots and getting some rescue remedy- what's it like for cats? What's teh cat dosage and how often to give? How long ca it be given for?

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #73 on: November 02, 2008, 11:02:54 AM »
one thing that stands out is the fact her poo isn't solid - i have found they are more likely to miss if they do sloppy poos - is she always sloppy or is it cos of the ab's?
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #72 on: November 02, 2008, 10:52:00 AM »
Thanks- I will get some when I manage to find some more bits to sell on ebay- it's only days from payday and I am already skint due to all the vets bills.

To be honest with you all, I am crying m eyes out as I type, and have been ever since I got up. Things have got to a point where I have honestly don't know if I can cope, I know I will keep going but I am miserable and so is OH. It's awful that such a sweet and loving cat can do that to us but she is. This morning I woke up expecting poo on the pads with high hopes for teh carpet and no- empty, clean litter trays x3, pads all around and poo (3 big, sloppy piles) around on the outside on the carpet. If the litter had been used by one of the others I could explain it but there was really no explanation for this- it feels deliberate except I know it probably isn't with her because she doesn't have any malace in ehr at all- she literally goes wherever she is when she decides she needs to go. I am starting to worry that she doesn't have te control to use the tray :(

And then I go back to worrying about whether or not she's feeling so ill and this is why she behaves like this.... she has so many problems but my vets opinion is that they are all separate and as they are being managed, I don't know if she is  necessarily suffering although cats can hide things welll. The other thing I am starting to wonder is whether or not she would prefer to be an only cat with someone who was home a LOT and could support her when she needs to go. We initially got Oscar as a companion to her as she was crying everytime we went out when we first got her and her and kitten Oscar got on great but as soon as he grew and wanted to play fight she went right off him. Because she was getting so fed up with his attempts to play, we introduced Rufus who now fulfils Oscar's play requests and they adore each other and leave Layla alone most of the time but she still hisses at them if they go to give her a sniff or show any affection apart from at dinner time when they just ignore each other.

AAGGGHHHHHHHH! I am just so torn but know that something has got to change because I thnk the point has come when I can't cope and don't know if she can. Please can someone tell me what they would do in this situation...
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 13:39:44 PM by Debsymiller »

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #71 on: November 01, 2008, 23:28:29 PM »
I bought 3 bags of cat attract from the show at Doncaster -buy 2 get 1 free and it was £43 for really big bags - 10kg i think  (3) , could barely lift them out of the car , but as no one around , had no choice !
They are from R&L Pet Products ( type into google or any search engine) they also do home delivery and its supposed to guarantee your cat will use it.
I bought this as they don''t do the one i have been using anymore .

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #70 on: November 01, 2008, 20:20:29 PM »
You can get a product called Cat Attract - I have mainly heard it on the US forum, and I did recently see it for sale in the UK, but I can't remember where, someone may have posted abut it on here though, so a search might help
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #69 on: November 01, 2008, 20:17:45 PM »
Well I got some puppy training pads plus another tray today and I've decided that I'm going to cover the whole area around the trays with pads and newspaper. Doggy pads are the pads that can be used to help train puppies and are very good for going in the bottom of pet carrier.

Would you be allowed to change the carpets to lino?
The dining room carpet continues through to the living room so probably wouldn't be appropraite even if we were allowed (not sure we would be) BUT nether the less was a very good idea- thanks! :)

I also think that a bit of the problem may be that the boys are always around when she wants to go as I noticed that she got in the tray earlier and then Rufus went bounding up to her to play/ annoy her and she stared at him for a while and then jumped out of the tray and ran away. I shut him in the living room and then took her back to the tray gently but by then she didn't want to know. When it was happening I was torn between going to grab him and leaving it to see what would happen cause I expected if I went and got him, that would have put her off too. I managed to get another tray exactly the same as the one she likes today so at least that gives her another to use if she dirties the tray when I'm not at home/ overnight as she won't use a tray twice. We already have about 7 trays in the house in all different places so she's nto short of choice anyway but at least this one is vry similar to the other one she likes so may encourage her to use it.

I have been looking at a new product from Feliway which is called 'Felifriend' which is a spray which can be sprayed on new objects in the house to make cats accept them- I wonder if it would help if I sprayed it onto teh trays to make her feel more at ease with them. Has anyone tried it? I don't know if there are any products which attract cats to a tray? I know PAH sell stuff for puppies that you can spray on pads but I don't know if there's anything similar for cats?

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #68 on: November 01, 2008, 20:03:09 PM »
Teresa uses them for Minimopsical, I just put them under the tray as they are more absorbent than newspaper - I was going through loads with Rosie, as she missed the tray a lot, bless her, and with my old covered tray I needed them under Mol's as she likes to wee standing up, but not had to use any for a while. They are just a bit bigger than a litter tray.
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #67 on: November 01, 2008, 19:56:46 PM »
Larger incontinance sheets, the kind you use to train a pup instead of newspaper

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #66 on: November 01, 2008, 19:49:42 PM »
When I have elderly cats in who have issues, I use doggy pads, I get mine from a garden centre called The RAnge, they are the cheapest i have found so far, and sometmes Netto has them in.

what are doggy pads?

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #65 on: November 01, 2008, 19:46:07 PM »
Would you be allowed to change the carpets to lino? Much easier to clean.  :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #64 on: November 01, 2008, 16:23:24 PM »
When I have elderly cats in who have issues, I use doggy pads, I get mine from a garden centre called The RAnge, they are the cheapest i have found so far, and sometmes Netto has them in.
Please spay your cat

Link to CatChat