Author Topic: Ollie's booster jab's  (Read 2744 times)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Re: Ollie's booster jab's
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2007, 15:54:12 PM »
I don't vaccinate mine against Leukaemia.  As they're indoor cats the chances of them catching it are negligible.

We don't vaccinate against leukaemia any cats that we are sure will be totally indoors.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2007, 14:36:30 PM »
I dont know how many vets do MM, I know our locum vet was quite happy to just vaccinate them against everything without checking, and wasn't happy at me for not agreeing with her - she didn't have an answer for not checking that my 10 and 13yos didnt have it first though. It is something that hasn't come up with my normal vet.
Please spay your cat

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2007, 00:32:02 AM »
I don't vaccinate mine against Leukaemia.  As they're indoor cats the chances of them catching it are negligible.  Yes they could get out, but they'd still have to come across a cat with Leukaemia to be in with a chance of catching it.  So I consider the risk of the vaccine to be greater than the risk of catching the disease, and my vet agrees.  Vaccine related problems seem to occur more commonly in relation to the leukaemia vaccine (and the rabies vaccine but that's not an issue for most of us) than the routine flu and enteritis ones.

Indoor cats need boosters for the reasons Teresa gave, but also if you ever want to put them in a cattery you will need to be up to date with vaccinations.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2007, 21:01:38 PM »
Cats who have the FeLV jab should also be tested for it to make sure they aren't positive

How many vets actually do that!

FeLV is a very fragile virus in the environment so it needs to be close contact.
Does a cat which never goes out need a FeLV vaccine?

No, because FeLV cannot be brought in on a person’s shoes or clothes, unlike feline parvovirus (feline panleukopenia virus) which can

http://www.gla.ac.uk/companion/ofelv.htm#How

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2007, 18:11:29 PM »
i personally dont vaccinate against FeLV as mine are older and have had outdoor access - cats can have a natural immunity to FeLV, and both their own immunity and hte vaccine have the same effectiveness. Cats who have the FeLV jab should also be tested for it to make sure they aren't positive. I can't remember the difference in cost at my vets.
Please spay your cat

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2007, 16:17:32 PM »
So really what I am gathering from this is its best just to get the normal vac with protection against leukemia just in case....best just to keep to the same then me thinks....

Have to  :rofl: at this now as Ive just spoke to CC and Ollie had his vacs today and she forgot to mention about the cheaper one  :evillaugh: ;)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2007, 09:23:22 AM »
have never had the FeLV vac, its not a cost issue - just a personal choice on info read

I appreciate we all make decisions on informed information.

I must say that since the FeLV injection started to become popular, I hear of so few cats with FeLV and in almost 5 yrs I cannot think of single domestic cat we have tested has been FeLV+. Before that it was a nightmare, there were so many. I think most if not all the rescues round here have all cats that are indoor/outdoor injected for enteritis, cat flu and Leukaemia.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2007, 21:39:01 PM »
There is quiet a difference in price between the 2 vacs at my vets.

I have never had the FeLV vac, its not a cost issue - just a personal choice on info read

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2007, 21:31:33 PM »
Leukemia is transmitted from cat to cat via bodily fluids,something as simple as regular mutual grooming. I vaccinate everything for Flu,Ent and Leukemia even indoor only.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2007, 19:53:49 PM »
Hmmm now let me see that = a £70 reduction for me as mine definately dont come into contact with other cats  ;D

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2007, 19:49:40 PM »
For my kittens vaccinations I got the triple it cost 38 pounds for both parts the double was around 28 pounds
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2007, 19:24:11 PM »
Ooo....I never knew this either and now the big question...is there a difference in cost?  :shy:

ccmacey

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 19:14:12 PM »
Thats strange, how is it passed? I mean Leukemia cant be passed from human to human, can it? Is it still cancer of the blood in cats?

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 19:11:08 PM »

How would he catch Felv from an infected cat? Can Leukemia be passed from cat to cat?

YES

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 19:09:51 PM »
CC
There are 2 different jabs

1) flue and Ent
2) flu, Ent and FeLV

My lot was have the double to the tripple

ccmacey

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 19:06:15 PM »
the Leukemia one is not needed if you are sure that Ollie doesnt mix with Felv pos. cats.

How would he catch Felv from an infected cat? Can Leukemia be passed from cat to cat?

T the booster comes in 1 jab so how could he not get the Felv one?

Learn something new everyday  :)

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 18:54:45 PM »
CC boosters for Flu and Ent are just as important for indoor cats, Flu is airborne and Ent can be carried in on clothing etc to your cat, the Leukemia one is not needed if you are sure that Ollie doesnt mix with Felv pos. cats.

ccmacey

Ollie's booster jab's
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 18:45:55 PM »
Hi all,

Just wondering do cats that don't go out need their jabs? The reason I'm asking is Ollie is due his booster but he doesn't go out of the garden and he hasn't for about 7 weeks. He is already 2 weeks overdue because he cant have his booster to close to his steroid jab, which he had 2 weeks ago.

Although he will still have his booster, he has had them from 9 weeks old and I'm not going to stop now, how would it be if he did not have it?

I suppose what I'm trying to say is do indoor cats still need their jabs? Although Ollie goes out into the garden he is indoors most of the time.

Link to CatChat