Author Topic: Anyone heard of Serene-UM?  (Read 2356 times)

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
Re: Anyone heard of Serene-UM?
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2007, 03:39:41 AM »
Im glad the Serene UM is working....i think its a great idea to change to a herbal alternative for the longer term  ;)

Offline lilycat

• Senior Cat
  • Lilycat
Serene-UM *update*
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2007, 22:23:04 PM »
Dave's been on the Serene-UM for 6 days and it has made a difference to him [and us]. He's calmer, but not overly so - this morning I was drying the dishes and some cutlery dropped from the drainer into the sink...he would normally have been really startled and scared but he just casually looked to see who was making the racket and then got back to a spot of second breakfast  :)

Also, there have been no more spraying incidents and he's now scent marking with his cheek  :cheer: and he's doing it loads; he's the mad professor of cheek rubbing but that's GREAT!!! Every time he does it I tell him how fantastic he is and give him a denta-treat.

Once these tablets have finished [he's got a weeks worth left], I'm defo going to try him on either Valerian or Scullcap and Valerian...a nice man from Dorwest answered an email enquiry I made about Dave's 'little problem' and I think I'd be happier with him on a herbal preparation in the long term.     

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 15:08:52 PM »
Vetuk also sell valerian.  Lola loves it but the others squint and run away  :rofl:

Offline lilycat

• Senior Cat
  • Lilycat
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2007, 22:24:17 PM »
Thanks ladies  :)

I've got Davey boy an appointment at the vet on Thursday to see if there's any medical cause for the spraying so I'm going to mention about referrals at the appointment - either a behaviourist or a homeopathic vet although I don't know how the homeopathic suggestion will go down; my vet isn't a massive fan of homeopathy.

I think I'll give the Serene-UM a go in the meantime, along with lots of fusses and positive reinforcement. I'll also be having a look at the link you gave me Gillian. Valerian, eh? I know they absolutely love it when I have Valerian tea...can't keep them away from it  :-:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007, 21:06:17 PM »
It contains INOSITOL, NICOTINAMIDE, TAURINE, L-TRYPTOPHAN, CALCIUM, VITAMIN B6, ZINC SULPHATE, VITAMIN E, SELENIUM and VITAMIN D.

I was going to try it with Dave, he's still spraying in the house and I thought that as it's more than likely an anxiety thing it may help him feel a bit less stressed. It says there are no recorded side effects and it's not addictive.

Don't see the reason for all those ingredients, when a drop or two of Valerian might do the trick! You can get Valerian from Dorwest Herbs. http://www.dorwest.com/prodinfo.asp?number=VAL

I mentioned homeopathic remedies in your other thread about Dave's spraying - any luck with finding a homeopathic vet? - Perhaps your vet could refer you. Homeopathy helped with my Harry's spraying.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 20:12:09 PM »
When I first took my feral in Blackie he was pretty stressed out being approx 4yrs old and never been in a house/near people etc....(getting back to the points lol!) I used this and yes it does calm them down....but he was a bit too dopey for my liking. Also the idea is to give them the drops/amount on their food for effect but while under the effect it is for you to conquer the underlying problem  ;)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 20:12:58 PM by Ruth (Bazsmum) »

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 18:33:40 PM »
I dont know what Inositol is but i dont think the other ingredients would calm anything as they are vitamins.
Have you tried rescue remedy?

Offline lilycat

• Senior Cat
  • Lilycat
Anyone heard of Serene-UM?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 16:16:04 PM »
Hi guys, I was at PAH this morning and noticed a product called Serene-UM. It's formulated to calm "hyperactive, agressive or nervous cats, dogs and small animals"

It contains INOSITOL, NICOTINAMIDE, TAURINE, L-TRYPTOPHAN, CALCIUM, VITAMIN B6, ZINC SULPHATE, VITAMIN E, SELENIUM and VITAMIN D.

I was going to try it with Dave, he's still spraying in the house and I thought that as it's more than likely an anxiety thing it may help him feel a bit less stressed. It says there are no recorded side effects and it's not addictive.

Any thoughts peeps? 

Link to CatChat