Author Topic: Aggression - suspected brain tumour  (Read 2113 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Aggression - suspected brain tumour
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2007, 07:44:25 AM »
It is a tricky one, all I can suggest is see what the vet says, but sometimes animals do rally round and have a good few days at the end.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2007, 23:57:06 PM »
See how he is for the rest of the week, maybe it was just a phase of the moon or something.

Not a good time to be going away.......is there ever!

Hope he stays well.

Offline Beccles

• Distinguished Cat
  • Daphne and Elettra born 18.06.06, Figaro 23.08.07
    • My weblog: Comprehension Dawns
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2007, 23:54:53 PM »
One of my personal assistants will feed and water them while I'm away - I like and trust her, but I'd want to be there with him if his life were ending.

He's still pretty cheery this evening and his poos have firmed up nicely  :sick: ... it's a rum'un, it really is.

I'm taking him to the vets for a bit of a checkup at least on Friday - I'll have to decide then, really.  :(
Spaying and neutering saves lives.
Nobody has a right to own a cat. It's a privilege.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 23:50:04 PM »
I do hope Ollie is Ok............who is looking after him while you are away?

A side issue here, Franta has also been a nasty man over the last 24hrs, causing trouble with the other cats , growling and hissing at me, also biting but today hes gone back to being a cuddlebum.

Sounds very similiar to Ollie cept Frantas not sick and was health checked only a month ago, he is nearly deaf though.

all my best thoughts for Ollie and you  :hug: :hug:

Offline Beccles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 22:26:39 PM »
Thanks for that, ladies.

The butter is... he's cheered up beautifully today. He's chirpy, active, been up on the sofa for easier demanding of head rubs, deeply interested in the grated cheese on my pasta... and he let me pick him up for a proper cuddle no problem at all, this time yesterday he'd have tried to eat my eyeballs if I'd so much as thought about it.

What on earth is going on? I had a chat with a locum vet on the phone today... Ollie's own vet is off sick  :'( and this woman really isn't nearly as pro-cat as nice Uncle Simon.

For now I'm just going to enjoy the fact that he's having such a good evening - but I'm going away on Friday for a week, which puts just a liiiiiiittle time pressure on things.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 20:50:29 PM »
I haven't read the other threads about Ollie, but he sounds very distressed. As the tumour is (I'm assuming) fatal, it may be wise to steel yourself for the inevitable. It could be the kindest thing for him now.

Have a good chat with a trusted vet.  :hug:
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 13:13:24 PM »
How scarey for you to see him like this, I don't know what to suggest, but sending positive vibes  :hug:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 09:48:04 AM »
Big  :hug: to you, hopefully you can have a chat with the vet and decide a way forward xxx

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Ralph's mum (angie)

• Super Cat
  • Rainbow Bridge Babies Bob, Max and Ralph 🌈💔
  • Slave to: Harvey and Ruby the mutts!!
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 09:44:57 AM »
sorry to hear Ollie is behaving like this, My thoughts are with you at the confusing time,

Good Luck you know Ollie bettert than anyone, have you spoke to vet today,  :hug:
Cats don't come when they are called,
They take a message and get back to you later.
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 08:14:11 AM »
SAdly, playing when seriously ill isn't always a good sign, and i would go more off his other symptoms, and have a frank chat with the vet. It isn't sounding good for the poor lad though. Good luck, and I will be thinking of the two of you.
Please spay your cat

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 01:52:34 AM »
Im not a 100% sure bout this but.....id be inclined to lean towards a tumour affecting a part of the brain.....very odd behaviour and mood swings...

This is probably something that only you and the vet can decide......its such an awful time when you know the end is near...all kinds of thoughts go through your mind.....but you know your cat best and i know you will do whats best for Ollie & yourself  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Beccles

• Distinguished Cat
Aggression - suspected brain tumour
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 01:38:38 AM »
Over the last 36 or so hours Ollie, who has previously been a fairly mellow character, has left me and been replaced by an angry, growly, snarly hissy spectre who I honestly think would hurt me if I handled him when he didn't want me to. He cornered one of my girls just now and I'm not entirely sure what would've happened if I hadn't intervened.

His pain's generally been quite well controlled, he's still eating and drinking and he had his DepoMed jab last Wednesday, which, as usual, reduced his inflammation levels down to the point where he regained some decent coordination - enough to come upstairs, which has always been a good indicator of how he's feeling.

I don't even need to touch him for him to growl - really growl, the kind of noise that makes you look for a burrow to escape down - hiss and spit, and if I do touch him he goes to claw or bite. To be honest, he's frightening me.

My thoughts are either that the tumour has intruded into an area of his brain that's causing more serious problems than the dizziness and confusion that he's had this far, or that he's developed bone metastases and is actually now in an immense amount of pain. Which generally is enough to make me go "ok, it's time to go now".

But.

He's still bloody playing!

Like a kitten, no less. Pouncing and dashing around, grabbing things...

I'm lost, guys. I really don't know what to do. I don't know what he needs - I don't feel confident that he's at the end of his life while he's playing like this, and until yesterday he was VERY snuggly and purry and generally appreciative of a warm, soft bed... but he can't go on like this and neither can I.

Your suggestions are welcome.

Link to CatChat