Author Topic: Aquadent - not sure about this  (Read 1354 times)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
Re: Aquadent - not sure about this
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2007, 19:01:08 PM »

Important note: I deduce that you have the same sort of opinion as I do, Gillian, and am supporting you, not criticising  :Luv:

Absolutely!

It worries me that this is going to be hailed as the next 'best thing for keeping cats teeth clean (and breath fresh)', and unsuspecting owners will feel its something they need to use for their catst, especially if vets start recommending - which incidentally is how I heard about it, not from my own vet, but in a newsletter from another vet - hailing it as a brilliant idea!

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2007, 18:28:39 PM »
I use canderal in my tea myself but cant see the point of that for cats..what next  :-:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007, 17:04:01 PM »
For what it is worth, I avoid artificial sweeteners, colourants or preservatives, nor will I eat products with artificially-reduced fat.  This cuts out all so-called diet foods and most processed food, but that is fine by me.

It follows that I would not use this product for Blip.  Her breath is fragrant, but if it were not, I would be off to the vet to find out why, rather than try to mask symptoms.

Important note: I deduce that you have the same sort of opinion as I do, Gillian, and am supporting you, not criticising  :Luv:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
Aquadent - not sure about this
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 15:59:31 PM »
This new product Aaquadent is put in cats drinking water to freshen breath and prevent plaque. However I've just seen it contains Xylitol, which is a sweetener and has been implicated in liver failure in dogs. Apparently there is no information on whether it affects cats similarly, but I find it worrying as we all know how cats livers arent able to deal with many chemicals etc. It also contains chlorohexadine - don't think I'd want my cat drinking that either - I found this about chlorohexadine: 'never meant for ingestion, and long-term effects have not been studied.' .

This is some of the blurb:

'Virbac Animal Health has announced the arrival Vet Aquadent, an innovation in pet dentistry. Pet Aquadent is a refreshing palatable solution that is simply added to pets’ drinking water to freshen their breath. It contains both chlorhexidine and xylitol molecules, well known in human dentistry for their effects on dental plaque and tartar. '

And this is some of the report about its toxicity in dogs:

'While vets have suspected that the sugar substitute xylitol can make dogs sick, there is now further clinical evidence of an association between the product and possible liver failure in dogs. A clinical report appearing in the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association (JAVMA) in October discusses the sometimes fatal conditions developed by dogs that have ingested xylitol. Xylitol, a sweetener found in many sugar-free chewing gums, sweets, baked goods and toothpastes, is a naturally occurring ingredient that may have far-reaching negative health effects on dogs.'

« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 16:08:58 PM by Gillian (Ambercat) »

Link to CatChat