Author Topic: Cat Flu varients & Chlamidia~8 wks of cross contamination  (Read 2629 times)

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
Re: Cat Flu varients & Chlamidia~8 wks of cross contamination
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2007, 06:27:46 AM »
Thanks Mark. I've been avoiding disinfectants and just using washing up liquid or very dilute bleach. I'll get some of the tesco stuff when I'm next in there.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2007, 00:31:53 AM »
You can get a pet safe disinfectant in tescos or virkon tablets (phenol free) from http://www.sphsupplies.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=473&osCsid=4605908d7bc1f69913df7c00abb7de7a

A lot of vets use it as it kills everything going. 50 tablets costs £11.99 but 1 tablet makes 500ml which you can keep in a spray bottle and it stays good for about 5 days - the colour fades it becomes unusable.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2007, 17:14:55 PM »
Seriously gorgeous indeed. seriously jealous .............. sigh

Offline Purrlishious

• Distinguished Cat
  • Poppy Ruby Dolly
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2007, 10:49:11 AM »
Rupee is a pedigree Bengal snow leopard Blackcat. Thankyou for saying he is gorgeous as he is just that. He is such a busy little boy with fun on his mind. He jumps up to be picked up & loves being cuddled. What is so cute is that he sucks a blanket while kneeding it. I could eat him, squeeze him & kiss him all day!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2007, 06:36:51 AM »
purrlishious, Rupee is possibly the most gorgeous kitten I have ever seen!! :catluv:. I adore his spots. Is he a 'breed' or just a happily blessed moggie??!!

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2007, 23:30:17 PM »
Glad to hear that your cats are getting better.
It isn't the odour in the disinfectant which is the problem, it's the phenol. This is a coal-tar derivative used in virtually all household disinfectants. It is extremely poisonous to cats, who can absorb it through their paws, skin, any way you can think of. The cat will quickly become very ill and die.

I'll try to find a link for you.

http://www.fabcats.org/poison_article.html

http://www.animalsheltering.org/resource_library/magazine_articles/jul_aug_2001/avoiding_poisonous_potions.html
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 23:51:47 PM by Hippykitty »
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Purrlishious

• Distinguished Cat
  • Poppy Ruby Dolly
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007, 22:50:06 PM »
Hi all. Thanks for your advice.
We are now treating them all on antibiotics at the same time to try & hopefully ease things. Even though this is a virus, since Monday when started treatment it's like having my old cats back again. They are playing madly, look so much better, eyes cleared & not as depressed, so anti b's are working.  A full time job giving 14 tablets a day though... when I can catch them! Fingers crossed!
The disinfected I use is a non odour HippyKitty.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007, 22:45:18 PM »
Be careful with the disinfectant, unless it has been purchased from the vet. All household disinfectants contain phenol, or a phenol derivative. This is  EXTREMELY TOXIC TO CATS. I really can't emphasise this enough. A cat can absorb phenol through it's paws, then become extremely ill.

I realise that you are trying to keep your place clean to avoid cross contamination; but it would be safer to use soap and water. Your vet may be able to sell you some cat-friendly disinfectant.

Dogs don't have this problem with phenols, as their bodies can destroy the toxins, as can ours.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2007, 15:47:01 PM »
i think the isolation along with a good viricidal cleaner ie VIRKON etc and yes defo speaking to vet again.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 14:43:48 PM »
Keeping them seperate or at least the ones showing signs of illness would help, and if you keep a seperate overall to use when handling them. Washed at a high temp.

I hope you get it sorted soon  :hug:
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 14:26:22 PM by Millys Mum »

Offline Purrlishious

• Distinguished Cat
  • Poppy Ruby Dolly
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 12:36:56 PM »
Will be contacting the vets tom Gill. Thanks.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 12:36:10 PM »
Could be you will need to keep them each in isolation from the other (what fun!!) as it sounds like they are re-infecting each other.

The new kitten has probably used her kitten skills to build up an immunity or may even be a carrier  :evillaugh: (someone who is infected but shows no symptoms). It will pass, eventually you know ... Good luck..

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 12:32:39 PM »
I think the only one who can answer this is your vet.

Offline Purrlishious

• Distinguished Cat
  • Poppy Ruby Dolly
Cat Flu varients & Chlamidia~8 wks of cross contamination
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 12:30:33 PM »
Hello buds
Can anyone give any advise to the situation I'm in please.
I have 5 adult cats & 2 kittens... mad I know, but love it. One of the kittens developed cat flu after a few days of having her. This then got passed round to all the others. 3 were due their boosters but unable to have this until it is all cleared up. 2 have had theirs & were not as ill, thought have very high temps & stayed in beds for two days with me bring food for them to eat there. They didn't have any other signs, no sneezing, no eye/nose discharge, but the others did. All were treated with antibiotics, metacam & eye cream.
As soon as I thought they were getting better it started again, one by one, so back to the vets for repeated treatment. It's a good job I have insurance.
Then this weeks Lillie's third eye lid came over which freaked me out as not seen this before. I rang emergcency vets who said it probably would be the infections so to see my vet next day. I was so upset to see her like that.
5 now have the Chlamydia strain... sounds awful. Yet the kitten who brought the virus in is the only 1 that has not had to have further treatment & is a very happy lively bunny.
Sunday... its all happening again & all are depressed. When will it ever stop? I cant even get the kittens vaccinated until it's all clear.

I feel unclean! The house is clean, well ventilated & use disinfectant all the time. All feeding bowls are washed when finished, the floor then cleaned. The litter trays are cleaned daily & again disinfected.

I read on one site that having all treated with antibiotics at the same time may help to irradicate it as my are cross infecting over & over again.

Am shattered & totally paranoid now!!!

Has anyone else shared this experience or have a magic wand to wave?

Thanks

Link to CatChat