Author Topic: Am I the only one who didn't know......  (Read 1532 times)

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
Re: Am I the only one who didn't know......
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2007, 08:10:57 AM »
I had to ditch a bunch of flowers a boyfriend had bought me when I read about lilies on this site a few months ago.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2007, 00:17:57 AM »
I was told by CP when I was taking on Misa and Sasa.

But the woman next door has a load in garden and they are just opening out grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I told her but she said that cats have lived here for ages with the lilies and no problem............Misa sees something green and munches grrrrrrrrrr, maybe they are the ones that are not so much a problem............hopes!

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 17:59:48 PM »
Its not just the leaves or petals that are toxic either, every single part of the lily is toxic, including the pollen. So they don't even have to have a chew at it - they could just rub past a lily flower, get pollen on their coat and lick it off - frightening, seeing as I always used to have lily plants in the garden - not any more!

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007, 16:35:13 PM »
It was on the News a couple of years ago - hence all my Lilly plants have been given away  :rofl:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 15:09:45 PM »
i did but only after being on this forum the past year kelly.

I was the same never had a problem but then i didnt have flowers in same space as the cats, i have to watch now though as cody would eat em (he prefers leaves and greenery to petals though)

I have also wondered before about the cats that go outside,.many peeps have lillies in the garden (inc me now) but we came to the conclusion with so much grass etc to eat and they have more common sense if they are outdoorsie types.

i had flowers from a supermarket (asda i think) that came with a warning earlier this year.

Offline Kelly

• Distinguished Cat
  • My first rescues Chas and Dave!!!
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 15:09:18 PM »
Its just something I never thought of and its never been mentioned anywhere so I just didn't know! I get flowers bought for me (OH trying score brownie points) so I don't read the packaging as he arranges them all for me!
Only The Educated Are Free

www.catactiontrust1977.co.uk

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 15:07:39 PM »
I only found out on catchat so quite recent. Tesco have a warning on them now. I had them all the time - I lost count of how many times I had them sticking out of the bin  :-: - Luckily Willow prefers plastic to greenery  :evillaugh:

I'm sure you know but the leaves are toxic too - Its a shame as I like having them and the smell is gorgeous
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 15:08:30 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Kelly

• Distinguished Cat
  • My first rescues Chas and Dave!!!
Am I the only one who didn't know......
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 15:02:53 PM »
that lillies are highly toxic to cats and can destroy their kidneys within a matter of hours??!!!! I always have lillies around the house - not anymore though!!!
Only The Educated Are Free

www.catactiontrust1977.co.uk

Link to CatChat