Author Topic: A very bad week, now cat with broken jaw that wont eat!  (Read 24837 times)

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
Re: A very bad week, now cat with broken jaw that wont eat!
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2007, 11:24:13 AM »
Rang the vets, Basil is still not eating. He is on a drip and seems bright, but that cannot be good.... I am very worried about him. 
Hope better news this evening.......

Suspose he is at the best place but i do feel for this mite.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2007, 11:55:31 AM »
fingers crossed for basil that he starts to feel better soon  :hug:

• Super Cat
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2007, 11:44:12 AM »
Basil got admitted at the vets again today...very dehyrated......so will be put on a drip. Hopefully he perks up asap......Poor mite....he did look unwell today.I just think he may of been discharged from the vets abit to early.....On fluids to perk him up eating then off fluids and not eating......Lets hope its just that........I don't want any more hard luck stories this week.........

Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2007, 10:35:42 AM »
poor basil, he doesnt sound to well or happy does he.  Pehaps you could pick up a couple of hills a/d tins from your vet or try him with a tin of sardines or mackeral in tomatoe sauce.

fingers crossed he picks up poor mite.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2007, 07:41:10 AM »
Aww, so sorry you are having a bad week, but fingers crossed it gets better for you.
Please spay your cat

Offline Schmew

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2007, 22:42:00 PM »
Keeping fingers crossed for all the furbabes  :hug:

I'm a fair distance away (North west) but if Asterix does turn out to be FIV+ he could come here with my other foster

x

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2007, 21:56:18 PM »
Just phone me - its quiet this week. The only rooms I could keep another cat away from my own  would be a guest room. I am full next weekend but this week is quiet. We are having the garden done at the moment and there will be a small summer house. It will be finished in a couple of months which doesn't help now but bear it in mind for the future. Also the fact that I am next door to animed might be handy.

Just give me a shout as I can collect if need be (I have 2 rooms booked tonight but they are checking out after breakfast tomorrow)
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

• Super Cat
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2007, 21:38:42 PM »
Lyn
Basil is on pain killers and antibotics, his mouth has been fixed internally. He is on no specail food and was eating okay at the vets before we picked him up, i do think that there maybe something else wrong. He is painfully thin! He does growl at you but isnt aggressive.... Poor mite, his coat is dull and he does look sorrowful, its just very hard to feed him as he is so weak and thin.  Trouble is with Basil is you dont want to hurt him, but maybe cruel to be kind. I left him in his heated igloo for the night with ID recovery food, chicken, water and mashed biscuits. But I doubt he will move all night...........

Mark.......we just may take you up on that.......? We are usually good at juggling cats, but its reached crisis point this week.

Terrible, week, the old tom i named Asterix is just in a land on his own, he is full of scabs and bites. Please no FIV cases...Especially, as if he is well outside and insdie and just needs TLC i have a home for him.....But i fear there is something else going on.....

Poppy the hernia puss, a lovely female......full of affection but again dull coat and that hernis seems to be getting worse.  We are advertising her for 14 days incase an owner comes forward, but really i think we will get her sorted asap.....

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2007, 21:22:35 PM »
Sharon,

I have a room that could be used between now and Friday if its any help. Just give me a shout.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007, 20:49:28 PM »
what a shame.  Tell me have the vets fixated the jaw to stabalise it ??  also is he recieving any type of tube feeding ??

I ask because years ago it was fairly standard for # jaws to be syringe fed initially until they started on their own, obviously this is distressing for both cat and carer.  I then started routine NG tube feeing for these types of cases and found this to be sucessful, altho it can be abit faddy due to time it takes for correct volumes of thinned a/d etc to be syringed down & of course cats arent too keen on the tube.  

Then not a huge amount of time before i left work we had a tortie came in with severly smashed mandible AND maxilla..poor thing was in such a mess and all necessary surgery was done to fixate both upper and lower jaw (including hard palate etc)  Due to her nasal passages etc being comprimised aswell i felt under confident in doing my normal ng feeding regime and also it would be unfair, I recalled whilst studying the procedure of placing a pharyngeal feeding tube and went on to persuade my boss who  hadnt used this method before to do it as the actual surgery isnt too complicated,
 well i can tell you the results were outstanding !!!! because a much larger tube can be used the volume of food to give is a doddle and the cat was SOOOOOOO much happier not having a tube up her nose and the owner was also very good when she took over the tube feeding (this cat needed it longer than normal due to severity of her injurys) and as the tube is stitched in place etc there is actually far less chance of it moving and the risk of aspirating food products.  We had several conversations at work (me & boss etc) discussing how amazed & pleased we were with this procedure considering how easy it was to put in place and the overall all round sucess..my boss said he would definately use this type of tube feeding again when the situation arose (i obviously left work so that was only case i have experience of)

If your puss you have in doesnt pick up and eat maybe either or of those feeding methods may be required.  Is he on painkillers as that might help too ?

Hope you arent so stressed next week X

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 20:36:06 PM »
My goodness a heep of trouble, so glad you got great fosterers. Hope that they all get sorted  :hug: :hug:

Offline tammy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Smudge
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 20:35:14 PM »
ohh gosh that sounds awful poor you!!  :grouphug: :care:

Hope things improve for you and your little furbabes soon.

• Super Cat
A very bad week, now cat with broken jaw that wont eat!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 20:29:42 PM »
This past week has been "bad" not only are we full to the gunnels lots of emergencies....
However, Basil that was taken in last week as a poorly puss got seen by the emergency vets, very poorly, collapsed and dehydrated... Stablised, at the vets for a day or so on fluids, xrayed and found to have a broken jaw. At vets all week, we didnt have anywhere to put him anyhows, come to a fosterer on Friday, but a real problem getting him to eat....... He is on meds...Tried to get him interested this evening but he will not have it, just stresses him out.  He is very thin... bones everywhere....... Moved him to an indoor fosterer tonight and see h ow he goes but off to the vets tomorrow, if he dosnt eat anything tonight..... He does look a poor thing. Ginger and white prob 5 to 7 yrs old, had  his broken jaw at least 2 weeks before anyone notifified us.............
Not only that a beaten up tom who I just pray, pray lots is not FELV positive. He looks a sorrowful state, is eating etc but shows no interest in life. Down the vets as well next week.

Two others we have no room to take, sorted out at the vets and someone looking after them until we have some space (not likely at the moment)
14 kittens and 4 mums...............
A dear female black puss found as a stray with chip but no one at that address, tried all week to find owners.....She has a bad hernia that will need sorting out asap as well. Maybe she got dumped because of that....

Oh dear. lets hope this week gets better............

« Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 20:32:46 PM by canterbury_cats »

Link to CatChat