Author Topic: Antibiotics after cat bite  (Read 1849 times)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Re: Antibiotics after cat bite
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2011, 22:55:38 PM »
How's Robbie been today? Hope he's almost back to normal :care:

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 20:15:36 PM »
24 to 48 hrs and if its a convenia jab it will last 2 weeks............isnt the name on your receipt?

Or "convenient" as we now call it........  ;)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 19:48:31 PM »
That's good to hear  :) Did the vet explain how, even though he's feeling much better, he needs to have extra Dreamies for a whole week?  :naughty:

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 12:17:31 PM »
Almost back to normal today :) He behaved himself very well overnight - ate all his biscuits which I had put away from the den and then settled back down in his den again. Didn't hear from him at all until 5.30am when he wanted proper food (applause).

He's having a snuggly day again today- not letting him out yet.  He's almost back to normal.

Hoping that the weight loss is just the summer thing and stopping free feeding.  He does usually look slimmer in summer due to playing out more but this year he didn't put much weight on over winter so he hasn't got as much to lose. He's still a big cat (not fat, just big) so I'll only be worried if he loses more between now and vaccination time.

Thanks guys :)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 00:11:09 AM »
Glad he's perked up a bit tonight  :hug:

My boys often lose a bit of weight over the summer due to being more active I guess so hope Robbie's trimmer waist is not from anything untoward  :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 23:17:29 PM »
Its a convenia jab then and he should be fine in a couple og days  :hug: :hug:

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 22:31:16 PM »
Our vets don't give out proper receipts so I've no idea what he has been given.  It is the one that lasts 2 weeks though.

Tonight he's a bit brighter - came out of his den whenthere was no-one with him and then slunk back into it when someone went into the room.  He's had a few Dreamies and a Webbox stick which he enjoyed whilst hiding in his den.  He came out and went to look out of the window (behind a closed curtain) when I left the room so he's obviously a bit insecure at the moment.  Gave him some biscuits whilst he was on the windowsill and he has now half snuggled upto me on the bed.

This is going to be a total break in teh normal routine as going to let him stay here tonight if he wants - normally he's shut in the kitchen with Sky for company.

Hopefully tomorrow he'll be back to normal. :)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 16:40:19 PM »
24 to 48 hrs and if its a convenia jab it will last 2 weeks............isnt the name on your receipt?

You could ring and ask them  :innocent:

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 15:57:54 PM »
Do you know the name of the jab he had?

Nope, didn't ask that either.  Lol.

He's still hidden away in his new den. I keep peeking in to make sure he's still breathing - silly I know, but he's so out of character.  He's lost weight as well so have to keep an eye on him and will recheck him when he has his vaccinations if he isn't better before then.  Hoping that this isn't the tip of the iceberg for something more serious as he's been on and off his food for a few weeks, has lost weight, been sick a few times and we think he may be drinking a bit more than usual - hard to monitor when there's two cats in the household though as either of them could be drinking a lot/being sick.

Sky's loving him being ill though - she follows him round to make sure he is okay and isn't bothered about him at all whereas normally she's a bit nervy still with him.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 13:51:11 PM »
Poor Robbie :care:

I can't remember for cats but I know for humans they say you should see an improvement in 48 hours on antibiotics so would have thought it would be a similar timeframe. Do you know the name of the jab he had?

:get well: Robbie  :hug:

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
Antibiotics after cat bite
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 13:47:45 PM »
Robbie has been bitten by something  when he was out last night and is a little bit poorly. He was whisked to the vet this morning, much to his disgust, and has had an antibiotics jab but I didn't think to ask how long it takes to be effective.  Anyone any idea?  I'm sure in the past it has been quite a quick response (obviously not immediately well but a noticeable difference) but so far there hasn't been a change.

He's feeling very sorry for himself at the moment and after initially jamming himself behind the sofa he has now come upstairs and is right against my bed. I've made him a bit of a den for security but he isn't showing much interest in anything.

Any excuse for a day off though - have taken a day to keep an eye on him :)

Link to CatChat