Author Topic: Another neighbourhood tom problem  (Read 1309 times)

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
Re: Another neighbourhood tom problem
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 17:30:07 PM »
If your OH is a he you could ask him to pee in pot rather than peeing in the garden!

I will suggest this to him - after all, who cares what the neighbours think as long as our cats are safe and happy?  :rofl:

ATM we're trying to solve the problem by trying to restrict Black and White's access to our garden - not easy as the end of the garden is a mess of foilage and knackered fencing (and as we're only renting, we can't get it all done properly).

But I think the human pee solution would be a lot simpler - and certainly cheaper!
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Re: Another neighbourhood tom problem
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 17:10:43 PM »
Am I right in thinking Drum n Bass are indoor only? As a temporary measure, if seeing him screaming at them through the patio doors is upsetting them, you could block the lower panel with a piece of card or something.

I have read that human pee sprinkled round teh borders of the garden can help stop unwanted intruders. If your OH is a he you could ask him to pee in pot rather than peeing in the garden! :naughty:

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
Another neighbourhood tom problem
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 16:15:58 PM »
Hands up, this is totally my fault!

Being cat lovers, we're always friendly to any cats we see. Last summer when we moved here we didn't have cats of our own but a neighbourhood tom (a scrumptious black and white) would visit us. In the summer, the patio doors were open a lot of the time and he would occasionally come into the house. We never gave him food but we also didn't discourage him from coming in.  :naughty:

Nine months on and we now have our two rescue girls but scrumptious black and white boy still thinks the garden - and, more worryingly, the house - is his. He often comes right up to the patio doors and if either of the girls see him there's a screaming match through the window, usually with Drum who's the dominant cat, although Bass is often around too. They both get upset and I'm convinced it's why Bass won't come into the living room very much.

I don't suppose there's much I can do, is there? I chase him off whenever he gets close but it doesn't stop him and I'm worried that he approaches the window during the day when I'm not around.
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Link to CatChat