Author Topic: Anyone's cat on maintenance dose of Cystease/Cystaid?  (Read 3512 times)

Offline Lotzy

• Adult Cat
Re: Anyone's cat on maintenance dose of Cystease/Cystaid?
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 14:04:36 PM »
Thank you for your replies.

Her cystitis is idiopathic and to be honest after 16 months of getting this, I've come to the conclusion that Cystease is the one thing that really helps her.  I did change her diet over to 100% wet cat food, although I sometimes put a few crunchies on top of her food with the cystease in it if she isn't interested (she has a big fat brother who will eat anything in sight, so you can't leave food hanging around for too long).  Tab, my cat is the opposite, Feliway doesn't seem to make any difference to her, although I did have one plugged in over Christmas with so much going on and for holiday times.

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 22:21:19 PM »
Amber is on cystease. She has repeated bouts of cystitis and (most embarrasingly) they seem to be connected to when Im stressed.
Im not too bad at the moment so shes on one a day when I remember. I also have found the feliway plug fantastic!. If I know theres things coming up that will bother me (like christmas) I stick the plug in and get the soppiest cat Ive ever known. If I spray the stuff though she hisses at me.

When I got Amber she didnt seem to know cat food at all and would only eat dry food. I managed to get her onto wet food and added water to help. Now (some 10 yrs later) I seem to have made a rod for my own back. I feed her wet and then she drinks loads of water and is sick. This is only once a week or so if Ive been out and left her.
I guess it depends on the cystits reasons. If its stress or idiopathic its harder to control Ive found as like I say the more stressed I get the worse she is..... and believe me having a vet say aww isnt that cute she loves you' doesnt help!
love
Tab

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 13:02:11 PM »
Jaffa has been on cystease for about 18 months (although to be fair, I ran out about 6 weeks ago and haven't got any more yet),  He never had cystitis regularly, but did have 4 bouts within 12- 18 months.   All were idiopathic cystitis (stress induced).  He has not had any episodes since I started the cystease - maintenance dose of 1 every other day.

Offline Lotzy

• Adult Cat
Anyone's cat on maintenance dose of Cystease/Cystaid?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 10:26:02 AM »
I have a cat who gets cystitis and the last bout which started in September took over a month to clear.  She's had all the usual tests and eats 90% wet cat food with a little water added. 

Can I ask those who have cats on cystease/cystaid permanently, how long they've been on it, how often is the dose and has it returned?  I would love to reduce my cat's dose, but don't want a bad case of cystitis back if that's  high risk.

Link to CatChat