Author Topic: Anyone heard of this treatment for unresponsive infections?  (Read 1863 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: Anyone heard of this treatment for unresponsive infections?
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 16:23:58 PM »
I'm sure they are. My guess is they would only last a matter of days and have to be kept in the fridge. I can get the full info if you want. They just mixed the cat's own WBCs with eye drops - don't know which ones.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 15:32:44 PM »
are the eye drops used as normal then?

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 12:28:25 PM »
I bumped into Paula this morning - she is fostering this cat (forgotten her name) and she is doing well  :Luv2: - I dragged Paula in to meet Laz and she said her foster is a female double (another one  :evillaugh: )
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 12:29:18 PM by Mark »

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Tagalong

• Senior Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 17:07:27 PM »
Oh yes there are good and bad vets young and old -I worked with a European lady once who was utterly appalling with clients and her patients.
Valerie and all my pets

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 17:00:35 PM »
Yes i've also heard of thie working -but having worked alongside different vets it's also worth bearing in mind that some of the more recently qualified may be more willing to try new treatmentswhich is commendable but also equally lack hands on experience and knowledge gained with time.

Good point but in this case, the old vet washed his hands of her - he said "old wound, nothing to be done" - I have had a low opinion of him for a long time and moved to a better vet ages ago. I don't know why he is still a CP vet tbh  :shy:

Offline Tagalong

• Senior Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 16:56:52 PM »
Yes i've also heard of thie working -but having worked alongside different vets it's also worth bearing in mind that some of the more recently qualified may be more willing to try new treatmentswhich is commendable but also equally lack hands on experience and knowledge gained with time.
Valerie and all my pets

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 10:10:13 AM »
Our vet did this with Turbo's eye damage last year and it helped it get back his 75% vision asnd we were so glad as the cets thought he would loose the eye but we were willing to give anything a go as he was only 11 months
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 10:05:34 AM »
Thats interesting Mark - although I don't remember the full details, we had a cat with severe eye problems from untreated infection (taken in as part of a major rescue 60+ cats and lots had eye infections). Blooming BSB  >:(

The vets worked hard on all the cats but one of the ex-breeding queens they managed clear up the infection and restored the sight. At the time they said it was like giving her her own anti-bodies to fight the infection.

So might have been the same type of thing. 

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Anyone heard of this treatment for unresponsive infections?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 09:26:44 AM »
Caroline (Welfare) was telling me yesterday about an elderly cat that came in recently. She was found 1/2 dead under a hedge. She was taken to one of the vets. She had an eye infection and her face was in a state. The vet (who happens to be my old vet who I am sure left the fragments in Clapton's mouth  >:( ) said it was an old injury and nothing could be done - I believe she was given ABs but no improvement. The fosterer told Caroline that she wasn't happy and could she get a 2nd opinion. The other vet (my current vet and the one who cared for Clapton at the end) asked if he could try something. He took some blood and spun it. He added the white blood cells to AB eye drops so her body wouldn't reject it. There was a major improvement. I didn't see the cat but Caroline said there is a lot to be said for younger vets who are open to try newer techniques. The other vet is close to retirement and very old-school  :tired:

Link to CatChat