Author Topic: Aggressive cat - need help  (Read 2025 times)

Offline Susieh

• Adult Cat
Re: Aggressive cat - need help
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2007, 22:32:50 PM »
My youngest cat is nearly 2 and he is also a bully with my other 2 cats.  He is very physical with them and makes them hiss and the female squeals when he jumps on her.  I basically have a water spray handy and give him a squirt when he gets too much.  I usually just have to say his name and he backs off because he knows the spray will follow if he doesn't stop. He did definitely calm down a bit when he was neutered and allowed outside at about 6-7 months, but he is still a monkey sometimes.

Fortunately the other 2 cat just stay out of his way when he is in one of his naughty moods and get somewhere high where he can't reach them easily.  I don't think it has a detrimental effect on their lives really because it isn't all the time, and occasionally one of them starts the chasing and playfighting so I know that they don't hate him all of the time.  He is just like an annoying little brother.  He is finally starting to sleep a bit more which helps because his energy levels are more matched to the other two and they generally co-exist reasonably harmoniously.  They certainly don't all ever cuddle up together though :(

Offline Debbie

• Senior Cat
  • Sam - missing since 29th August 2007 xx
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2007, 22:42:40 PM »
A few years back I had a big male cat that was a fighter with cats but as daft as a brush with humans.  We got him a little playmate - a female cat and they used to playfight.  I was always concerned he was too rough with her as he used to wrestle with her and leap on top of her literally squeezing all the breath out of her.  She used to make funny squeaks and yelps when he got too rough.  I think sometimes she used to harass him too much so it was a warning to leave him alone.

I understand your concern but think you would be able to tell the difference between playfighting and real fights - real are far more scarier to the observer!!!  As others have said, they sound like buddies   :cuddle:

Offline Fauna

• Kitten
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2007, 22:16:07 PM »
Mylo actually *loves* him!  I suppose that is my answer.  He brushes up against him and does this funny little head nod which means 'groom me, groom me!' and Mickey does, reluctantly.  I suppose it must be play fighting, it just seems so awful and the noises Mylo makes are terrible, but then he is a noisy kind of cat anyway.  I was worried the other day because Mylo had a tiny cut on his face which I assumed was from their fighting but it is the only thing I have noticed in all this time. 

I will get the Feliway to see if it calms Mickey down at all, it is worth a go.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2007, 18:31:29 PM »
I do hope that the fighting between the two is more fun than real fighting and the answer to the question below may tell you.

I have two birmans that dont get on well with my other cats but I have seen my two big cats sorta play fight.

Franta birman will bite me when I am stroking  him and aslo when I am not, I think he thinks he is being nice!! Ducha birman also will hav a nip and has broken the skin but I dont think they really mean it.

It maybe your friend was doing something that your cat did not like and he gave her a bite to stop her. Cats often give a warning to stop and if its not noticed they will then defend themselves with a bite or a scratch.

believe me you are not the only one with dysfuntional cats  :rofl: :rofl:

Becca your post made me laugh about you defending your friends guide dog, I know I shouldnt have but the image was so funny  ;D

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2007, 17:21:55 PM »
If Mylo is scared of him then you could put a bell on a safety collar so he knows where the bully is, but it sounds like Mylo actually quite likes him!

You could consult a behaviourist, i would try this if i was in situation where rehoming was becomming an option.

The feliway is cheapest from vetuk, i spent a small fortune on it and it does seem to help. Rescue remedy is good, you can buy in larger tesco stores, if hes on any meds check with your vet, antibiotics such as metronidazole do not mix with the alcohol base!

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2007, 16:44:30 PM »
yes from your last post fauna mickey doesnt actually sound "quite" so bad if he lets you and enjoys a stroke even if it is on his own terms but there are many cats like that
as rosella said mylo must actually like him quite a bit and if we think about animals in the wild there is always a pecking order and those down the ranks are often what we see as bullied but they accept where their place is in their family group.

Hopefully things will improve abit with feliway though  ;D

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007, 16:35:36 PM »
Has Mickey ever actually hurt Milo? I'm thinking of cuts, scratches, abscesses and the like.  If not, I'm just wondering whether the fights look worse than they are? I take it they have been together now for 18 months, is that right? which is a long time to be fighting aggressively if no one's been hurt.

"Mylo is very friendly and likes to trot around after him and cuddle up to him" 

Aaaww.. Sounds like Mylo would miss his pal even though he is a bit rough.  Sorry don't mean to say there's no problem but someone's gotta stick up for Mickey

"Trust me to have dysfunctional animals."  Don't sweat it just join the club! 

Offline Fauna

• Kitten
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 13:04:03 PM »
Thanks everyone.  He was way too young to be taken away from his Mum, only 5 weeks old when we got him so I know this is why he is like he is.  Poor baby. 

He's a lovely boy generally.  A bit grumpy, doesn't like being handled much, has never sat on my lap but does like to be stroked and purrs a lot.  He will be purring away happily and just give you a nibble, not even aggressively, just like he is confused and thinks it is affection.  I think he just likes his own space really.  I will give the feliway a try.  Also thought about getting another cat bed, he rejects most of them but if he has somewhere just for him it might help a bit.  I am pretty sure he is just an anti-social fella and Mylo is very friendly and likes to trot around after him and cuddle up to him, I think it would annoy me!

Trust me to have dysfunctional animals. 

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 08:52:29 AM »
very occasionally i have known of cats to sometimes just be of an aggressive nature and not much can be done.

How old was he when he was separated from his mother/siblings ? there is evidence to suggest being taken a way too young can lead to antisocial behaviour, of course that doesnt help your now predicament but may identify a cause. 

I'd get several "feliway diffusers" and get them going all over your house (removing normal perfumed air fresheners as they will inhibit the feliway)

what about some of the herbal stuff people use on their cats, ive heard some folks on here use rescue remedy or something but check with them first as i dont know much about alternitive medicines.

how is he when he isnt attacking ?? is he ever friendly to the other cat or yourselves ?  as others have said it may turn out it will be best for the timid one to have a chance of a peaceful life but i'd try some of the other suggestions first.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 08:36:26 AM »
I really can't bear to split them up

If things do not work out after trying all the suggestions then sometimes although it is not what we want, :( it is necessary to do what is in the little ones interest and not our own.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 23:19:52 PM »
Yep, definately check out Wizzs site - she gives brilliant advice. :)

As for not wanting to split them up, in some cases it's the fairest thing to do. I can't imagine it's fun for Mylo - sorry if that sounds harsh.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 20:59:40 PM »
have a look at wizzs advice:

http://wizz-catz.co.uk/behavioural.html
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Beccles

• Distinguished Cat
  • Daphne and Elettra born 18.06.06, Figaro 23.08.07
    • My weblog: Comprehension Dawns
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 20:18:40 PM »
Hiya...

one thought would be to check that Mickey really is fully neutered - I have heard of girl cats getting a bit of ovary left in there and that causing hormone issues etc.

Otherwise... sheesh, I really don't know actually. You have my sympathy - I've got an elderly black moggy that fancies himself a tiger and will actively seek out dogs to fight with... I had to defend a friend and her guide dog from him the other week, which was absolutely mortifying.
Spaying and neutering saves lives.
Nobody has a right to own a cat. It's a privilege.

Offline Fauna

• Kitten
Aggressive cat - need help
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 20:06:43 PM »
Hello

I'm really hoping someone can give me some advice.  Mickey was an aggressive kitten and the vet advised to get another cat in an attempt to calm him down, so when Mickey was about 6 months old we got Mylo, who was 12 weeks when he came to us.  They fought from the word go and have barely stopped.  Poor Mylo is quite timid and he does fight back but normally ends up squealing and being bullied by Mickey  :(.  It is really upsetting.

Sometimes it is like a Tom and Jerry cartoon with the pair of them tearing about the place.  I thought Mickey might grow out of it but he is two now and is a tiny bit calmer but not much.  He just gets a look in his eye and then he attacks, it used to be me and now it is poor Mylo.  When a friend looked after them when we were away Mickey bit her on the nose!  He is fearless, loud noises and water pistols don't stop him.  If there is a cat fight on the street you can guarantee Mickey will be in the middle of it. 

He was neutered as a kitten.  I really can't bear to split them up but I hate seeing Mylo getting beaten up all the time.

What can I try?

Link to CatChat