Author Topic: Advise with cereal/grain free sachets please  (Read 7598 times)

Offline Pinball

• Adult Cat
Re: Advise with cereal/grain free sachets please
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2010, 12:08:36 PM »
Daisy is intollerant of cereal/grain and has been eating Royal Canin wet/ dry sensitive. Want to continue with R.C.dry but find cheaper wet food that is free of cereals/grains, have so far found the new Whiskas simply fits the bill or at least think its that one  anyone know of any others free of grain /cereal preferably Whiskas/Felix not classic.
This is not simply an economising job, Daisy is currently feeding her kitten Mac and when he begins sampling mums solid food in a week or two I would prefer it to be a non prescription one.

You say that Daisy is cereal/grain intolerant, but she does well on RC Sensitivity control, which contains rice and soya oil. Got to love RC really, the reason they include rice is:  "'[the fish and] rice reduce the risk of allergic reaction because they are rarely used in feline food preparations and are highly digestible". Eek, so much cat food, particularly dry cat food, contains rice - lots of it too - so it is hardly hardly ever used!

Anyhow, can you be more specific in what cereals are causing a problem? Is it wheat? Soya? Any idea?

You could look into orijen and applaws dry foods as they don't contain any grains. At least applaws should be fairly easily picked up from P@H, orijen is most easily available online (though a few pet shops stock it).

Re wet - how about purely scrummy yummy or the more general purely range? There is also Hilife that is easily available and nature's menu - all of which can be had in p@h. 

Offline paddypaws

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 16:30:23 PM »
http://www.petforums.co.uk/cat-health-nutrition/112132-z-wet-food-cats.html

Have a look at this list and see if it gives you any more ideas. After Paddy was diagnosed with Diabetes I really had to hunt round for low carb wet food and have found Bozita tins to be one of the best. I know you want to provide sipermarket options...but giving the information to the new owner may be a good idea. :shy:

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 08:42:55 AM »
Definately food for thought.  :thanks:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 08:17:50 AM »
Tesco's own brand also doesn't seem to have cereals in it.
Please spay your cat

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 23:41:48 PM »
What about Feline Fayre as you are feeding a complete dry in addition? A box of eight pouches is currently £1 in Home Bargains, B&M and Asda, large 400g tins are 30p to 60p in the same three shops.

Or there is Tesco Luxury which is £4 for a box of 12 pouches when not on offer. Or Pets at Home Purely which is complete: the 160g tins are 47p but regularly on offer at 40p each. The Luxury and Purely both contain a very small amount of tapioca, but the RC does contain rice so I am assuming Daisy is not intolerant to all grains? Noah seems to struggle to process high grain foods as it makes his poop :sick: (and got itchy on RC) but he is fine with these brands.
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 13:15:29 PM »
Thanks Desley

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 12:48:46 PM »
Classic pouches should have no cereal in, and are easily bought in PAH/Morrisons/Tesco - slightly cheaper than Felix etc at £3.08 (well, they were in my Morrisons on Tues). Morrisons own brand doesn't contain any either, neither does Felix Poultry pouches (dont know about the others, that is the only box near me).
Please spay your cat

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 10:29:28 AM »
Thanks Janey/ Helen, may try Bozita but as Daisy and her son Mac will be up for rehoming I feel it is fairer if I find easily bought shop ones like Whiskas, ones a new owner can source easily so that there will not need to be any dietry change.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 09:49:46 AM »
I think Bozita fits the bill perfectly  ;D

Here's the ingredients of the minced chicken one for example - http://www.bozita.com/en/Feline/Productgroups/Bozita-Feline-tetra/Minced-Chicken/

It's high meat content (70-90% depending on flavour - the first percentage you see is the percentage of the main flavour, not total meat content), grain free, no artificial colours, flavourings or preservatives.

As a bonus it is great value, the cartons are the equivalent to just short of 4 pouches (370g) and cost £1 each, so the equivalent of 27p per 100g (ie a pouch) which makes it cheaper than Felix/Whiskas at regular prices  ;D

R&L pet products let you order 1 of each individual flavour to try although with a small order you do have to pay p&p which is £3.50, for 'bulk' orders over the phone, 48 cartons or more, they reduce the price to 89p a carton so that works out to 24 per 100g ie per pouch.

http://www.rlpetproducts.co.uk/store/cats/food

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 09:32:43 AM »
I think Whiskas Supermeat is

eta: sorry just realised it's in tins not sachets,  if that's important
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 09:40:16 AM by Janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
Advise with cereal/grain free sachets please
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 09:28:21 AM »
Daisy is intollerant of cereal/grain and has been eating Royal Canin wet/ dry sensitive. Want to continue with R.C.dry but find cheaper wet food that is free of cereals/grains, have so far found the new Whiskas simply fits the bill or at least think its that one  anyone know of any others free of grain /cereal preferably Whiskas/Felix not classic.
This is not simply an economising job, Daisy is currently feeding her kitten Mac and when he begins sampling mums solid food in a week or two I would prefer it to be a non prescription one.

Link to CatChat