Author Topic: Anyone else's kitten get out of breath after tearing around?  (Read 8979 times)

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
Re: Anyone else's kitten get out of breath after tearing around?
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 06:45:06 AM »
Gizzy does it after a session wioth the laser toy - and then  gets back up for another go! :innocent:

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 18:33:50 PM »
Raffiki used to do it when he was younger - quick check up and he got the all clear so I shouldnt worry too much x
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 12:39:28 PM »
It's perfectly normal for some kittens.  Cats aren't designed for sustained running so when they get a bit exuberant it can result in panting.  Jaffa panted when he was a kitten and i bought a cat dancer toy.  He raced up and down the room so fast.  His brother Magpie never did it but he never exerted himself quite so much.   Mosi was like Jaffa as a kitten and still does it sometimes when he's been chasing a toy up and down the room several times.  I wouldn't worry as long as it's only after he's been running around.

Offline angeleyes

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 23:34:17 PM »
Cats don't usually pant like dogs and panting can be a sign of heart issues BUT if it is happening after heavy exertion and she is looking alert, not in any distress and her tongue is nice and pink/red when she is panting then I wouldn't be worried. If you are in the slightest bit concerned then off to the vets  :hug:

When Riley was a few months old I bought them a 'da bird' - it cost around £600 in vets bills as he would go mental playing with it and would stop and pant. Cue vet examination, an X-ray, an ECG, ultrasounds and a blood test - verdict - he was running round like a loon and had worn himself out  :evillaugh:  I showed the cardiologist a video of him panting (after he had been diagnosed fit as a fiddle, they couldn't get the photobucket link to work so had to wait til I saw him in person to show him it on my phone!) and he said that if he panted after heavy exertion, as long as he was alert, looking around, not in any distress and his tongue was nice and pink then it was nothing to worry about.

Thank you.
Yes she is alret, looking around and has a pink tongue, she is sometimes still running around with her tongue hanging out  :shocked: she does not know when to stop thats why i shut her in another room if she gets too much, if she was human i would say she had ADHD!
www.animalrescueandcare.org.uk

Owned by 7 rabbits and a 2 cats

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 23:17:33 PM »
Cats don't usually pant like dogs and panting can be a sign of heart issues BUT if it is happening after heavy exertion and she is looking alert, not in any distress and her tongue is nice and pink/red when she is panting then I wouldn't be worried. If you are in the slightest bit concerned then off to the vets  :hug:

When Riley was a few months old I bought them a 'da bird' - it cost around £600 in vets bills as he would go mental playing with it and would stop and pant. Cue vet examination, an X-ray, an ECG, ultrasounds and a blood test - verdict - he was running round like a loon and had worn himself out  :evillaugh:  I showed the cardiologist a video of him panting (after he had been diagnosed fit as a fiddle, they couldn't get the photobucket link to work so had to wait til I saw him in person to show him it on my phone!) and he said that if he panted after heavy exertion, as long as he was alert, looking around, not in any distress and his tongue was nice and pink then it was nothing to worry about.

Offline angeleyes

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 22:54:23 PM »
It's totally normal.  Kittens and cats sometimes put 100% effort into rushing about and will just  wear themselves out.  I wouldn't worry about as long as she has a fast receovery rate ... unually the panting will only last for a minute of so.  If she appears to be panting for prolonged periods of time or not following vigerous exercise then it might be worht asking the vet to give her a quick check up.

Hope this help  :hug:

Thank you, she only does it for maybe 30 seconds after she has been running around, i was only concerned because our other cat has never done this but i did remind the OH that other cat is very lazy and does not move half as fast or as often as Lila!

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 22:51:37 PM »
It's totally normal.  Kittens and cats sometimes put 100% effort into rushing about and will just  wear themselves out.  I wouldn't worry about as long as she has a fast receovery rate ... unually the panting will only last for a minute of so.  If she appears to be panting for prolonged periods of time or not following vigerous exercise then it might be worht asking the vet to give her a quick check up.

Hope this help  :hug:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline angeleyes

• Adult Cat
Anyone else's kitten get out of breath after tearing around?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 21:31:37 PM »
Not sure wether to be worried or not, the last week or so since it has got really hot Lila pants a little after running around like a loon for a while, is this normal or should i get her to the vet?
She is mad she literally doesn't stop, its constant zooming around, when she starts panting i shut her in a quiet room in her bed for a while to calm down, as if she is not on her own she doesn't keep still, ants in her pants this one! This is the only time she is doing it and only just recently.

Link to CatChat