Author Topic: Anyone have experience using infra-red for joint issues? - Alice modelling bed  (Read 2787 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
I am convinced it is helping her. SHe allowed me to give her a deep groom tonight. Although her fur looks smooth on top, it is clumped underneath. I got a slicka (sold under another name by vetUK) which is really hard. I was getting handfuls of fur out while she was purring. Only when I got  bit over confident did she try to nip me - it was the dodgy haunch. Also she has decided for the first time in a while to sleep on a big squashy bed with a dog matress on top. I hope it doesn't make her sore - atm she is purring like a tractor and looking very contented  :Luv2:
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 00:37:38 AM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Not sure if this is coincidence, but this morning, for the first time this year, she marched out into the garden and has settled herself out there.  :) - we have had other much warmer days when she has just stayed huddled up in her bed. It gave me a chance to pull the sofa out and hoover/clean behind it, strip the cover off (the advantage of a Ikea sofa  :evillaugh: ) which is washing right now, clean the skirting & floor behind the sofa, take the dog mattresses out of the window (which are next in the machine) and clean that area  ;D - she is scared of the vacuum/broom/ carpet sweeper etc etc so I have to make the most of opportunities. I really hope this is helping her. Another thing is I saw her last night doubled over in the bed grooming the area that is usually sore (her left haunch) that she won't normally groom or let me near. Those 2 things point to her having some relief?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 11:04:59 AM by Mark »

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Yes, it clearly says you can put your cat's own blanket over it. It also comes with its own fleece to cover it. I think it is because it is quite sophisticated compared to a lot others so the heat doesn't build up. You set the temperature yourself and it maintains the heat. When you first turn it on, it comes up with the room temperature. You can also choose number of hours or constant. They recommend 44 as optimum therapeutic temp, but say you can turn it up in the winter if you want.

The same company also makes various items for humans - this is the importers site. Strangely, they don't sell the pet ones direct.

It does say if pet is immobile for long periods to check its skin for signs of burning  :scared: - I think they are being overcautious as it doen't feel hot compared to what the average cat likes  :evillaugh:

http://www.steadfastcorp.com/thermot.html
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 08:41:30 AM by Mark »

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Mark, do the instructions not say anything about covering it? The heat pad the girls have cant' have anything on top of.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
The 'small' bed arrived yesterday - it is plenty big enough (Kylie would be comfortable in it!). Really annoying as had I ordered a small in the first place from the company that priced them wrongly, I could have saved £60. She took straight to it  :)

Lets just hope it helps her stiff joints  :Luv2: - she seems to like the heat anyway. I have it set at 46o

Really expensive for a bed but if it helps her...

« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 08:25:44 AM by Mark »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Re: Anyone have experience using infra-red for joint issues?
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2010, 17:16:12 PM »
They sent me an email today saying they have received the large bed back and that when I ordered the small. It was listed wrongly on their website. It should have been £149.99+ vat rather than £95+ vat. They said they have credited for the large bed that I returned which was also priced wrongly  >:( - they said I need to pay them £39.99+ vat plus £5.99+vat delivery and they will send me a small bed. I have just emailed them saying, their new price isn't the cheapest online price - which was the only reason I originally ordered from them! - I have asked for a refund and I will order it from the cheaper place  :Crazy: - I am getting really peed off with online sellers.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2010, 20:13:25 PM »
OK - this is getting a bit complicated so bear with me. Remember I said the same company run 2 sites. One of the site's prices are much higher than the other. I ordered the large one from the cheaper site which was too large. I then ordered the small. I got an email today saying their supplier is out of stock of the item I ordered; would I like to order something else or cancel. I did wonder if they had twigged about the price difference on their sites. I replied that I would cancel as I had ordered the large last week but it is much too big for my arthritic cat. I got a reply, saying they have the small in stock and would I like to exchange the large for the small  :shify:

I am happy to swap, although they were obviously telling porkies about it being out of stock. It isn't in my interest to make a big deal out of it - I will phone her tomorrow.  :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 08:39:11 AM by Mark »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2010, 07:50:39 AM »
I really hope so  :Crazy:

Annoyingly, I used a tape measure before ordering the first ones but didn't allow for the edging. Also the measurements are a tiny bit bigger than stated - not enough to split hairs and use it as an excuse to return the bed. I feel such an idiot and hate wasting money. Hopefully someone on Amazon will want it  :evillaugh:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2010, 19:02:42 PM »
Lets hope the second one fits!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2010, 21:27:49 PM »
I picked it up from next door this morning. All I can say is that it was a HUGE mistake. It is definitely dog sized  :shy: - although I had checked the measurements before ordering, the sizes are for the internal area and a tad bigger than stated. Also the heat pad area is the same whether you order large or small so in this case, the heated area only takes up 1/3rd of the bed. I explained to OH who said do what I need to do - so the bottom line is I have now ordered a small one. I will have to decide what to do with the big one - eBay maybe  :evillaugh: - it is quite sophisticated. It tells you the ambient temperature of the room when you turn it on and you set and lock the temperature you want it to stay at. You can choose number of hours or constant.

I have listed the large one on Amazon Marketplace.  :shify:
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 11:10:24 AM by Mark »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2010, 17:50:18 PM »
It has been delivered to the gas showroom next door so she will have it tomorrow. Annoyingly, the driver had delivered OHs iPad & accessories there as well and then remembered he shouldn't have. He got them back and knocked at the door 5 minutes after I got home with OHs stuff.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 19:32:13 PM »
I'm hoping it comes early tomorrow as I am meeting my friend Sarah for lunch. The last thing I want is to have to pick it up from the vet next door  :evillaugh:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 12:34:54 PM »
Fingers crossed it works, I think its definitely worth a try  ;D

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 11:17:08 AM »
me too :)
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 10:01:11 AM »
 ;D hope it works for her

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 21:41:05 PM »
I got an email saying it has been shipped and will be here within 48hrs (I hope it comes tomorrow as I am meeting a friend for lunch on Friday). I will report back on if it seems to help. OH has a problem with his wrist and I have a lot of back & stomach pain. They do human versions for both of those, as well as other types so if it is any good, I will ask for the back one for my birthday  :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 21:41:48 PM by Mark »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 08:01:19 AM »
OH said I should order it today. I think it is really expensive, but if it does work, money well spent. What is quite annoying is the fact that they obviously use a generic IR pad in it. I looked at the instruction PDF and it says to NEVER use the high setting for pets. I don't think we have any choice other than to give it a go before resorting to Metacam.

I will have another quick look but I can't find it any cheaper than £164 delivered.

She is still insisting on having a heater on so hopefully it will save energy there!  :evillaugh:

ETA - I searched by "infra red pet bed" rather than brand name and it came up here about £50 cheaper than other sites.  ;D
Rather odd but when I did PayPal checkout (which was a bonus  ;D ) instead of the company name I ordered from, it said CNM online which was one of the companies that sells them for £50 more  :Crazy:

As it was, I had to order the large as the small is tiny (11" x 13" internally) - I don't know what these companies base their measurements on but the small cat size orthopaedic heated bed I ordered for Alice before was too small so I had to order her a medium "small dog" one  :Crazy: - she isn't huge - just a regular sized moggy  :evillaugh:

Anyway, I am confident I wouldn't have found it any cheaper - most places charge £175 for small £185 for large (the heating pad is the same size, it is just the bed that is bigger) - on this link, they are £95 for small, £130 for large. I am 1/2 expecting a call later telling me there has been a mistake  :shify:

http://www.prestigeradiators.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=infrared&x=0&y=0

Very odd but this is the same company - look how much more they charge for the same items  :Crazy:
http://www.cnmonline.co.uk/search.php?mode=search&page=1

I just got my Paypal receipt and it was from CNM online but for the Prestige radiators price  :Crazy: :evillaugh:
So after paying £5.49 delivery, I have saved £50.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 08:40:14 AM by Mark »

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 15:27:08 PM »
Iv not tried the IR or know anyone thats splashed out on it, would be interested to hear tho as gooey is in the same boat, although this warm weather has made a big difference to him  :Luv2:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Alice's legs are getting stiff again and her back "hip" is sore ( the only time she tells me off is if I touch or brush the area) - I know the next step is Metacam as I don't want her to be in pain. I have been looking at the Thermotex beds again. They also make versions of their infra-red for people. There are quite a few good testimonials ie "My 20 year old cat has started jumping on the furniture again" etc. If this will help her, I would rather that than her being on painkillers, although I will do whatever it takes to make her comfortable. I mentioned it to OH who said "buy it for her" - I then mentioned that the bed is £175 - OH said "I will have a look later"  :evillaugh: (I know she won't be denied it if it will help her)

The cheapest I can find it is £164 - which is OK if it works - any ideas?

http://www.easylifeuk.com/thermotex-infrared-small-p-1435.html

http://www.thermotex.com/pets/index.php
Looks like she may need the large one.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 08:20:00 AM by Mark »

Link to CatChat