Author Topic: Anyone recommend a sunblock for white cats please?  (Read 3449 times)

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
  • Miss Jasmine <3 (R.I.P Special girl)
Re: Anyone recommend a sunblock for white cats please?
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2010, 20:26:21 PM »
I definitely will from now on, thanks, Desley. I didn't even think about their noses. I've had cats nearly 4 years now and there's sooo much I still don't know

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2010, 07:53:13 AM »
Karen, I really would start putting it on their noses, it is not an easy place to deal with once there are problems.
Please spay your cat

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
  • Miss Jasmine <3 (R.I.P Special girl)
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2010, 20:35:53 PM »
I've never put anything on noses  :-: Tigger and Belle both have pink noses.

I use Tesco own brand factor 50 waterproof suncream on their ears.

Offline Shiroi-Neko

• Distinguished Cat
  • Ai-Chan & Tora
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2010, 20:31:59 PM »
I have been using childs boots own brand 50+ for Ai Chan's ears.
and nivia  lip sun protection for her nose

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2010, 20:27:31 PM »
A 6 month check up would be fine, many cats go yearly for boosters and suffer no cosequences.
His ear will develop very slowly, hes out the sun now which is good. I wouldnt think they would remove the ear before it causes a problem as its not a 'bad' cancer as such, in that it doesnt spread to other body areas unless left for a very long time.

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2010, 01:50:20 AM »
FF they wont want to remove an ear just yet, the black 'bits' are early stage, il try to find a pic of gooeys ear damage for you so you can see how it looks when its turned.  :( the ear itself gets red and scaly, his had gone right down the edge of the ear to that little pocket bit they have.

:thanks: for the photos, poor Gooey. Yes the little black scab looks like that and maybe there is another pinhead size bit coming right on the edge, no redness or scaling and he isn't scratching them. Poor boy he will have to have an operation one day, I don't think he will want to wear a lampshade!!  :( Wouldn't it be better to whip the affected part off earlier or is that not effective?

Desley: I don't have a fixed date to take Noah for his next check-up as he cannot have any vaccinations. At the moment I am trying to cut his claws whilst he is asleep, if that doesn't work he will have to be done by the vet nurse. I will obviously take him to the vet if I need to just try to avoid it as, like most cats, he cries pitifully.  :shy: I am on benefits but we are insured with AXA and would raid my savings if he needed anything. He last went to the vet in February and was pronounced very healthy - will six months be OK do you think?
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2010, 16:05:39 PM »
I have ordered the one on Marks link from Pet remedies - it was one i had looked at earlier.
Should be here in a couple of days - mindst you its not sunny here today .

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2010, 11:40:02 AM »
FF they wont want to remove an ear just yet, the black 'bits' are early stage, il try to find a pic of gooeys ear damage for you so you can see how it looks when its turned.  :( the ear itself gets red and scaly, his had gone right down the edge of the ear to that little pocket bit they have.

I saw that on CC too desley, theres no salicylic ingredients in the tesco one iv got  :shify:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2010, 07:58:43 AM »
When is his next check up?

I have just read this on CatChat, thought I shoudl share.

I bought some Tesco SPF50 Baby Sun Protection to put on their ears and noses then made the mistake of looking on t'internet.

Apparently products with salicylate are harmful for cats (salicylate is an ingredient of aspirin).
Please spay your cat

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2010, 22:03:18 PM »
I can't recommend a sun block, but if you do have cats with white fur on their ears I do recommend you give the sun block a go.  I grew up with four cats who had white ears, and three of them got skin cancer.  It was like a dry scab on the end of their ears and can easily be removed and kept coming back so 3/4 operations were in order, causing virtually earless cats!!  They were happy though.

Noah has a scab like that on his ear and he is pure white ....   :( I showed the scab to the vet in February, but the vet just picked it off and never seemed bothered. Should I take Noah back to the vet or just wait for his next check-up? The scab is not right on the tip, half a centimetre from the edge and never seems to get any bigger. Presumably it is a general anaesthetic?  :scared: Noah is indoor now so no sun exposure but was a stray so obviously has been outside.
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2010, 10:00:08 AM »
I'm not entirely sure where he is. He gave me a cuddle this morning (as did Astryd; Sage acknowledged me by glancing up at me in a disinterested way and Mog's asleep upstairs) and then wandered off. When I see him next I'll ambush him before it hits peak sun time.

Bunglycat, thanks for starting this thread! I didn't know the Little Man needed block on his nose too.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2010, 07:52:42 AM »
If he has any white on his nose, or the fur is very thin, yes. Pebbles had pre-cancerous scabs on her nose, steroids did keep it at bay, but as MM says, it isn't very easy to treat on the nose, so prevention is much better.
MM, my pet one is in a pump applicator, i just put enough on my fingers before I go near the cat, so the noise doesn't bother them.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2010, 22:57:25 PM »
Also i have been told Cantharis is a homopathic remedy to help with cystitis - anyone tried or used it ?

I havent tried it, but the breeders of my Gwynnie have used cantharis for cystitis and they had success with it apparently.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2010, 21:15:17 PM »
Will Darwin need sunblock on his nose too? (Do I need to put on a pic?) His nose is a bit odd colour wise; it always looks dirty!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2010, 20:57:11 PM »
Noses are alot more difficult to treat, amputating ears is an easy op but the version for noses isnt good.
Gooey has lost his ears and has early stage black spots that appear on his nose  :( the worse thing is i cant do anything about it as the 11 years before he lived here has done the damage   :(

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2010, 20:27:36 PM »
He hasn''t got white ears -only a white nose .

Offline Lotzy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2010, 20:05:39 PM »
I can't recommend a sun block, but if you do have cats with white fur on their ears I do recommend you give the sun block a go.  I grew up with four cats who had white ears, and three of them got skin cancer.  It was like a dry scab on the end of their ears and can easily be removed and kept coming back so 3/4 operations were in order, causing virtually earless cats!!  They were happy though.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2010, 19:55:57 PM »
I use a fragrance free child 50+ sunblock, one that isnt really cheap will absorb quickly enough. The couple of pet ones iv looked at smell funny and are in a pump applicator  :Crazy:

I'm just using a kids sunblock on Darwins ear tip; will that be safe?

Imo it is

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 14:17:49 PM »
Thanks Mark -thats the same one i found and thought it looked good.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 10:26:29 AM »
I'm just using a kids sunblock on Darwins ear tip; will that be safe?

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 08:01:03 AM »
I use a pet suncream from Smylees, it is only about £5.99, and it does last a while. Pet suncream absorbs quicker than human suncream, giving them less time to lick it off.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 07:08:01 AM »
Lottie recommended one recently http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,31697.0.html

I have heard of people using E45 sunblock but not 100% sure if it is OK.

Edit - just googled and Chesterfield CP site says E45 Sunblock is OK - I'm sure it would be unscented.

Not sure about Cantharis though - I see Denes sell one http://www.denes.co.uk/health/homeopathic_pet_remedies.php
Personally, I would be wary of trying something when a cat is in pain that may or may not help - maybe Gillian knows about it.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 07:20:12 AM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
Anyone recommend a sunblock for white cats please?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 00:11:11 AM »
Winston is red and white as you all know -but i think i need to put some sun block on his nose as its white and he does like to lie in the sun -although i do move him into the shade !
Just to be on the safe side , can anyone recommend one they know or use please .
Thanks

There is one called pet screen on pet remedies site - but never used them before .

Also i have been told Cantharis is a homopathic remedy to help with cystitis - anyone tried or used it ?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 00:13:14 AM by bunglycat »

Link to CatChat