Author Topic: Cystease tablets - is there an easy way to break them open?  (Read 1770 times)

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: Cystease tablets - is there an easy way to break them open?
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 08:30:32 AM »
I think I've got the knack now.  It's not terribly easy and sometimes I make a complete pig's ear of it, but I've abandoned the knife stabbing!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 19:23:57 PM »
Iv never had a problem pulling them or any capsule apart, cystease seem abit fuller than zylkene, maybe try holding them harder when twisting?

Offline BevBunny

• Kitten
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 11:28:00 AM »
well I struggle to pull them apart - that's the problem!  Am I doing something wrong?  I've tried pulling them apart and twisting them, but they dont' seem to come apart easily so I usually resort to stabbling them with a knife to get the powder out.

Oh I see, sorry I misunderstood slightly. I sort of stick my nails in the end as I pull and twist them apart, it doesn't matter if you squish the ends a bit the powder stills comes out. I make sure I haven't just put moisteriser on my hands tho, as then it becomes impossible! I did once cut the end off with a pair if nail scissors and that seemed to work on too. Persevere, cos I'm sure its nicer for the cat than making them eat it whole!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 10:58:08 AM »
well I struggle to pull them apart - that's the problem!  Am I doing something wrong?  I've tried pulling them apart and twisting them, but they dont' seem to come apart easily so I usually resort to stabbling them with a knife to get the powder out.

Offline BevBunny

• Kitten
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 23:51:17 PM »
I've been giving my rabbits cystaid on one meal a day for almost 10 years, its really easy to just pull the capsule apart and sprinkle the powder onto their food - can't you just do the same for you cats?

I've always had either the cystaid and or cystease brands and it works fine with both of these - the latter is much better value for money (I think I got the last lot form VetUK).

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 16:36:28 PM »
Im afraid I stick them in Ambers mouth and she tends to swallow them, then I give her food. I did find that if I put them down in front of her she picked them up and chewed them but didnt swallow them unless I actually put them in her mouth. I am really careful now to stick them too far down her throat though as she gulps if I do that and I worry about hurting her.
love
Tab

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 14:42:42 PM »
I just pull them apart too, they are a little fiddly, I think this is because they are smaller than zylkene ones.

I used to cut them with scissors but was getting in a right mess with them and spilling it everywhere.

Offline Lottie (Team Svartalfheim's)

• Distinguished Cat
  • GB* Svartalfheim's Sunset Boulevard
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest cats
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 13:50:19 PM »
I think I just twisted them apart when Pinball had them.
Feel free to visit the Team at www.svartalfheim.co.uk

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Cystease tablets - is there an easy way to break them open?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 13:27:49 PM »
I tend to stab at them with a knife to break open the capsule and as long as stab it thoroughly, I can then usually twist it apart and empty the contents of both halves into the food.  But it is a bit of a faff.  With the zylkene I just twist it and it comes apart - no stabbing involved!  Am I missing a trick?

Link to CatChat