Author Topic: Are We Killing Our Pets??  (Read 3377 times)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
Re: Are We Killing Our Pets??
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2010, 16:30:48 PM »
sometimes I even mix 2 or 3 different varieties or brands in 1 bowl. They love it as no two meals are the same.  :evillaugh:

I do that too sometimes! I was mixing my last few packs of Bozita with good old Butchers Classic to eke it out a bit until the next delivery - didnt seem to both them and they quite like Classic for a change anyway. I don't usually mix anything with the raw though.

Offline AliCat

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Tachi and Akamaru.
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2010, 14:35:34 PM »
I imagine there is a bit of scaremongering afoot and I am not inclined to believe it's been overly well-researched.

In the Daily Mail? Never!  :rofl:

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2010, 12:54:36 PM »
I didn't say we shouldn't eat a diet closer to nature  :) I've done many nutrition courses and def not advocting junk food,  I rarely eat any -  but I don't think we need to eat the same types/quantities of food we have in the past because eg our lifestyles are different.  I've also heard many times that domestic cats live longer and cats do seem to longer these days although the reason may not necessarily be down to diet or diet alone.

I work in physical activity so I believe that it's the lifestyle more than the diet that needs amending! Western humans certainly need to eat less saturated fats than we did at one time, which automatically means a reduction in the overall calorie intake adjusting for a more sedentary working life (including domestic chores).  ;)
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2010, 07:26:55 AM »
I agree, I try to get mine to eat good food but I've got less strict over the years, at the end of the day I don't want them miseable.  We also have ferals who will eat only soft food, some who will only eat biscuits and some eating a mixture.  I also believe just like we don't eat or need to eat the diets we used to, cats too have evolved to eat differently. 

Humans DO need to eat a diet closer to nature, overeating and undernutrition is the causeof / leading contributor to the epidemic of many disease states we are experiencing in the Western world. Cats have not evolvedinto omnivores since the advent of commercial cat food, tho perhaps there is an element of natural selection - the oldest cat ever attained 38 years, which makes me wonder why many domestic moggies have relatively shot lifespans ...  :(

I didn't say we shouldn't eat a diet closer to nature  :) I've done many nutrition courses and def not advocting junk food,  I rarely eat any -  but I don't think we need to eat the same types/quantities of food we have in the past because eg our lifestyles are different.  I've also heard many times that domestic cats live longer and cats do seem to longer these days although the reason may not necessarily be down to diet or diet alone.

If you give a certain food too frequently they can become hooked on it and refuse anything else. We went through murder when mine got addicted to Felix Cod in Jelly.  :innocent: These days they get a mixture of stuff, sometimes I even mix 2 or 3 different varieties or brands in 1 bowl. They love it as no two meals are the same.  :evillaugh:

Yep, my cats get a good selection of different foods every day  ;D
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 07:42:48 AM by Janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2010, 23:39:11 PM »
Some of my past puds came down with kidney disease because of biscuits. Mind you that was years ago when the quality of food wasn't as good as now.  :tired: Even so, no way would I ever put a pud on a 100% dry diet ever again. I don't trust any of them. Not even the premium brands.  :shify: We use biscuits as an occasional alternative to a wet meal, maybe every other day. Once a week they get some fresh fish or chicken for a change as well.  ;)

If you give a certain food too frequently they can become hooked on it and refuse anything else. We went through murder when mine got addicted to Felix Cod in Jelly.  :innocent: These days they get a mixture of stuff, sometimes I even mix 2 or 3 different varieties or brands in 1 bowl. They love it as no two meals are the same.  :evillaugh:

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2010, 23:04:29 PM »
I agree, I try to get mine to eat good food but I've got less strict over the years, at the end of the day I don't want them miseable.  We also have ferals who will eat only soft food, some who will only eat biscuits and some eating a mixture.  I also believe just like we don't eat or need to eat the diets we used to, cats too have evolved to eat differently. 

Humans DO need to eat a diet closer to nature, overeating and undernutrition is the causeof / leading contributor to the epidemic of many disease states we are experiencing in the Western world. Cats have not evolvedinto omnivores since the advent of commercial cat food, tho perhaps there is an element of natural selection - the oldest cat ever attained 38 years, which makes me wonder why many domestic moggies have relatively shot lifespans ...  :(
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2010, 20:02:28 PM »
I am more fortunate than most we don't have alot left over with 46 mouths to feed - ours have both wet and dry available 24/7 including the outside crew of course they wallop the wet stuff and graze on the biscuits - we tried cheaper things than RC/Hills and couldn't get even the outside ferals to eat it so gave up trying although they do like the odd meal of Whiskas biscuits as well - the wet is whatever Zooplus has and of course the staples Whiskas and felix - we use 9/10 cans a day and 3kgs of biscuits and at the weekend they get a sachet tea depending whats on offer - 72 is one meal for our crew with biccies!

Our vets is quite competative they sell JWB, Burns (our lot won't eat any flavour but he dogs like the Pork and Potato one), and Hills and can get most stuff so sometimes weather dependant we order from the vet as its only 6 miles away and we can usually get out to get it where as some of the delivery drivers never quite make it due to the roads.

The only time all ours eat out of one bowl is the teatime scatter of meat of the human kind and then they are all the best of friends! :rofl:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2010, 18:41:34 PM »
The woman doesn't sound like a very responsible owner. I always question vets and doctors. No matter how good they are, they aren't magicians. I wonder if the cat was getting enough to drink. Also, it was quite possibly predisposed to whatever it was. Pet owners need to be a bit proactive. Too many people are always looking for someone else to blame for everything. I know I, and some others will add a splash of water to wet food if we think our cats aren't getting enough or buy a fountain.

I have tried virtually every food under the sun but always end up back with Whiskas & Felix - because they eat it. I keep trying others but don't have much luck. I compromise by tring to feed them decent dry to supplement.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 18:42:14 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2010, 18:24:48 PM »
I again, think we know most of this already! I personally feed a mainly wet diet (of a high quality) with dry as a little snack but to be honest, liike everything in the mail, I imagine there is a bit of scaremongering afoot and I am not inclined to believe it's been overly well-researched. It is afterall, the paper which prints that it wonders if ME is a makebelieve disease! ( >:( >:( >:() and then invites it's readers to take part in a poll on it!
I also think it's irrisponsible to show a photo of a dog and a cat eating from the same bowl and think that that in itself could cause a lot more problems than cheaper cat food brands.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2010, 18:15:22 PM »
Never come across that particular phenomenon in my household! food is never left for 'later' LOL - generally because it wouldnt be there later!  :evillaugh:

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2010, 18:14:11 PM »
Some cats don't eat their food in one go.

True, mine never eat their food in one go either, they get so much and often go back and nibble, mine seem full after so much and prefer to graze.  I think this way has helped Pepper gain weight too.

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2010, 18:05:25 PM »
Some cats don't eat their food in one go. Memphis gets 1 pouch a day, split over two meals - Breakfast and Dinner. If I don't leave his food down until it's gone then he just won't ever eat. It's not that he doesn't like it, he just has better things to do than eat.

He gets a few bedtime biscuits and there is NO way he'd cope without them, they are the highlight of his day. As for raw/homecooked - no chance. He wouldn't even entertain the idea. He's not fussy as I feed him what I know he likes and will eat, so there's never any wastage here.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2010, 17:44:51 PM »
and leaving raw food, or fresh cooked, or high quality canned food down for hours at a time is surely worse than leaving biscuits out

Leaving food down isnt ideal anyway - I'd never leave raw/fresh cooked/canned food down - and if I fed dry, I wouldnt leave that down all the time either (not that I would feed just dry  ;) now) - if you feed regular 'mealtimes' theres no need to leave food down. Cats don't need food available at all times - they wouldnt have it on tap out in the wild.

When I first had cats years ago (30 plus  :tired: ) there was just tinned food and very little choice - basically Whiskas Supermeat (no pouches in those days) and KiteKat, so thats what I fed - gradually dry biscuits were introduced - but they were just additional to sprinkle over the wet food - they werent 'complete' in those days. The petfood manufacterures decided well if dogs can have meat and biscuits, why not cats? Then the rot really set in and the dry food business grew out of all proportion and somewhere along the line we lost sight of the fact that cats are carnivores who need to derive moisture from their diet.

Offline Claire_smc

• Hero Cat
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2010, 17:36:07 PM »
Of course, I agree that if your cat only likes certain brands then they should be fed this as it's better than not eating or not enjoying what they eat. But I think what's important is that you're clearly thinking about what's best for your cat and trying to improve their diet, they're just being typical fussy felines  :). Most people don't even think about it and automatically feed their cats things like Go Cat, which is why the article was good because maybe people will stop and think, and do a little research. Like I said, ideally I'd like to feed Pepsi raw but judging from the success I've had with things like chicken wings and prawns, I don't think she'd be having any of it  :evillaugh: Then there's also the cost of course which a lot of people can't afford.

'I love my cats because I love my home, and after a while they become its visible soul'

'I have studied many philsophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior'

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 17:30:33 PM »

I think its far better for a cat to eat than not eat, go cat or whatever

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2010, 17:25:47 PM »

Even my vet says that. He says we can try to steer them in the right direction but at the end of the day, the most important thing is that they eat. I think the 4% is a misconception that I hear of all the time. the 4% only applies to the minimum amount of the meat of the named flavour - required by law. There is a lot more meat than that in cat food. That is why when you see a 2-flavoured food, ie rabbit & chicken, there is a minimum 4% of each flavour. Whiskas supermeat is all meat & meat byproducts.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2010, 17:17:06 PM »
My bloomin post replying to Liz has not posted..getting fed up with so many posts not posting! Cant be botered to write it again.

Any way agree with trigger cos mine will only eat certain things too and its useless buying loads of high quality good that sits in the draw uneaten at great expense.

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 15:36:04 PM »
that's it isn't it - I've umpteen brands but still have two who eat felix, one of eats whiskas and one who eats rc

Same here, Milo will eat anything, Jess however won't touch anything but felix.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 15:34:23 PM »
that's it isn't it - I've umpteen brands but still have two who eat felix, one of eats whiskas and one who eats rc

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 15:31:13 PM »
I'm ready to believe every word, and change my cats to raw food and high quality canned tomorrow

trouble is, I've tried it already more than once, and they won't even taste any of it

and leaving raw food, or fresh cooked, or high quality canned food down for hours at a time is surely worse than leaving biscuits out

horses and water,  and all that :tired:
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Claire_smc

• Hero Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 14:33:05 PM »
The thing is, I think there's a difference between living and living well. A person could eat nothing but McDonalds for the entirity of their life and live to 80, the same age as someone who eats a more healthy and balanced diet. Just because they're showing no outside signs of illness or disease doesn't mean it's actually good for them, it just means it's not bad for them. If I thought that there was a higher chance of Pepsi getting ill on one type of food over another, I wouldn't feed it. It might not definately happen, and there are lots of stories of cats living to ripe old ages and never getting ill from 'bad' food, but it can't be doing her any good either? I'd rather feed something which is as close to a cat's natural diet as possible.

I think it was a very interesting article, I'm surprised they ran it actually. A lot of people do automatically just feed their cat the cheapest most rubbishy food out there, I know that personally I started feeding Pepsi Whiskas pouches because I thought that they were a more expensive well-known brand, therefore better for her, but they're only 4% meat  :scared: Considering in the wild a cat's diet would be made up of nearly nothing but meat, it seems quite poor in comparison! Now I've done my research a bit, I'm going to use up what Whiskas I've got left and buy a high-meat wet food. I'm hoping to try and move onto raw, but Pepsi isn't convinced yet  :evillaugh: I think it's a bit annoying of them to try and put people off feeding a cat a raw home prepared diet though, by saying it's too difficult. As long as you do a bit of research I think it could be easy, especially with places like food4cats providing mixed packs with all of the components your cat needs.

'I love my cats because I love my home, and after a while they become its visible soul'

'I have studied many philsophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior'

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 13:57:41 PM »
I'm not convinced either - some of my feals wills till crunch the dog food despite having their own food!

Gill - vets supply food for cats and kittens of all ages including some prescription ones - ours does currently we still get a better deal but with the weather ours have had food from the vets as no deliveries would come up the track
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 12:57:17 PM »
I'm not conviced.

Having known cats that have lived to good old ages that have been feed on dry food only (and some on food as crap as Co-Cat)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 12:54:37 PM »
I dont think its telling us anything we didnt know but was horrified to see the cat and dog apparently eating the same food.

Food from the vets is not normally something that would be fed from kittenhood and afraid that lady should have joined Purrs!

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 12:45:33 PM »
Very interesting

Offline mervyn7451

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Daisy Fuzzlebug.
Are We Killing Our Pets??
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 11:36:12 AM »
Interesting article in The Daily Hate.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1244595/Is-food-youre-feeding-pet-killing--making-vet-rich.html

Is the pet food you are serving up killing your four-legged friend? (and making your vet rich)

By Alison Smith Squire
Last updated at 10:30 AM on 20th January 2010

Like millions of pet owners, Fiona MacMillan was anxious to do the very best for her cat. 'When I got my first kitten, Jaggers, I asked the vet for some advice on feeding, and when she directed me to a well-known brand of dried food, I was happy to take her professional advice,' she says.

'My vet said she gave it to her own cats and had never had any problems. I was delighted. It never smelled, I could tip some in Jaggers' bowl before I went out to work in the morning and leave it out all day without any fear that it would go off. And he loved it.'

Today, Fiona, 59, a former university librarian, bitterly regrets her decision to feed Jaggers on the convenience food. For when he was just seven, Jaggers was diagnosed with kidney disease. The same vet prescribed some more dried food, especially designed for cats with urinary problems.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1244595/Is-food-youre-feeding-pet-killing--making-vet-rich.html#ixzz0d9PhobjL
center]Please join the Purrs save a life draw - £2 a month is all it takes!
Help the rescues to help the cats in their care plus the chance to win £££  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,38217.0.html
[/center]
[img

Link to CatChat