Author Topic: Anyone had experience/knowlege of Feline Infectious Peritonitis  (Read 1261 times)

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
Re: Anyone had experience/knowlege of Feline Infectious Peritonitis
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 13:37:42 PM »
Please get them to check for toxoplasmosis as initially the symptoms are the same - We lost a Mum and 3 kittens to FIP and have the surviving kitten is a Corona carrier - the thing that sets of FIP

All paws crossed here for your wee one :hug:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 13:25:25 PM »
I agree with Gill, vets are often too quick to mention the possibility of FIP, so try not to worry too much. Has your vet said he wants to do tests? Don't forget that even if Louis tests positive for coronavirus it doesnt mean he will develop FIP.

My Gwynnie was very ill when she was about 6months old and tested positive with coronavirus titres of 2,500 and my vet was pretty sure it was FIP (she also had other symptoms, sneezing, diarrhea, and lost the use of back legs - although that might not have been connected, we'll never really know) - anyway, she's two and half years old now and as healthy as they come!

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 13:15:49 PM »
Sending little Louis a hug and lots of get well wishes  :hug: xx
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 13:00:17 PM »
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 13:03:29 PM by Sam (Fussy_Furball) »
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 13:00:00 PM »
Look in health and behavior behind out Links at the top of the page and all the info is there......I know little except there are two types wet and dry and have been reading it this morning.

Both are still killers and hard to diagnose in the early stages but then in wet things progress very fast.

Please read the info up there cos its the best there is out on the web as Kate Addie is an expert.

Vets often start to mention this when they dont know what they are dealing with but there are a number of peeps on Purrs who have had cats succomb to the terrible disease and hope you will not be another one  :hug: :hug:

Offline LittleLijah

• Senior Cat
Anyone had experience/knowlege of Feline Infectious Peritonitis
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 12:47:54 PM »
Just wondering if anyone has any info on Feline Infectious Peritonitis? I've been looking on the internet (probably not a good idea) after Louis had a "funny turn" and he is now sneezing and he seems to have some of the symptoms. The vet did mention that his abdomen was a bit swollen when we took him in after his turn and it could be a sign of something incurrable but I couldn't remember what it was that he'd said but it did sound like this.

Link to CatChat