Author Topic: Alice is a little bit sniffly - should I let it takes its course?  (Read 2139 times)

Offline puggy1975 Zoe

• Hero Cat
  • Tyler and Ollie
Re: Alice is a little bit sniffly - should I let it takes its course?
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2010, 19:23:28 PM »
My Grandma did that to (god bless her)  I have bowls of water around the house to stop the dryness as this time of year when the heating is on full blast most of the time as Tyler complains when she does not have enough heat

i get respitory infections a lot and sneeze loads and having the bowls of water atops the dryness in the air.
Zoe, Ollie and Tyler

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2010, 19:04:03 PM »
Yes we have one central heating rad in the room and the wood burner or the oil-free heater. There is a drinkwell next to it so hopefully that helps. My Grandma used to keep a bowl of water under her electric fire  :scared:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline woodlandcats

• Hero Cat
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2010, 19:02:58 PM »
Mark, if she's eating and acts normally, don't bother, if not, read about Noa.
Every life should have 9 cats

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 18:24:30 PM »
I don't know whether its true for cats but a dry atmosphere can cause or increase sneezing in humans.  Presumably, like everyone else, you have had more heat than usual pumping into your house and less fresh air during this cold spell so it could just be that.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 17:53:39 PM »
She had a couple of little sneezes this morning but seems pretty bright. She is eating fine and had a little walk around the room scent marking (luckily just with her face  :evillaugh: ) before going back to sleep for the day - the others have all slept all day as well  :) - I am beginning to wonder if canip makes her sneeze. I have a new cushion in my vetuk order so I will see if it starts her off.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Millies mum

• Senior Cat
  • ice baby
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 13:55:48 PM »
How's Alice today Mark? i was wondering if there was something going round as my sisters cats all had the sneezes last week but they never go out of the house so maybe it's the cold!
mind you my tabby boy has always got a dripping nose for some reason when he stands and paws on you for a cuddle his nose drips  :Crazy:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 15:12:46 PM »
Aw bless her, she looks ever so comfy and warm!  :Luv2: :Luv2:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 11:58:34 AM »
She hasn't had any drips although she has sneezed a couple of times  - hopefully she is OK now. She has been recuperating in front of the fire  :Luv2: + I bought a huge antique footstool down from the attic bedroom. It is large enough for her to stretch right out  :)

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 08:23:14 AM »
Not neurotic , just a caring Daddy. I think if she is happy in herself and her only symptom is a runny nose and a few sneezes let her be - as you say there are two of you keeping an eye and if she does have a cold taking her out in his weather probably won't help! :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 07:35:32 AM »
Thanks for putting my mind at rest. She has a slightly dodgy tum at the best of times so I don't want to rock the boat. I got up this morning and gave her some Felix (she has senior Science Plan light to graze on) and she turned her nose up. I gave her Whiskas senior in gravy and she wasn't interested. OH said maybe I should see if we can get a home visit. I then gave her some Sheba game with vegetables (boxes we bought to tempt Willow)  and she pounced on it  :evillaugh:

She is curled up n a pile of Catnip sacks now  :Luv2:

I will just keep an eye. OH just went to the station but has decided to head back as it started snowing heavily - so she we be doubly watched  :evillaugh:

« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 08:27:58 AM by Mark »

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 04:28:19 AM »
I would not take her cos of that......Its true about the anti bs, prob no effect for this apart from an uspet tum maybe....Hope the doll is feeling better soon!  :hug: :hug:

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 23:53:53 PM »
it would be natural if you are being a tad neurotic

but you wouldn't take yourself to the doctor with such symptoms, and I personally wouldn't take a cat with them either - you will only be prescribed antibiotics, which won't work if Alice has a virus, and in any case are in danger of being as overprescribed for pets as they are for humans

you know you would be off to the vet with her if you really thought she had a problem, so I would just keep an eye on her - apart from anything else  it is normal for the nose to run if it is colder - I know mine is
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Alice is a little bit sniffly - should I let it takes its course?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 23:24:16 PM »
about 3 times in the last week, I have seen a clear drip hanging off her nose and she is sneezing 2 or 3 times a day. She is eating OK and seems fine in herself. She hasn't been outside for weeks.

Willow had a few little sneezes when she was dying. I just hope it didn't add to her demise  :'(

If Alice seemed sick or wasn't eating, I wouldn't think twice about geting her to the vet but in this weather, it could make her worse? - not only that, she cries all the way to & from the vet.

On top of that, I know it sounds selfish but I a just beginning to revise and have lost a lot of revision time. I will be lucky to scrape passes in the 3 exams I have next week (principles of management, cell biology & animal husbandry) - I would put a sick cat first but at the same time, I don't want to throw my chances of a degree away for a cold.

Anyway, she is eating well and has been lying in front of a blazing wood burner all day and seems pretty contented. She has just eaten and given herself a wash - I don't know if I am being neurotic.

Link to CatChat