Author Topic: Anyone heard of a neutered female cat coming into heat?  (Read 2379 times)

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
Re: Anyone heard of a neutered female cat coming into heat?
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2009, 18:45:22 PM »
I thought only the uterus horns were taken away, not the whole womb?  :-: I did actually think the whole lot was taken away untill I seen a poster about it at my vets  :shify:

:thanks: for your useless info CC....I will now dump it!  :naughty: :P :rofl: :hug:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2009, 09:41:30 AM »
If a cat is neutered when she is in season, her ovaries are not as firm as usual and it is possible to leave a fragment behind that will cause hormonal cycles to continue. A bit of uterus shouldn't do that as it is the ovaries that control the cycle (same as with us - if we have a partial hysteretomy involving just the uterus, we still have hormanal swings until menopause).

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2009, 09:36:46 AM »
No thanks MM  :sick:
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2009, 08:17:42 AM »
Think they used to just take the horns, but that leaves the risk of uterine cancer later in life.
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2009, 18:55:19 PM »
Ovaries and uterus, theres vids on youtube if you want to see  ;)

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2009, 15:04:02 PM »
I thought only the uterus horns were taken away, not the whole womb?  :-: I did actually think the whole lot was taken away untill I seen a poster about it at my vets  :shify:
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2009, 14:02:46 PM »
It would be worth her getting a second opinion, as if a vet has left a bit of uterus behind, it has a very high risk of becoming cancerous later in life. Don't think it happens all that often, but can. All the females I know who spray do it due to being territorial, so it could be due to the baby, or it could be a UTI.
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2009, 19:58:33 PM »
The spraying issue sounds seperate to the info on cat being in heat. If they are spraying because of the new baby and they got on fine before they should be rehomed together, if a cat hates a baby it wont matter if the other cat goes it will still hate the baby being there

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2009, 15:57:05 PM »
I have neutered males here and they still occasionally try and mount each other!  ;)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 12:50:04 PM »
Heat isn't the only reason for spraying - could it be that they are spraying for other reasons?  Maybe stress due to the new baby.  It does sound as though one of them is in heat if rolling around on the floor, but could just be showing similar signs and if the male cat is entire, then he may try to mount them even if they are spayed.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 12:51:18 PM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 20:11:12 PM »
I spoke to Sharon about this as well. Maybe she should speak to another vet. Sharon agrees with the advice I gave her that if things really don't improve, she need only rehome one of them.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 20:10:20 PM »
Sometimes they miss the smallest bit of uterus during the spey - we have Miss Storm aged 7 a little feral lady all 2.75kgs of her - she goes in a crush cage to the vet as she is a bengal tiger in cute fur - at  home she is a poppet but she calls and paces 4 times a year and has done since her spey at 6 months - she loves the window sills in the conservatory to do this - none of the boys has ever been that close - she packs a mean set of claws for that sort of behaviour! :shocked:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 18:41:42 PM »
Only once - a lady who was talking to me in a shop told me her cat had two wombs, so had to have the op twice because they didn't realise. Not sure how true it was though....

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 18:31:38 PM »
If a spayed cat is comming into heat then the vet HAS left something behind, or it wouldnt be possible for her to call, no bits no hormonal cycles

She said her vet is adamant and told her it can sometimes happen if cats are spayed too early
Lmao, meaning hes no good at fiddly jobs  :evillaugh:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Anyone heard of a neutered female cat coming into heat?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 18:25:18 PM »
I dealt with a call today from a woman saying her two 4 year old females are spraying and was after advice as she has a 5 month old baby and said she needs them to stop or they will have to go. She is going to try as she says she loves them dearly but loves her daughter more and can't subject her to this when she starts crawling. Anyway, she said one of the cats comes into heat and gets mounted by the local toms and also rolls around on the floor etc. I said is she sure that the cat was spayed properly. She said her vet is adamant and told her it can sometimes happen if cats are spayed too early. She said she told him they were spayed when he advised - she has had them since they were 10 weeks old.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Link to CatChat