Author Topic: aggressive playing  (Read 1540 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: aggressive playing
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2009, 19:24:10 PM »
Speak to a vet not reception  ;)
Imo 5 months is fine to be neutered, dont expect him to change over night tho

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2009, 15:58:54 PM »
My Baz is a big cat and when I got him he was approx 3 months but I was unsure as he was huge....Peeps kept telling me he looked 6 months so to be safe off to the vets we trot....Only to be told by the vet that he was only approx 4 months and had not matured yet!

I was told if they look big enough to grab a hold of then they are big enough to take off!  ;)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2009, 15:52:26 PM »
some vets will some won't ring them and have a chat

Offline nutzy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 15:51:35 PM »
Is 5 months too young to neuter?  He is actually only 5 months at the end of September, so a little misleading there, sorry! :-[
Pam

Offline nutzy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 07:35:15 AM »
Thanks All!  Will try all you have said.  Lazer light sounds fun!
Pam

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 23:18:37 PM »
Just bumping as have moved into the correct section....

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 21:31:06 PM »
A lazer pen would also knacker him out, you can get one from the Purrs shop for a few pounds and they ARE really good.....link above  ;)
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 21:28:50 PM »
It could be he is getting hormonal, it could be he is bored, over time it will work out which. In the mean time your right, you do need to ignore him, reacting or squealing will reward his behaviour and make it all the more fun! If he has got you dont wiggle but keep your hand/arm/leg still and dont 'fight him back' eg wiggling. Blow in his face without making eye contact, this often breaks the hold.
If he is ambushing you can you keep balls or other small toy in your pocket and a shoe lace in his favourite ambush areas so you can distract him away from attacking feet. Also wear thick socks or several pairs, it will help break the habit as you wont squeal  ;)

Has he lots to do in the flat? You may have to sacrifice some areas for him which can be messed up and destroyed so he leaves more important things alone.
Multi tier scratching posts, puzzle toys, a carpet wall, shelving he can climb will all help occupy him

Offline nutzy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 21:03:35 PM »
Nutzy just noticed you have put this is wrong section, ask the mods to move and will get more vis  ;)

Thanks!
Pam

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 20:52:44 PM »
Nutzy just noticed you have put this is wrong section, ask the mods to move and will get more vis  ;)

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 20:51:46 PM »
Thats normal kitten behaviour and I would also say it sound's like he is getting a little frustrated, if you know what I mean  ;)

My Harry would try to do that to my arm when he was coming into season, or should I say "becoming of age"  even going to the extent of bitting my head  :shocked:

Your little one should calm down once he is neutered  :)

Offline nutzy

• Adult Cat
aggressive playing
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 20:39:59 PM »
Rajah, all of 5 months has been alternatively cute and endearing, and aggressive and destructive.  He is an indoor cat, now approaching 5 months, and has moments of biting, tearing and clawing.  He will go absolutely crazy, virtually bouncing off the walls and furniture with ears back, and if we try and touch him or restrain him, will bite and claw like mad.  Sometimes he will be sitting quietly on our laps, because he does enjoy a good cuddle, and suddenly for no reason attack our hands and bite and scratch.  I thought it may be aggressive play, if there is such a thing, but am a little concerned that it may be something "in" him, which he will not outgrow.  He also attacks our legs when we walk passed him, and if he is lying on the bed with us at night, he will attack us when we move, scratching and tearing the duvet cover and will pounce on our heads and faces even, with claws out.  How do I go about stopping this behaviour, or is it a kitten thing and will he outgrow it, or stop once neutered.   I have read that we should ignore this behaviour, but it is extremely difficult when your skin is being ripped off your arm and your hands chewed to pulp.  He has destroyed my real plants, my material plants, toilet rolls, kitchen towels, my husband's suit trousers (ouch!  >:(), a camisole of mine and now seems intent on shredding the bed.

Could it also be because he is frustrated at not being able to follow his natural hunting instincts seeing as he is not allowed outside as we live in a flat in a high traffic area? 
Pam

Link to CatChat