Author Topic: Any alternatives to thyroid meds or op?  (Read 1709 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Any alternatives to thyroid meds or op?
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2009, 18:47:39 PM »
can they live without both thyroids and no meds?

Yes, problems occur if the parathyroids get damaged tho

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2009, 12:11:12 PM »
Oh is it cos I know Kocka had one removed.

I hope it goes well but ask all the questions of the vet first  :hug: :hug:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2009, 10:33:19 AM »
I think the point is to remove only the affected thyroid tissue

Offline Tiggerwoos

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Katie cat, Gizmo, Potty, Popsy, Alice, Amy, Tigger and soon to be Sapphire:)
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2009, 08:54:03 AM »
I'm not sure if or what medication she would need if she had her second thyroid gland removed.  According to both vets at our practice it is possible for them to get on ok without both glands, but I'm wondering if she'll balloon up and her metabolism will slow completely.  I hope not!
Katie cat, Gizmo, Potty, Popsy, Alice, Amy, Tigger and soon to be Sapphire:)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 22:16:13 PM »
can they live without both thyroids and no meds?

Offline Tiggerwoos

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Katie cat, Gizmo, Potty, Popsy, Alice, Amy, Tigger and soon to be Sapphire:)
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 21:14:21 PM »
Thanks for all your advice Am going to pop her back in to the vets next week.  Am 99% sure it looks like it will be the op for her.  The iodine does sound like the ideal solution, but I remember being told how fretful she became when she was in the rescue before we got her, as she's such a needy cat, so she'd probably hate me for the rest of her life, otherwise we definitely would have gone for that option.

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 09:13:27 AM »
My friends cat has had a thyroid op and unfortunately it didn't work so she is waiting for him to stabilise again then he'll be off to Bristol for the iodine treatment.

Hope you get something sorted for your little lady

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 08:11:38 AM »
I dont have any advice other than I hope you can sort something out, as untreated hyper-t is incredibly serious.

Totally agree -
If Potty is well enough I would deff go for the Op....get it over and done with for good

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 07:49:58 AM »
I dont have any advice other than I hope you can sort something out, as untreated hyper-t is incredibly serious.
Please spay your cat

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 00:02:11 AM »
Much would depend on Potty's general health, the state of your finances (insurance cover?) and whether she would be able to cope with quarantine for 4 to 6 weeks following treatment but radioactive iodine treatment might be an option

This link may be of help but I imagine you did a fair amount of research 18 months ago

http://www.fabcats.org/owners/hyperthyroidism/info.html

Offline Tiggerwoos

• Adult Cat
Any alternatives to thyroid meds or op?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 23:54:03 PM »
My lazy old cat Potty, who is around 14ish,(aka Harriet, bless her!) had thyroid problems around a year and a half ago.  Heart rate through the roof, always hungry and yowling all night had one of her thyroid glands removed at that time because she had a really bad reaction to the felimizole and her face broke out in weeping sores within a day of taking them.

Until a couple of months ago, all seemed well, until she started with the constant hunger and yowling at night....  completely random, whether it was in her bed, or in the litter tray and nothing would stop her until she had food.

After the normal tests were done, the vet concluded her T4 levels were slightly elevated and it looked like the start of her thyroid problems again as she was acting as she did last time.   Only a slight weight loss, but she begun to get progressively worse.  Nothing significant showed up with routine bloods they took also at the time to give them any clues.

The vet advised thist time to take Vidalta (Carbimazole) as it worked as a kind of slow release version of the Felimizole, but within a couple of days, although the yowling and hunger had stopped her face broke out in sores again.  The vet advised to stop the medication and if/when she became bad again, bring her in for the remaining thyroid gland to be removed.

Well 3 weeks after stopping the Vidalta, she has started the night howling and hunger again.  I presume it is because all the medication is now our her system.  I'm not too keen on her having the thyroid op on her remaining gland, but if necessary I would do what was best.  I was wondering if any one else had had any advise on any holistic products or ideas I could try before resulting to surgery again, as the last op literally seemed to age her over night and she became a lethargic old lady, so I do have a few reservations, but want to do what is best for her at the end of the day.

Thanks!

Link to CatChat