Author Topic: Breeding my cat  (Read 54826 times)

Offline Dar

• Adult Cat
Re: Breeding my cat
« Reply #95 on: June 12, 2009, 19:54:49 PM »
oh i c sorry for the misinterpretation. Yes I found a stud, she has already been bred with a blue point male now I play the waiting game to see if she is pregnant. and yes my seal point grumbles at me when I move her from her favorite chair by the fire place she not nasty of anything she just wants to make sure you know she not happy that you are moving her lol.

Offline dabs

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
« Reply #94 on: June 12, 2009, 19:14:57 PM »
Dabs what makes you think I don't know about the breeds traits? Just wondering. "I would have thought that after 2 years living with a cat of that breed she would have known about traits etc." Before this whole thing got blown way out of proportion all I wanted to know was if it was safe to breed my cat being as she is smaller then average I took her to the vet and got her a check up before she was bred, he gave me the ok to go ahead.

P.S Thanks  for standing up for me I have been given quite a hard time over this  :Luv:

Shall I rephrase?  ;)

Because there has been so much attention paid to the breed traits as being "naughty" and "Curtain Climbers" the comment was meant along the lines of after having been the owner of the breed for 2 years you would be well aware of their traits and so can therefore advise any prospective owners accordingly. Not that you do not know about the breed.  :)

I have a tonk that I rescued a couple of months ago, she is 15 and a real chatterbox, usually grumbles at me when I want to sit in her favourite chair or tea is late. Never really a fan of the oriental breeds, however I am taken with her and I rescued her from a threatened one way trip to the vets.

I am sure that she can live out what time she has left here, grumbling away to her hearts content.  :Luv2:

You have done the right thing by letting the vet check her over first, it is always recommended. Have you found a stud yet?
Nuneaton and Hinckley Cats in Need

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #93 on: June 12, 2009, 13:24:39 PM »
My two bridge lads Bow and Arnie are  (I say "are" cause they are always with me in my heart  :Luv: ) Burmese another oriental breed similar to Siamese.

Yes they def are vocal and naughty  :naughty: :evillaugh: but that it one of the things i adored about them.    :evillaugh: What a conversation you can have!! and the cheeky personalities are great. Cheeky, naughty boys is what i love and i have been so privileged to have fantastic personalities with all my lads.   Gizmo  (a moggie) used to be called Mr Spitty as he was the 1st cat i adopted that made a spit sound at you if he didn't want attention!! :evillaugh:
I remember Vicky Halls saying that she helps more families with Oriental breeds than any other breed or moggie and the cat most likely to be boss in the neighbourhood if allowed out  is an orientail!! 

Dar your little ones are stunning  :Luv:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #92 on: June 12, 2009, 12:55:30 PM »
I just want to comment here. .I have had loads of siamese in my life more often siblings...some where returner siamese that had a few issues and some where not.. But everyone makes them out as cats that will go up and down your curtains and yowl beyond belief... Well... i dont think i have had any of my siamese with those traits. Certaintly they yowl and want one to one attention and maybe i have been lucky... But they are a breed of cat i adore and despite being invovled in CP rescue i would still go out and find myself a rescue siamese in the future.. I have taken on moggies and would not treat them any different... But the devotion of their breed time, esp the males and the dog like trait is something that i love... I sit here now with Bella my tabby point siamese who is a lovely petite girl.. she is head butting my hand while i type and wants a good stroke. She is an old girl now but still active and playful and still very close to her brother Leo who is the cat i am holding in my profile picture... I consider myself an experienced siamese owner and perhaps i have just been lucky in my past cats that i look back on fondly... My jump on shoulder Casper (who literally just used to take on leap while you were standing still and jump on you)... Yoyo an expert pigeon catcher, Jason a loyal and devoted Seal point boy living to 19 yrs of age... Betsy a havanna who loved the outdoor like and was a healthy as  they come until her last few days. Lizzy a very independant girl who made it to 10yrs but loved walking with me in the woods. 

All have a very special place in my heart and none had a hint of any bad siamese traits... And each of them so individual its been a pleasure to spend part of my life with such devoted cats...

I agree Sharon.  I think Siamese's have a bit of bad press as being noisy and naughty (maybe this is because the only time most people have much to do with them is when they are at the vets .... a time when they are most definitely the loudest in the wating room  :rofl:).  I have the same thing with my Abysinnians .... whenever we go to the vet you can see the look of horror on peoples faces as Zephyr YOWLS at the top of his voice like a screaming baby.  No-one believes me when I say he doesn't make that noise all the time.

My parents have always had Siameses and they have never had any issues with any of them.  Or maybe it's because we have accepted that the things some people refer to as "issues" or "naughty behaviour" are in actual fact endearing qualities.  We like cats that talk, are intelligent, that sometimes bring home a full grown rabbit (Rajah was an ace rabbit catcher), can leap on a shoulder from a standing start and can open any kitchen cupboard to get at the "treats" inside!  :rofl:

In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #91 on: June 12, 2009, 11:07:19 AM »
I just hope things turn out better for you than they did for me.
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #90 on: June 12, 2009, 08:20:09 AM »
I just want to comment here. .I have had loads of siamese in my life more often siblings...some where returner siamese that had a few issues and some where not.. But everyone makes them out as cats that will go up and down your curtains and yowl beyond belief... Well... i dont think i have had any of my siamese with those traits. Certaintly they yowl and want one to one attention and maybe i have been lucky... But they are a breed of cat i adore and despite being invovled in CP rescue i would still go out and find myself a rescue siamese in the future.. I have taken on moggies and would not treat them any different... But the devotion of their breed time, esp the males and the dog like trait is something that i love... I sit here now with Bella my tabby point siamese who is a lovely petite girl.. she is head butting my hand while i type and wants a good stroke. She is an old girl now but still active and playful and still very close to her brother Leo who is the cat i am holding in my profile picture... I consider myself an experienced siamese owner and perhaps i have just been lucky in my past cats that i look back on fondly... My jump on shoulder Casper (who literally just used to take on leap while you were standing still and jump on you)... Yoyo an expert pigeon catcher, Jason a loyal and devoted Seal point boy living to 19 yrs of age... Betsy a havanna who loved the outdoor like and was a healthy as  they come until her last few days. Lizzy a very independant girl who made it to 10yrs but loved walking with me in the woods. 

All have a very special place in my heart and none had a hint of any bad siamese traits... And each of them so individual its been a pleasure to spend part of my life with such devoted cats...

Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Dar

• Adult Cat
« Reply #89 on: June 11, 2009, 23:57:15 PM »
 Dabs what makes you think I don't know about the breeds traits? Just wondering. "I would have thought that after 2 years living with a cat of that breed she would have known about traits etc." Before this whole thing got blown way out of proportion all I wanted to know was if it was safe to breed my cat being as she is smaller then average I took her to the vet and got her a check up before she was bred, he gave me the ok to go ahead.

P.S Thanks  for standing up for me I have been given quite a hard time over this  :Luv:

Offline Dar

• Adult Cat
« Reply #88 on: June 11, 2009, 23:46:17 PM »
ya can get either kind of Siamese cats here the more rounded ones are referred to as apple heads and the more pointy ones are referred to as traditional Siamese. mine are both appleheads :D

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #87 on: June 11, 2009, 23:31:15 PM »
I much prefer the old-fashioned faces too - those lovely triangular faces - I shall never understand why the breeders wanted to change them

I had a red-point Siamese for 14 years, and couldn't have asked for a more loyal, loving, companion
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #86 on: June 11, 2009, 23:24:38 PM »
Nor did I JS.  I'm not a fan of Siamese but, cor blimey Dar, they're gorgeous  :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #85 on: June 11, 2009, 22:58:02 PM »
I didn't notice the pictures - gorgeous girls! :)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #84 on: June 11, 2009, 22:49:28 PM »
Hi Dar,

:welcome: to Purs.  Your girls are absolutely stunning.  My parents are currently looking to get a couple of siamese girls as they recently lost their tonkinese girl (aged 16 years).  My parents have alwas had foreigns in the house and they are desparately missing having a "talker" ... it's the first time in 42 years that there hasn't been a foreign living with them. 

At the moment they are in conversation with a cople of breeders who breed "old style" siameses .... my parents aren't keen on the new super pointy look that seems to be so popular nowadays and 0refer the more rounded face shape.  I notice both your girls are more "rounded" .... is that the typical look in Canada.

Hope everything goes well with pregnancy and look forward to seeing the little ones when they arrive.

All the best

Sam, Foxy, Zephyr and Rossi xxxx
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 22:51:44 PM by Sam (Fussy_Furball) »
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline dabs

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
« Reply #83 on: June 11, 2009, 21:35:46 PM »
I am sorry guys but I cannot believe the hard time that Dar has been given over this. Trust me I have bit my  :P over some comments.

She has sought advice, made it quite clear that it will be for one litter only and the queen will be spayed. The kittens are going to family and Dar strikes me as perfectly sensible in that she will follow up spaying etc when the babies are of age. The queen is 2 years old so is not a kitten herself that is being turned out onto the streets to have litter after litter as happens in this country with our moggies.

I would have thought that after 2 years living with a cat of that breed she would have known about traits etc. Personally they are not my cup of tea, if one came in needing help then help from me the cat would get, but it would only be till the mite was rehomed. But that is my preference and decision.

She may be a "Novice" but do we not all have to start somewhere, were will it stop? Novice cat owners, Novice cat rescuers/rehomers etc, do they deserve the same kind of vitreol that has been shown Dar?

I used to breed Turkish Vans and yes, I too was a novice when I started out, funny that eh, a beginner who is a novice?  :innocent:

I no longer breed but devote my time and my home to helping cats of all shapes and sizes regardless, Dar should be commended for asking not comdenned.

I think we ought to concentrate on helping people not judging them. Save your venom for those who deserve it like BSB's.

Dar. good luck for you, I hope it goes well and please do not let some people short sightedness put you off from asking advice on here, we are not all that bad.

Anyway off my soap box, getting dizzy and I shall be hiding behind the settee awaiting the slings and arrows!  :naughty:
Nuneaton and Hinckley Cats in Need

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #82 on: June 11, 2009, 21:12:08 PM »
HK Dar has already confirmed that the queen will be spayed following the birth of the kittens. Please read the entire thread before asking any more questions - she has been given quite a hard time already and it really is not fair to her.

Offline Dar

• Adult Cat
« Reply #81 on: June 11, 2009, 19:58:03 PM »
lol ya my cats both did that when they were kittens. I used to spray them with the water bottle it took me forever to get them to stop, they even starting liking the water LOL

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #80 on: June 11, 2009, 19:54:04 PM »
.....and then when they grow into yowling, active Siamese who climb the curtains.

I thought ALL cats did that?  Can't understand how I don't have photos of our kitties hanging from me ripped to smithereens curtain lining  :shocked:. I aim and shoot (the camera  ;) ) but they just always drop off just before the flash goes  :doh:

Offline Dar

• Adult Cat
« Reply #79 on: June 11, 2009, 18:38:29 PM »
oh i c LOL

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #78 on: June 11, 2009, 18:36:48 PM »
(ok shoot me know all the pedigree haters hehe)

As long as it's a rescue, that's fine.  :)
You are only down the road to Brigid anyway?  :shify:

PS - Please don't perpetuate the MYTH that any of us hate pedigree cats  :evillaugh:

I was only playing Mark ...... ;)

Yeah Siamese rescue is local to Me

Offline Dar

• Adult Cat
« Reply #77 on: June 11, 2009, 18:24:45 PM »
Spraying is a big problem for most in shelters. Also because the cats have been through god knows what they tend to be very skittish and growl and bite when scared. Which can be dealt with I know but to put a cat like that in a family with Small kids would just be unkind.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #76 on: June 11, 2009, 18:19:29 PM »
I'm not having a go, but what sort of behaviour issues? Siamese are a very temperamental, noisy, active breed. They are very demanding but also loving. Are these the behaviour issues your family are concerned about?

Character and Temperament

The Siamese are an extremely social type of cats. They want to be with you every minute and will expect you to share your food, your bed, your life with them, and will follow you from room to room. They often will engage themselves in crazy antics to get the attention of their people, and often attach themselves to one human in a household. Siamese are immensely loyal to their chosen human and they may not tolerate rivals for their affection. Siamese are known to be excellent with children as they somehow sense the innocence of a child and will tolerate their prodding and pulling as the child learns proper handling. They will comfort you when you are sad or sick. Because of their terrific personality and affectionate nature, the Siamese have a large following.

The Siamese cannot be left alone for long periods of time. They need companionship whether that is from their owner, another cat or even a dog. They love company, so two Siamese cats will keep themselves content when you are gone.

The voice is one of the traits the Siamese cats are known for. They are outgoing extrovert and can be extremely noisy when they really want to make a point.

They are also known to be dog-like, and tend to settle best with cats of their own type such as Burmese or Orientals but being territorial tend to bully less domineering breeds such as the longhairs.

The Siamese cats are highly intelligent and need to be kept amused. Toys and scratching posts should be provided for their amusement and they can be easily trained to use a cat scratcher.

From: http://www.cozycatfurniture.com/cat_newsletters/catnewsletter14.html

JackSpratt misinterpreted my comment. I meant that I hoped you'd get the mother spayed after the kittens are weaned. I'm fully aware of the general age at which cats are spayed/neutered, although there is an ongoing debate about the advantage of early neutering. I prefer at around 4 mths. Siamese are also notorious for early heats.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Dar

• Adult Cat
« Reply #75 on: June 11, 2009, 18:16:07 PM »
unfortunately it is, there are tones of cats in shelters waiting for homes many are put to sleep but even worse many are sent off for animal testing  >:( It really is sad. Fortunately for pedigree cats people tend to adopt them first, not so fortanate for the others  :(

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #74 on: June 11, 2009, 18:12:23 PM »
Thanks for confirming all that Dar - I would think it makes a few people on here feel a little better. It may seem an over-reaction, but the UK has an appalling amount of "unwanted" cats and kittens; it's heartbreaking. Maybe Canada isn't quite as bad.

Offline Dar

• Adult Cat
« Reply #73 on: June 11, 2009, 18:09:21 PM »
HK the kittens must be 6 months or older before they will do them and I'm sure they will be done right away, ever heard a Siamese in heat lol ? my family has and they are willing to live with it they have already said there kittens will be done before they can go into heat even once.

Offline Dar

• Adult Cat
« Reply #72 on: June 11, 2009, 18:05:02 PM »
yes she will this is a one time deal, I wouldn't consider myself a "breeder" amateur or otherwise. It's just one litter of kittens for my family so they don't have to buy from a breeder. I know everyone on here is thinking if they want a Siamese why not adopt one? Well I don't how things work there in the UK but here in Canada they are few and far between I'm not saying there not out there but the ones that are seem to have major behaviour issues that my family isn't willing to take on.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #71 on: June 11, 2009, 17:58:46 PM »
HK, I do genuinely understand your strong reaction on this thread. But Dar has already established she's lined up safe home environments and is prepared to pay for spays or neuters for these cats.

Will Mum cat be spayed after this litter too, Dar? Just wondering.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #70 on: June 11, 2009, 17:56:54 PM »
Hopefully you will do this as soon as the kittens are weaned.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #69 on: June 11, 2009, 17:50:24 PM »
....for that price I would pay for it myself.

Great to hear, Dar. :)

Offline Dar

• Adult Cat
« Reply #68 on: June 11, 2009, 17:43:50 PM »
Thanks! at least someone believes me  :wow: also for anyone interested If you call up the humane society they will spay/neuter any cat of age and give there shots for only $25 so there is know reason that the kittens can't be spayed when they are old enough, for that price I would pay for it myself.

Offline Topsy Turvey

• Hero Cat
« Reply #67 on: June 11, 2009, 17:40:17 PM »
 :hug: :hug: Dar.

We know that you have found them good homes once they are born x

Offline Dar

• Adult Cat
« Reply #66 on: June 11, 2009, 17:38:33 PM »
....... they are not unwanted.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #65 on: June 11, 2009, 17:36:21 PM »
Oh dear, another amateur breeder creating unwanted cats. I hope your family and friends still want the kittens when they're born, and then when they grow into yowling, active Siamese who climb the curtains.

Offline Mollyrock

• Senior Cat
« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2009, 15:37:03 PM »
Hi Dar, your cats are beautiful  ;D welcome aboard.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #63 on: June 10, 2009, 15:05:42 PM »
(ok shoot me know all the pedigree haters hehe)

As long as it's a rescue, that's fine.  :)
You are only down the road to Brigid anyway?  :shify:

PS - Please don't perpetuate the MYTH that any of us hate pedigree cats  :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 15:10:21 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2009, 14:54:44 PM »
OMG i have just died and gone to Heaven  :Luv: :Luv:

I soooooo want a siamese, I'm half way there with a Tonkenese  :evillaugh:
But i WILL have a siamese one day (ok shoot me know all the pedigree haters hehe)

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2009, 06:42:08 AM »
What lovely cats!

We rescued our burmese from a breeder (Lirael had cat flu and the breeder was scared it would spread...) and I had family begging me to breed her just once, which I told them no... she's a sweetheart but she does have a few minor behaviour issues ;)

Hope the birth of the kittens goes well and please remember pictures. I'd be on pins and needles the whole time and would end up with a full head of grey hair with the amount of worry.

;)

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #60 on: June 07, 2009, 21:37:33 PM »
Franta says who you calling flighty bc....he says he will come and bite you  :rofl: :rofl:

I rest my case  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #59 on: June 07, 2009, 21:24:14 PM »
What beautiful girls  :Luv:

Offline Dar

• Adult Cat
« Reply #58 on: June 07, 2009, 20:11:13 PM »
Thanks for all the compliments! I will pass the love on to girls  :Luv:

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #57 on: June 07, 2009, 20:07:11 PM »
You girls are just  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:. Mao is stunning (they both are)

I have two male bengals, minus their boy bits  :innocent: and a DSH tortie girl ( she is 7 and was spayed aged 5 months)

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2009, 20:06:16 PM »
Franta says who you calling flighty bc....he says he will come and bite you  :rofl: :rofl:

Link to CatChat