Author Topic: Alice, loud meowing noises when she thinks she is alone  (Read 2169 times)

Offline Skiddaw

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: The Munchkin and formerly to dear, departed Uncle M
Re: Alice, loud meowing noises when she thinks she is alone
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2009, 15:59:24 PM »
Our dear departed Uncle M used to do it when he came through the cat flap- come to think of it, he was around 10-11 when it started. He lived to 19 and never showed any signs of dementia so I have no idea why he started. I think cats just tend to get more vocal as they get older. He certainly told us off more stringently in his latter years. I always imagined it was a 'grumpy old men' thing!

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2009, 07:31:28 AM »
George is almost 20 and is suffering with a bit of dementia and does this yowling when hes confused or wants some reassurance,also his eyesight is not as good as it was so sometimes  this causes him to loose his way round and again he will start yowling, i find that a cuddle and fuss works wonders for him and at night i tend to leave a small light on for him :Luv:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2009, 22:04:42 PM »
I would agree with deafness aspect as Schui was tone deaf and the other cat was deaf and they don't realise how loud/odd they are sdounding but Squeaky and Byron did/do it for other reasons.  They all get gobby when they get older  ;)
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2009, 21:55:24 PM »
As vet is only guessing 10 or 11, I assume she could be a few years older with pretty good teeth? 

Any reason she might need reassurance atm Mark?  I think I would leave it a while and see what happens but try and test her response to sound compared to the others as I've had 2 who were hard of hearing and they got pretty loud. Tom and Dingle used to have loud wails until they realised they had company.

Like Helen says though, some cats are just quite vocal and I can easily tell Freddie, Noni and Billy apart and Millie is the more vocal of the 2 kittens.  In fact she's got quite a holler  :-: but is a bit of a mummy's girl  :Luv:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2009, 21:42:05 PM »
Yep most of my oldies have done this to some degree, Squeaky as Pav says was HT. as I'm with them most of the time if we had a day out later we'd be sat in the lounge and he would go into the kitchen and wouldn't shut up until I called him and then he'd run in to us all excited and shut up straight away.  We had another cat for a short while he was old and partilly deaf and blind and he howled at night.  Schui used to go out in the garden howling and since Schui was pts Byron has started at 5am every morning as if she wakes up disorientated and she also does this when I come in if I've been out - she loves human company.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 21:42:49 PM by Janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2009, 20:40:08 PM »
I had a Siamese who did this after age 12 or so - especially when she came in through the catflap in the middle of the night >:(

she stopped as soon as I called out to her, so I always thought it was a need for reassurance - I don't think she had HT

Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2009, 20:24:45 PM »
She still keeps making that awful noise but as soon as she ses me, it turns into a normal meow  :Crazy: - anyone else's cat do this?

It sounds like she is crying out ooohhhh
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2009, 20:57:58 PM »
Mark try 42 wanting their tea

Pass  :evillaugh:

I wouldn't part with any of mine but 2 would be ideal for me. OH was telling my friend about the sanctuary in the country I will be getting after my degree  :scared:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2009, 20:52:49 PM »
Mark try 42 wanting their tea - we have a wailing ragdoll on the microwave, Jester on top of the fridge, Brodie, Cougar and Puma patrolling the clean empty bowls, Peanut of the shorter tail is currently getting her biscuits in a special bowl along with her water bowl, various ferals wandering in and out of the kitchen being stalked by Sunny

In the family room we have Boston, Dallas, Blue and Smudger sitting on the stairs yowling, Miss cissy looking starved at the old food bowls and Pebbles jumping on top of his wardrobe for his food

Also have to remember to top up dogs food bowls as they are all looking starved! :shocked:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
  • Mr T and Chloe - We will meet again at the Bridge
  • Slave to: Celyn and Olwyn
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 20:06:52 PM »
Chloe does it if she cant find Kieron (OH) - Fortunately, Chloes loudest shout is very ladylike and not too much of a problem BUT ......

Mr T yells his head off if he cant find me - I even tell him when I going out .... he must know the routine as he doesnt seem to fussed then.

Its if he is asleep, wakes and Im not about ....  Im always worried that my neighbours will hear him, and think we are beating him up or something  :-[  :scared:
People Power Works!!!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2009, 19:18:56 PM »
I have Clapton with his sores. He ran under the bed and stayed there for hours after I put his cream on. Before that, his head was wobbling. Willow had a coughing fit today and Alice with her wailing, They will send me to an early grave  :evillaugh:

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2009, 18:42:19 PM »
That is what Phoebe is been doing for last couple of weeks :( My vet said cats with HThyroid are more vocal and he thinks that is the reason for Phoebe doing it! Like Alice as soon as i go to her and call her she stops. She was diagnosed with HT in October but this started recently so i am not sure if its related in her case?
Today i got her some Organic Valerian Compound to put on her bedding and see if it make any difference. :tired:

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 15:17:43 PM »
Macey tends to do this when she cant find me, and stops once she has found me  :Crazy:

I think some of my others do it also but not as much as her, theirs is kind of like a "hello Im home now feed me" meow  :evillaugh:
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 14:43:38 PM »
I know what you mean Mark. Am feeling pretty overwhelmed with my two seniors at the moment. Doesn't mean I love them any less but it does mean I'm in a constant state of fretting.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 14:19:54 PM »
The last time she had full bloods was around 15 months ago. I will keep an eye. It is all getting a bit overwhelming. I don't know how people with loads of cats manage. Kylie is never a problem but the other 3 are always a worry.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 14:13:32 PM »
Vocalizing is one symptom of hyperthyroidism, wonder if thats a possibility? has she had bloods done recently?

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 13:51:03 PM »
It could be an early sign of dementia, Mark.(I really hope it isn't.) But some cats develop separation anxiety and they do that noise when they're worried their people aren't close by too. :hug:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 13:24:54 PM »
a couple of mine do something similar and they are pretty young - Oscar does a horrible high pitched meow by the front door - then runs a mile like he has scared himself and Tilly sometimes does her attractive (not) bengal crow noise when she is looking for someone to chase her

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 13:21:04 PM »
It stops as soon as she sees me  :Crazy: she is around 10/11 but only vets estimate.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 13:22:10 PM by Mark »

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 12:45:11 PM »
does it stop when you give reassurance? Sorry, don't know, how old is Alice?

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 12:42:37 PM »
I have only noticed it over the last few weeks. Once she sees me, she goes back to regular meows. She is a very vocal cat anyway but these noises aren't regular meows.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 12:17:41 PM »
Is it a new behaviour Mark? I know exactly what you mean and the boys do this quite often, I can even recognise which one is which by their wail!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Alice, loud meowing noises when she thinks she is alone
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 12:12:18 PM »
Alice was in the garden a while ago. I was in the downstairs bathroom when she came in. She made that really loud noise that cats sometimes make to eachother when they are being agressive or when they are going to be sick. I'm sure it is because she expected me to be there. She has done this a few times recently. OH said she did it the other day when I wasn't there. Kylie occasionally does it when she is in the hallway and there is nobody around - Is this normal? - I just hope Alice isn't going senile.

Link to CatChat