Author Topic: Any thoughts on Arden Grange Pet food?  (Read 1908 times)

Offline Lesley Frankie

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Oliver, Basil, Ben and the late, great Morticia and Buster
Re: Any thoughts on Arden Grange Pet food?
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2009, 11:41:43 AM »
Thanks Mark, I have checked Zooplus and they actually have a French site too. I'm going to get some Orijen and try it out on my 3. In fact my OH is in Toronto at the moment so I'll see if he can bring some back. :thanks:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2009, 10:04:11 AM »
Zooplus deliver all over Europe. There is free postage if you spend over €39 which is quite easy to do! - especially if you order litter etc www.zooplus.com .

I just looked and Orijen is on offer at the moment. Also, you get 5% off the first order. I want to try the fish version as it wasn't available before.

Eagle Pack Holistic is another one to try. They have quite a few brands on there.

If you use the link on the bottom of Purrs homepage, the purrs fund will also get 5% commission  ;D
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 10:10:18 AM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Lesley Frankie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2009, 10:01:31 AM »
Thanks Mark, I don't think that Orijen is available here in France. I can certainly get RC, Science Diet, and all of the various Purina varieties which is what I have been using so far as they seem to be using better ingredients. I suspect that Ollie may be allergic to a particular protein source so I am trying him on chicken now.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 09:35:41 AM »
Orijen is a similar quality grain-free alternative to AG - maybe you could give that a try?

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2009, 17:26:30 PM »
At least you know what they thought of it! Mine werent too keen on it

Offline Lesley Frankie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2009, 06:09:57 AM »
Thanks for all your replies. I did get a sample of the AG Sensitive but Ollie, the cat I needed to eat it wouldn't touch it. Then Basil decided to throw up ( he must have eaten something he'd caught :sick:) right into the food bowl :Crazy: So, that took care of the rest of the sample so I may never know if anyone would eat the AG!

Catbird

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 18:29:05 PM »
AG and orijen are my two favourite brands for pet food :) IMO very little else comes close. Most of my "testing" has been on my dogs but the ingredients and quality are the same for both species food. I'm really surprised that Catbirds cat doesn't like it as my fussy eater dog prefers AG to anything (even orijen is out of favour at the moment, but when it costs that much for a bag she'll keep being given it 'til she decides to eat! :rofl:) as soon as my two kitties have finished their current bag of food i'll putting them on AG. :) Personally i wouldn't use RC, it's better than the nasty supermarket stuff, but contains too much unnecessary stuff for my liking, and not enough meat. ;)

Yeah, I was surprised too, especially given that she'd wolfed the trial size.  I've tried her on Orijen with the same result and reluctantly have returned to RC.  These high quality foods are great BUT if you can't get the cat to eat them, there's not much you can do.  I think RC is as good as I can get her to eat - I agree that both Orijen and AG are much superior foods but other than physically ramming it down her throat, I ain't going to get her to eat it!  If it doesn't come out of an RC bag or a Felix AGAIL pouch, Madam assumes that I am trying to poison her.  You should have seen the fuss when I stuck a couple of prawns in her dish - yowls and screams of outrage until I took "nasty fings" away.  I've given in.  Fortunately however, she seems happy and healthy and both the vet and her breeder agree.  New stuff is always coming on to the market and I will try other high quality products when and if they appear.

C.

Offline Beth

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 17:52:04 PM »
AG and orijen are my two favourite brands for pet food :) IMO very little else comes close. Most of my "testing" has been on my dogs but the ingredients and quality are the same for both species food. I'm really surprised that Catbirds cat doesn't like it as my fussy eater dog prefers AG to anything (even orijen is out of favour at the moment, but when it costs that much for a bag she'll keep being given it 'til she decides to eat! :rofl:) as soon as my two kitties have finished their current bag of food i'll putting them on AG. :) Personally i wouldn't use RC, it's better than the nasty supermarket stuff, but contains too much unnecessary stuff for my liking, and not enough meat. ;)

Catbird

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 17:45:14 PM »
I've only just seen this thread, hence the late reply.  I very much wanted Dot to try this but, like Mark's cats, she had other ideas.  We tried the AG Sensitive as Dot has a rather volatile bum but strangely, she liked it in the sample bags but wouldn't touch the stuff in the big bag.  I contacted AG, who are very friendly people, but they had not had any similar complaints (I wasn't after my money back, I just thought they might like the feedback).  I passed the scarcely touched big bag on to a friend for her cat, Polly.  Polly thought the food was fine and has eaten it with no probs, as far as I know BUT Polly is an ex- street cat and Dot is a pampered pedigree, so there may be a HUGE difference in what they both consider edible! 

I think AG is better than RC - if you can get your cat to eat it - the ingredients are of a higher quality and are more geared towards a cat's nutritional needs.  If you go to AG's www and contact them, they will send you sample packs, which (hopefully) saves you the outlay on the big bag.  Dot's back on RC Sensible + a probiotic supplement and she has a nice stable bum at present!  I hope you have more success than me and Mark, should you decide to go for the AG.

C.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 16:34:44 PM »
I dearly wish mine would eat as the ingredients are high quality and the chicken is free-range - but none of mine would touch the sensitive version. The hedgehog seems to like it though  :shify:

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 15:28:40 PM »
Mine are all on Arden Grange mixed with Orijen - it is made in the UK and all of mine eat it with no problems
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Lesley Frankie

• Adult Cat
Any thoughts on Arden Grange Pet food?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 15:16:26 PM »
Hello, someone here in SW France is selling Arden Grange pet food. I've never heard of them so I wondered if anyone here has tried them and/or has an opinion on them. At the moment I'm using Purina dry food and we can also easily get RC  but is Aren Grange any better? :thanks:

Link to CatChat