Author Topic: Anyone recognise the symptoms - swollen belly/fluid retention  (Read 4552 times)

Offline Philip

• Distinguished Cat
    • United Kingdom Ragdoll Cat Trust
  • Slave to: Ellie, Bertie, Christian, Saba
Re: Anyone recognise the symptoms - swollen belly/fluid retention
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2009, 21:20:06 PM »
It will be useful to have a full blood count done to look at kidney parameters, Liver function tests and are infection/inflammatory markers raised.

Abdominal ascites can be caused by liver problems. A liver tumour can block the blood circulation around the hepatic circulation causing the leakage of fluid into the abdomen. An abdominal amniocentesis would be useful to look at the fluid in more detail. A high level of white blood cells could indicate inflammation of the peritoneum/possible FIP. Evidence of blood in the fluid could indicate cancer. The level of albumin (if any present) is important.

The problem with abdominal ascites is that when fluid is drained, it will most likely return. Also draining too much fluid off at once can be dangerous as fluid will be lost from the cats cirulating blood volume to replace it.

My Jemilla has a really swollen belly in the end and it was sadly due to intestinal cancer with probable liver metastases. The fluid drained from her had a low albumin count but a high level of red blood cells indicating chronic bleeding from the tumour. Virology came back negative.

Good luck and wishing you all the best.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 21:30:02 PM by Philip »
[/img]
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h61/cheekee_munkee/All-3-together-web.jpg[/img]

RIP Maddy 02/06/2009 xxx
RIP Delphi 21/02/2011 xxx
RIP Skye xxxx

Bring love and happiness to all you do and it will be repaid tenfold.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2009, 20:45:32 PM »
Fortunately that has been ruled out nessa. I hope the OP comes back and lets us know how things are going

Offline nessa (A C S )

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
  • Kai David 11/02/09
    • Animal Care Society (Cork)
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009, 15:41:17 PM »
I am reading the and am thinking has fip been considered might be worth discusing with your vet :(
Hope you get some answers at the vet  good luck
annefitz@animalcaresociety.ie
http://www.animalcaresociety.ie/

My grandson Kai David McMahon Fitzgerald Butler was born on the 11/02/09 at 5.03pm weight 8lb 14ozs

Offline sixfurballs

• Senior Cat
  • Bronte, Dino, Huxley & Heidi
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 14:38:36 PM »
I can't urge you enough to take her back to vet and get full bloods and urine sample run. A lot of her symptoms are similar to those my Purdey exhibited and she had gone into renal failure. She is improving now over 2 weeks later but she was touch and go and still don't know whether its acute or chronic renal failure. It was only quick reactions by me and the vet that saved her. The first night she had to stay at the vet on the drip my vet was very concerned she wouldn't make it through the night and Purdey had only exhibited mild symptoms one day and then off her food the second day.

I don't wish to scare you, just want to point how quickly these things can go too far.

Good luck and hope your girl can be diagnosed and make a full recovery.

Offline lilynmitz

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 14:52:08 PM »
If she's not improving you need to take her back to the vet.  She really sounds very poorly.What did they test her for?  Did this include protein levels?  Be persistent with the vet if necessary, ask for second opinions if they're still sounding vague.  Good luck

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 01:36:52 AM »
Hello Kevin and   :welcome:  to Purrs

Cannot help with the symptoms - don't have a clue.  Just wanted to wish you good luck.

Good luck from me too!  :hug:

Online Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 23:17:41 PM »
Hello Kevin and   :welcome:  to Purrs

Cannot help with the symptoms - don't have a clue.  Just wanted to wish you good luck.
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 00:04:43 AM »
were full bloods done, if so what did they show?

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 17:49:39 PM »
the only thing I can think of is liver too. What were the liver blood results as your vet should be able to tell from them if it is that?  good luck  :hug:

Offline headbutter999

• Kitten
Anyone recognise the symptoms - swollen belly/fluid retention
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 17:02:04 PM »
Hi, Has anyone experienced these symptons?  My cat has been seriously unwell for a couple of weeks. We came home from a week away(neighbours were feeding her)to find our cat showing severe weight loss, not eating, swollen tummy, very lethargic and a strange purr.  The vet has taken bloods and fluid for testing which have come back negative to Perotonitis. Vet thinks it's her liver but she isn't being sick and does not have diarrhoea.  Can manage to eat little bits of fresh prawns and ham and is drinking ok.  Has had anti-inflammatory and antibiotic jabs last Friday which have perked her up.  Any advice much appreciated.

Link to CatChat