Author Topic: am I feeding him enough?  (Read 7059 times)

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
Re: am I feeding him enough?
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 18:35:40 PM »
I'd be careful with hills, it is a good enough food but they can become overweight even when sticking to the recommended guide lines, A bit of wet food aswell would be great and make sure he drinks water..You could always put him onto hills maintenence light if you find he's getting abit tubby.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 18:32:21 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs Shay

If your tea mugs are the same size as my tea mugs, a quarter of one doesn't sound enough to me. A lot of us on here favour a predominantly wet diet, to ensure adequate fluid intake and in Blip's case, that's a pouch in the morning, a pouch in the evening and dried left down all the time in case she's hungry (she rarely eats the dried, it's more of an insurance). I'm not sure about the amount for a growing kitten like Charlie, but someone better will be along in a minute   :rofl:

I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 18:29:46 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs  ;D

I think your young cat would be better on a mix of wet and dry, with dry being left down all day.

My large and greedy adult cats get I pouch a day each , half put down in the morning and half in the evening. They get dry food put down the same way and left out. When the first lot is gone they dont get any more until next meal time but they tend to graze so it usually is never quite empty.

I prefer then to eat a little often rather than two big meals all at once.  ;D

Offline Shay

• Adult Cat
  • Charlie's feeder
am I feeding him enough?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 18:23:32 PM »
Hi everyone! I'm new to all this but the site looks just fab - hoping you can all offer your pearls of wisdom on this one.
Charlie's an indoors rescue cat and my first! He's around seven/eight months old and I'm smitten. I was advised to give him a tea mug-ful of dried food (Hills) a day but the back of the packet says way, way less for a cat his weight so we've gone down to a quarter mug-ful a day as per packet instructions. It just doesn't seem enough though!! I give him half his quart in the morning, the rest at night plus a half sachet at night too because he seems so deliriously hungry. He gobbles the lot and sniffs around for more. From reading the forum I see that some of you have dry food down all day - does that mean you keep topping up?
Please help! Hate to think I'm starving my cat...
Thanks in anticipation!

Link to CatChat