Author Topic: Any advice for hyperthyroid cats? (not mine - I hope)  (Read 1224 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: Any advice for hyperthyroid cats? (not mine - I hope)
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 08:54:35 AM »
Thanks  :)

I will tell her. I have no idea what supplements she is giving him.  :Crazy:

I don't think she would stop meds. She is the lady that wanted us to take a stray in a while ago but adopted him instead  :)

DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 00:33:44 AM »
Felimazole for Tiggy used to be £25 ish for 100 tablets - if the cat was on the max dose that would be two tabs a day so 100 tabs would last almost two months.  It's the blood tests that are the killer financially  :shy:  She'd also have to factor in the cost of a prescription from the vet but either way I still reckon £15 a month is about right.

Edit: Just looked on VetUK and 100 5mg Felimazole (same as Tiggy's) are £26 with free postage.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 00:34:29 AM by Tiggy's Mum - Helen »

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 21:36:59 PM »
I'm not sure how much I pay for Max's Vidalta as the insurance covers it anyway, but I don't think the cost of the drugs is that high, its the 2-3 monthly blood tests which mount up to monitor the condition!

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 21:30:55 PM »
I agree with MM tell her not to stop the tablets, it may be that she is being charged too much for the tablets. I just checked my invoice for Felimazole and my old vet charged £22.32 for 30 tablets but my new vet charges £40.25 for 100 tablets .

Phoebe and Boy are both HyperT and they had the blood test done every month but as Rosella said now the test is less frequant.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 21:29:05 PM »
I understand (although havent tried it for hyperT) that homeopathic remedies can reduce the need for conventional drugs. It won't work out much cheaper though IF the women consults with a homeopathic vet as generally consultations with a homeopathic vet are more expensive than conventional vets (much longer consult though - usually about an hour at least), but the remedies themselves arent as expensive as drugs.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 21:13:10 PM »
I tried homeopathy for myself Mark not my cats (although I have had hyperthyroid cats) but only after conventional treatment got me stable, I don't like taking drugs but unfortunately hyperthyroidism does need conventional medicine as far as I know. 
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 21:22:28 PM by janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 21:02:00 PM »
My only real experience with HyperT Mark was with my nasty cow of a neighbour in summer 2007 (now thankfully moved). Cat called Zimmy.  Do you remember by any chance?  Bloody nightmare but, from what I recall, the continuing meds where not expensive, it is more likely the cost of continuing blood tests to monitor situation that brings the cost up to £60 p/mth?  The blood tests should be less frequent as the condition is stabilised with meds?

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 20:07:21 PM »
Change her vet or buy online! Please explain if she stops treating him with real drugs then there are serious issues with blood pressure and blindness, that would be more risky than a GA

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Any advice for hyperthyroid cats? (not mine - I hope)
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 20:00:24 PM »
I was talking to a woman in a pet shop today who said her cat has been diagnosed with it but as he is 17, she doesn't want to risk GA. She said the meds and supplements are costing her £60 a month. I just wondered if anyone had any other ideas. She has been considering homeopathy.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Link to CatChat