Author Topic: Arthritis help  (Read 3887 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: Arthritis help
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2009, 20:55:26 PM »
Here is the one with a fleece cover. http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?dept_id=317&pf_id=0393

A bit cheaper here with free delivery but as I said earlier, Size 2 (medium) is best for a cat as the small is a bit too small for a cat to lie down comfortably on. http://www.petmeds.co.uk/p-180-flectabed-thermal-bedding.aspx
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 21:05:24 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2009, 20:51:27 PM »
Sixfurballs - all the current cats have been diagnosed partly from the vet feeling joints and partly their age (more so in Zi's case, as she is nearly 19). Two of my bridge babes were diagnosed after x-rays, it might be beneficial to have x-rays done on your cat, and to start him on glucosamine supplements now.

I would be interested in a link to Flectabeds, I am looking for something I dont need to have plugged in, as there are a shortage of plug sockets in this house, and esp in the bedroom, shame as I would love an electric blanket.
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2009, 20:24:26 PM »
Thanks Mark  ;D
I think the small companion one would do for Byron - also for Schui but he doesn't do beds unfortunately, do you leave the bed plugged in most of the time?

Would schui lay on a mat? I have heat pads that are flat and with a fleece over he would be able to lie on it very nicely but not be enclosed like a bed

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=73_325&products_id=1714

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2009, 18:38:42 PM »
I have loads of fleeces, duvet and blanket type so I'm ok there then  :)
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2009, 18:24:48 PM »
They are also good for support. They are firm but with some give - a bit like an orthopaedic mattress. I buy small £1 fleeces and the heat still goes throug them but keeps the bed clean - also cosier for them  :Luv2:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2009, 16:21:55 PM »
That's very economical Mark and I think Byron would love one, she was about that weight but I think she has put some some on I will have to weigh her.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2009, 15:24:13 PM »
As you know, Willow is 2.5kg and if she weighed any more, it would be too small. I leave it on all the time. I did the sums a while ago and it worked out that left on 24/7 from October til April, it used £7 worth of electricity.

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2009, 15:21:10 PM »
Thanks Mark  ;D
I think the small companion one would do for Byron - also for Schui but he doesn't do beds unfortunately, do you leave the bed plugged in most of the time?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 15:22:18 PM by janeyk »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2009, 15:14:00 PM »
The bed?

Size 2 medium is best for a cat. Alice's has a faux suede cover but I wish I had got the one that comes with a fleecy cover like this.

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?dept_id=317&pf_id=0393

They really do reflect the heat although the ultimate is the constant companions bed - Alice adores hers  :Luv2:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-CONSTANT-COMPANIONS-HEATED-PET-DOG-CAT-BED-MEDIUM_W0QQitemZ260343018228QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs?hash=item260343018228&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Again, the medium is best for an average cat. I bought Alice a small one but it was TOO small - Willow now has the small and Alice has a medium.

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2009, 15:06:16 PM »
Which one is that Mark?

eta: I've just googled and think I've found it  :)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 15:12:46 PM by janeyk »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2009, 15:03:05 PM »
I think they x-ray. Alice has a Flectabed and she loved it until the heated "Constant Companions" bed came along  :Luv2:

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2009, 10:20:11 AM »
I am interested too Christine

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2009, 10:11:13 AM »
Where do people get Flectabeds from?  I'm interested to know if one might help Blip.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline sixfurballs

• Senior Cat
  • Bronte, Dino, Huxley & Heidi
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2009, 10:09:14 AM »
Desley I'm just wondering how you got the diagnosis of arthritis. My Dino was very badly injured in an RTA 5.5 years ago. He had to have 1.5 toes amputated but luckily our wonderful vets saved his leg (it was completely degloved). However, he holds that leg up a lot and now the wrist is starting to twist. I really think he will develop arthritis in it and have expressed this concern to my current vet. At the moment she thinks he is still fine but does say we need to monitor the leg. I'm also worried about what will happen to the blood flow to his foot if the wrist twists too badly. Anyway, sorry don't mean to hijack your thread just wondering how you got the diagnosis?

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2009, 18:23:54 PM »
I invested in a Flectabed Q for Martha - now 23, at Christmas and she prefers it over all her other woolly blankets/fleeces!  She'll only move off it for my lap, or a spot in the sunshine.
It seems to have improved her mobility - she's started jumping on/off the bed/chair again, frequently ignoring the steps we've supplied.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2009, 20:04:59 PM »
Vet bed is good, will draw any wet straight down so make sure theres a thick towel underneath it, can be washed over and over, tough stuff  :wow:

My practice has a vet that is qualified for acupuncture, may be the same for yours and not need a long drive anywhere, its something i plan to try for lola when her hips start playing her up.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2009, 19:40:09 PM »
Flectabeds are washable. They just reflect body heat. They do get quite warm. They are fine for cats that produce their own body heat but not for kittens.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2009, 16:02:57 PM »
Hmm, my Petstages ones do get ruined with urine, found that out with Rosie. Might try the Snugglesafe ones instead.
Please spay your cat

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2009, 16:01:40 PM »
The heat pad we use (a Snugglesafe) wouldn't be damaged or dangerous if weed upon and the cover is easily washable.  Why not treat yourselves to a couple of hotties?  It can't hurt (apart from Molly's feelings).
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2009, 15:56:53 PM »
Last time I tried to give Molly a heat pad, she acted as though I had put poison in her bed!! I daren't give one to JEannie due to his bed wetting tendencies (although that hasn't happened for a while), and I Dont seem to possess a hot water bottle, which is odd as I have a circulation problem and am always cold.
Please spay your cat

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 15:54:48 PM »
I don't mean the mussel extract as they found that hopeless in people.

I can't find any support for that, swampmaxmum, and I checked the website of the Arthritis Foundation: can you give a reference?  Only my understanding is that numerous clinical trials have found green lipped mussels very efficacious in human arthritis.

They certainly helped my mother but that's an anecdote, of course, not a clinical trial.

How about warmth, Desley - a heat pad or hot water bottle?

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 14:27:29 PM »
Cheers Mark, might try Noractive, and I do have some Omega3 Fish Oil that I could try, I think Molly takes that.
MrsR - I wouldnt put the cats through the travel for acupuncture, none of them like travelling (fortunately the vet is 3 min away, and they are noisy enough for that), and the vet might think I am barmy if I ask for a referral to an acupunturist for them.
Liz - I wouldnt touch Rimadyl, the side effects on that were worse than Metacam, and if it hasn't been licenced for use in cats yet (which it hadn't when Tiger was still alive), then the vets could only prescribe it once they could prove nothing else works, whcih is unlikely with 3 cats. Also, it is a good size tablet for dogs, but not for cats.
Please spay your cat

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 12:19:28 PM »
Rymadyl is one to try worked on our old dogs they were trying to licence it for cats
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 10:36:14 AM »
did you see in the papers at the weekend that the human arthritis foundation has a study that says fish oils really help, not so much glucosamine. Of course that's people,not cats, but can cats safely take fish oil capsules? I don't mean the mussel extract as they found that hopeless in people. Just a thought.

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 10:33:26 AM »
How about accupuncture - I have seen it work wonders on horses and dogs with arthritis.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 08:59:18 AM »
I know they all contain the same active ingredients so it must be the additives/binders that cats don't like. AFAIK, Noractive doesn't have any additives so should be palatable being only mollusc?. Seraquin also has Turmeric  :Crazy: - but I think it is supposed to be an active ingedient - I assume given the size, it also has bulking agents etc.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 07:52:30 AM »
Already tried crushing Seraquin, that didn't go down well either. I might look at Noractive then, thanks Mark. I just dont want to buy loads of arthritis meds they wont take, I have already tried ArthriAid, they all ate it the first few times, but then never again!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 23:38:43 PM »
Alice wouldn't take Seraquin - I have been giving her Noractive (from VetUK) mixed in her food and she eats it no problem - admittedly, I mix it in a bit of Salmon every night  :evillaugh: - It is about £5 for 30 sachets. I wonder if they would eat the seraquin crushed in food? - I got a pill cutter/crusher from Holland and Barrett the other week for Willow's Fortekor and it works fine  :)

Just had a thought. The cat dose is 100mg. They also sell a 300mg dose in 30's for about £1 a box more. You could split a dose over 3 cats and save money? - As long as they get roughly the right dose, I'm sure it would be fine?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 23:44:01 PM by Mark »

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Arthritis help
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 22:36:27 PM »
AT the moment, 3 of the cats in teh house are arthritic (the three eldest) - none will take Seraquin, I have tried MEtacam on two of them without much success, and not tried on the third, as she is nearly 19 and not had bloods done since last Apr, so want her re-testing first. Molly hardly has any issues, she has had 2 bad flare ups in 3 years, so not too concerned about her. Zi has just started limping, when she was fine, she liked Seraquin, now she needs it, she wont eat it!! Jeannie is the worst, it is his back legs. Vet couldnt really suggest any other supplements as they all contained the same, but does anyone have any other suggestions? Molly hates anythign being added to her food, and Zi doesn't eat a lot of wet food.
Please spay your cat

Link to CatChat