Author Topic: Apart from fat/pregnant things to cause huge belly - FIP - RIP little girl  (Read 6727 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Apart from fat/pregnant things to cause huge belly - FIP suspected
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 12:39:11 PM »
I do hope its not FIP and my heart goes out to you and this little one  :hug:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 11:10:46 AM »
Angie we lost Gem to FIP and found that steroids helped for a little while and kept her appitite - we also got injections as opposed to tab;ets and found this easier on the hands!

I hope it isn't but if it is it will be very fast and so sad so  :hug: for you and the wee one
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 10:05:50 AM »
I took her in to the vets again today as her stomach is getting bigger.
The vet seems quite sue that it is FIP and has said its not really worth testing for as its inconclusive and expensive.
she has a slight temp so has had a jab and we have some diuretics to give her - just lost one finger with her first dose.

Appointment in 2 weeks time.

Have just read the relevant sections and websites. if any of you have experience and can give some advice please do - either here or pm.

Thanks.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
Re: Apart from fat/pregnant things to cause huge belly?
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 18:51:16 PM »
dodgy liver can cause hard, bloated tums but I imagine she'd be vomiting and very nauseous. Maybe it's irritable bowel as well? Is she constipated and have you tried lactulose? Hope it's nothing to worry about.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 17:57:45 PM »
I had a problem with Becky, Candice said she looked like Mr Potato Head  :sneaky:  There didn't seem any reason for it whatsoever but when I had her spayed, Sean did an ex lap on her which involved cutting her down her middle, pulling everything out and checking her, nothing was untoward but when he put her bits back in she was fine  :-:  I think with her she had something twisted which may have been causing bloatedness and when her bits were pulled out it corrected itself.  This is the only explanation we could think of.  Another I had in was Quasi, she kept bloating and if you squeezed her tummy you could hear the gas coming out, so with her it was wind but there may have been other issues going on with her as when all this started she suddenly took ill and I had to have her pts.  It's hard to say, there are so many things and without exploratory tests I think it's a case of trial and error, but whatever I hope you get to the cause of the problem  :hug:  :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 17:18:41 PM »
Alice has a big bloated stomach. They did all kinds of tests including ultrasound, but came up with nothing. In the end, the vet put it down to malnutrition. Although she is (very) well nourished now, it has never gone. She looks like she has swallowed a grapefruit.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 17:19:28 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 17:10:51 PM »
air, wind,worms and tumour but sasa is built like rugby ball and does have quite a large tummy but reckon it wobbles.

misa also has a largish tummy but although solid its not tight like a drum anf if thats how your kittys is then i would have a vet check again. my be an xray to check.

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
Apart from fat/pregnant things to cause huge belly - FIP - RIP little girl
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 17:06:59 PM »
One of my cats has such a huge belly she now now looks like a rugby ball with legs. I took her to the vets about 4 months ago and the vet said she could only feel a layer of fat. She's quite a smallcat, about 4 years old and its not a wobbly belly but a swollen one and very tight.

Apart from FIP (which I think would have taken her by now) or a nasty tumour I can't think of what else (apart from fat) it could be.  The rest of her body is fairly normal and she is behaving as usual and if it is one of the above there is little that can be done.

Any other causes that I should be considering? Do some cats , like humans, just put weight on in different places?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 13:55:14 PM by Angie (covcats) »

Link to CatChat