Author Topic: Aloe vera gel on a scabby wound that's taking it's time to heal.  (Read 2067 times)

Offline kp76

• Adult Cat
Re: Aloe vera gel on a scabby wound that's taking it's time to heal.
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2009, 09:21:38 AM »
It's amazing the difference it's made to the wound already after just one application. Hopefully i'll be able to take her collar off permantly very soon.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2009, 01:07:02 AM »
Thanks for that hun, xxx  :hug:

Offline kp76

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 21:35:06 PM »
Hi dawn, i've found out from my vet that it's ok to use aloe vera gel on my cat so long as she doesn't ingest it. Fortunately Storm has a collar on so can't get to the wound on her shoulder so i'm giving it a go.

Offline kp76

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2008, 15:27:26 PM »
Dawn i'll let you know what the vet says on monday when i've taken Storm in for her appointment.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2008, 08:15:24 AM »
One thing I've found that works really well to help dry / heal feline cuts and scrapes quickly is the Vetzyme antibacterial powder - especially in places where cats can't reach to lick the stuff off. It's about £3 for a little dispenser pot and well worth it at that price.

I'm wondering whether this would work for Becky, she has gouged lumps out of herself again and has made a nice mess of under her chin.  I've had to use steroid cream on it to stop it itching but I don't really like using it unless I have to.   kp76 let me know what the vet says about Aloe Vera, I may give it a whirl if they say it's ok  :hug:

Offline Reynard

• Super Cat
  • Pearl & Poppy
    • Post 14 Digital Motorsport Photography
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2008, 22:01:30 PM »
One thing I've found that works really well to help dry / heal feline cuts and scrapes quickly is the Vetzyme antibacterial powder - especially in places where cats can't reach to lick the stuff off. It's about £3 for a little dispenser pot and well worth it at that price.

Offline kp76

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2008, 17:31:29 PM »
Thanks for the link wibblechick i'll certainly ask the vet if it'll benefit my cat. I swear by aloe vera for any skin conditions i have so i thought it may help it this case. I hope it does.

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
  • Mr T and Chloe - We will meet again at the Bridge
  • Slave to: Celyn and Olwyn
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2008, 16:40:25 PM »
http://seanymph.brinkster.net/aloe_cat.htm

Some interesting stuff on using Aloe Vera on cats  :)

People Power Works!!!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2008, 16:36:08 PM »
Aloe vera is generally considered to be safe. My concern is with glooping up a nice wound that is healing but just taking its time, patience is the key with this kind of problem  ;D

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 16:28:48 PM »
I agree best speak to the vet to find out if it's safe first. AFAIK Aloe Vera is drawn from the lily family so I'd be very careful before using it. Having said that, someone tried to sell me an aloe vera product that they said was ok (but they weren't a vet).

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 16:19:58 PM »
Best to speak to your vet tomorrow morning before applying anything, wounds that are open to air and just kept clean tend to heal better. Any creams/gels especially oily ones can create problems as the base can harbour bacteria

Offline kp76

• Adult Cat
Aloe vera gel on a scabby wound that's taking it's time to heal.
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 01:23:46 AM »
Hi, i have a cat that has a wound on her back since i adopted her from the vets 3 weeks ago. The wound is healing v slowly & i'm wondering if it would be safe to use aloe vera gel on it to help speed up the healing process. My cat can't lick  the wound as she's wearing a lampshade collar but she keeps scratching it & lifting some of the scab off. She goes back to the vets on the 29th & was given a long acting antibiotic jab at the last visit along with the collar.

Link to CatChat