Author Topic: Arthritis  (Read 1793 times)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
Re: Arthritis
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2007, 22:28:49 PM »
Just to second what Desley and Sam say.

Gandolf used to lie like that all the time. Have to say I thought nothing of it. Hope I was right! Our Tom has arthritis and never lies like that but he has it in his back legs.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2007, 08:13:02 AM »
If it doesn't seem to bother her, you could leave it till her yearly check up, but it certainly is worth being looked at at some point, as broken pelvis's can cause arthritis issues later in life. There are lots of supplements you can use, but you need to have it diagnosed first.
Please spay your cat

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2007, 22:47:36 PM »
Lisa,

Foxy often lies like that, front paws tucked in and back legs straight out behind her with her back feet pads facing the ceiling .. she looks like a seal  :rofl:

I wouldn't worry too much about it ... sounds perfectly normal to me ;)
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2007, 20:36:44 PM »
I have had cats and a dog on Metacam for Athritis and they did really well, saw such an imporvement within a few weeks (although it can cause kidney trouble so i have been told)

saffron

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 14:06:22 PM »
I would get her checked out at the vet then

Offline Lisa

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 12:16:05 PM »
Do you mean she is laying down like a rabbit, front legs forward & back legs straight out behind her & has she only just started doing this?
No, imagine if your doing a press up, a bit like that, with her front legs normal, and her back legs flat on the floor.  Its really hard to describe!!She has done it every now and again, but I've noticed it a bit more recently. suppose cats all stretch in different ways, but I keep an eye on her with the vet talking about arthritis before, and with her getting on a bit now :Luv: :Luv:

saffron

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 11:45:44 AM »
Do you mean she is laying down like a rabbit, front legs forward & back legs straight out behind her & has she only just started doing this?

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 11:21:15 AM »
It might be worth taking her to the vet for a check up.  I have read somewhere that green lipped muscule extract products can help mobility in cats with arthritis but again this is something that is best discussed with your vet.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 09:46:24 AM »
Has anyone got a cat with arthritis and is there anything I can do? she certainly isnt in any pain and I dont fancy a trip to the vets cos it totally stresses her out

Unfortunately we can only assume what it is, I am afraid the vet is the only person who can diagnose for sure
and prescribe the most effective treatments. Although it costs more perhaps a home visit could be the answer to the stress problem.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Lisa

• Adult Cat
Arthritis
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 09:40:48 AM »
Morning all
When my Cleo was about 1, she broke her pelvis. She was fine after a couple of weeks, and is still running around like a loon and she is coming up for 12 now.
What I've noticed recently is that after she has been asleep for a while, she always has a good stretch anyway, but lately she has been stretching her back legs by keeping her front legs straight and flattening her back legs to the floor, if you get what i mean.
I remember vaguely the vet at the time saying she may get arthritis in later years, but it was well over 10 years ago and I cant remember much else  :-:
My other cat of the same age doesnt stretch like that, just wondered if it was perhaps her legs are getting a little stiff in her old age? ;)
Has anyone got a cat with arthritis and is there anything I can do? she certainly isnt in any pain and I dont fancy a trip to the vets cos it totally stresses her out  :( :(

Link to CatChat