Author Topic: Anal glands  (Read 1233 times)

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
Re: Anal glands
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 11:24:03 AM »
I don't really want to stress him with a vet visit really unless I have to at the momement given the stressful visit on monday.

I wonder if he was a bit stressed at being given his tablets, because what you said Den makes sense, back in the summer(!!!!!!) we were in the garden with Jess and I was giving him a good old back rub and he expressed his anal glands on me  :sick: :sick:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 10:58:02 AM »
Blip has had blocked anal glands, but there wasn't any outward sign apart from a slight build-up of old fur - which is what prompted me to take her to the vet.  Worth getting that checked out though as blocked anal glands are painful and need to be expressed by the vet (which is also painful, but quick).

PS If it does turn out to be blocked anal glands, you should probably consider adding a little more fibre to Jess's diet.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 10:53:55 AM »
Was he a bit stressed when you gave him his pill? An animal will sometimes express their glands when frightened or sometimes overly happy .. and it pongs  :sick:

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 10:45:43 AM »
not sure, my Schui sometimes starts skidding on the floor and plucking his tail and then I take him to the vet and usually it's his anal glands which are blocked.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
Anal glands
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 10:34:29 AM »
Now bladders and wee I now know a lot about but anal glands I don't!

Last night we gave Jess his tablets and when we took him off the work top there was a bit of a smelly smell, I had a sniff  :sick: wiped the surfaces down with an anti bacterial wipe!

Hubby was looking at Jess's bottom area and it looked a bit juicy (his words not mine).

This morning the same thing happend, and someone has a runny tummy.

Any thoughts or ideas?

:thanks:

Link to CatChat